Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 AM

75 posts, read 346,659 times

Advertisements

Why are there so many homes without bathrooms? I did notice that most of these are out of the way. And as soon as you do find a house with a bathroom the price goes up. Is it because you can't dig a spetic tank? Are there rules and regulations? Or, is it just easier to build an outhouse? I don't know if I can handle waking up in the middle of the night and going outside to use the bathroom.
Has anyone had the experience of living without one and was it a big hassle? Also, what about bathing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 AM

145 posts, read 568,481 times
I was just getting ready to ask the same question.

I've been researching gray water systems, water deliveries, outside water storage tanks, heated outhouses, and (gasp) outside showers.

I've noticed houses with working wells that have water in the kitchen...but no bathroom.

Is it easier? Not worth the trouble?

I'm the one who needs to live close to where I can find a teaching position (high school math), and have basically decided on Fairbanks. Every time I find a place with some land...there is no bathroom. I'm tossing it around in my head...Fairbanks...winter...cold...middle of the night...outhouse vs. land and being able to live 'out' a bit.

I couldn't help but think of the outhouse situation when the weather said it was -47 last night in Fairbanks.

The situation is really that I would like to live some place smaller like Talkeetna or Sterling but either the high school is very small, or the kids go somewhere else for high school. So Fairbanks it is...for now :-)

Any information on the water situation would be so much appreciated.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:35 AM

222 posts, read 1,043,223 times
"Don't eat the yellow snow"

Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,693,209 times
Alot of the remote locations...it's impossible to get equipment in to install a septic system. Another reason is cost. May folks just don't have 10 grand or more to shell out for septic equipment let alone paying for heavy equipment and labor. Yes I used an outhouse for a few years...and on my island property I'll be using one again starting this year. I know many people that haul water as they don't have a well. It's really not that bad to live that way. People have been doing it for years.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,436,047 times
In the 50s we knew a couple of guys who homesteaded 320 acres within driving distance of Anchorage. They lived without electricity or running water for decades and when they left, turned the whole thing over to the Nature Conservancy

That said, Alaska can be both remote and city like. If it does not have a septic system, do not assume it can have a septic system. The land may not percolate allowing for a finger system or such. The land may also not allow for a water system or well for a variety of reasons. There is a reason for cheap land.

With the new composting toilets, there are more options than just an outhouse. Depends on money. Yes, it is cold cold cold. But it can get just as cold in some spots of the Lower 48.

If you have to haul water or expect to buy building supplies for a remote (aka as Cheap Site) beware the cost and the transportation expense or availability. There is some land you cannot get to except for certain months of the year.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 PM

366 posts, read 383,797 times
I've lived in a remote area, had an outhouse, no big deal. The well was just a shallow sand point so when it froze up I'd just get in the truck and go take a shower at the Inn. Sometimes my hair froze on the way home. I hauled my own drinking water and water for the dog. Again, no big deal.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM

Where do you haul your water from?
We did live in an RV for a while so we know a little about water conservation and holding tanks, etc. I did enjoy living in the RV and when we were in FL when the hurricanes struck we were the only ones with electricity (generator) and hot water and stove (propane).
We were also thinking of composting toilets as well. I can see how it would be expensive for sewage and would raise the price on a house.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:05 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,693,209 times
Lot's of folks in Sterling get water once a week at the local laundrymat or at another persons home. We used to have a natural spring by the local school, that for years people went down and filled 5 gallon jugs from.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:09 AM

Okay one more question regarding the outhouse. My husband and I were taking about composting toilets and having to maintain a certain tempereature, and the question came up about your butt freezing to the outhouse toilet seat. Has this ever happened to anyone here or anyone that they know of?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 AM

12 posts, read 58,772 times
*smiling*......interesting picture.......hahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska