U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2008, 11:45 PM

273 posts, read 379,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear;5366843

We aren't [I
really[/i] OT - I mean, he will have to eat, right?
Good point. Carry on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,958,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maple syrup instead of caramel...I think that sounds interesting and I think I'd like to try it with birch syrup.

You'll get an autographed copy one of these days, HL
I'll trade prints

Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,632,691 times
Food is the bane of my existence. I crave the worst things. Why don't I love things that are better for me.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:54 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,101,185 times
That sounds good, HL

I guess I'm lucky, Mal; I crave the things that are good for me.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:41 AM

14,419 posts, read 13,723,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
and yes i was born late, i saw jeremiah johnson when i was 11 and ever since being in the american west is all i shoot for, the sad truth is when i arrived in colorado it was so idk.....modernized everything was dressed up it wasnt like the 1850s when jedidiah smith and jim bridger were trapping it was the whole resort feel, i having travled so far was a little let down, colorado is so sprawled i need a place where my inner vagabond can run free and colorado is to populated
You don't need to commit suicide by Denali to get that feel...plenty of people living in safer (still extreme weather-wise, but safer relatively speaking, which isn't exactly entirely safe gien the grizzly bears, climate, etc.) spots in Alaska living that lifestyle...trapping, hunting, etc. Explore the state a bit and see if you like it, then find a place where you can live however it is you want without the odds being too high of killing yourself. Buy a little land to live on, maybe get a trapping cabin permit or two on state land to run a long trapline. Better not come across as crazy, some crazy drifter killed a bunch of people in the village near my land years ago. Don't be stupid, you might get run out of town...

Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 AM

I just love how these threads always get on this board. Lone traveler version 2.0. LMAO

Old 09-22-2008, 03:21 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,958,557 times
Perhaps this will be of use to DB and any subsequent climbers who think to use the search option:

Onthamove - read this...it's an assignment. Meaning: READ IT:
http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisi.../English-2.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisi...d/fact2008.pdf

Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,038,124 times
Quote:
not sayin i am gonna die but if i were called home i'd be goin to final frontier lol
Some how ending up as Bear S**t don't seem that Noble.... you have no clue to what McKinley is like, there is a chain of lower mountains and Glaciers that guard it's approach, and any of which can kill you, that is why they fly the climbers into the base camp at the head of a Glacier.

My plan in life is to enjoy it, have had stood next to Grizzlies, Black bears and Polar Bears and none was intentional (well most). But I was prepared in the event things went down hill.

I fly and go all over Alaska and can tell you all about it, I can't tell you much about the Rockies South of Alaska other than they are rock.... The animals are different, the weather is much milder than here and you can drive to the top of Pikes Peak and it isn't a challenge to climb, except for me, being out of breath now days on long climbs....

I admire the fact that you want to climb the "Mountain", but you are not using much common sense in your quest, when there is a lot of folks here that are giving you good information to use, none of which has appeared to have sunk in.

Did you even look at the photos I posted of the mountain, it is ringed with lower mountains that go up to ten to twelve thousand feet, that is from almost sea level straight up. Pikes Peak is what, 14,115 Feet? That is not "towering" above Colorado Springs by much which is already at 6,035+- feet up in elevation. That is about what the mountains around Anchorage look like from Sea Level when looking at them and compared to Colorado Springs looking at Pikes Peak. Not very much difference when you are already halfway up the hill already.

Then you have the Glaciers that can swallow you up when the snow bridges don't hold, or the snow just hides one that you can't see until you are on your way down.... Lots of folks still haven't been found after being lost on them.

Go to Southern California, they have a mountain called the "Matterhorn", it is just what you are looking for, and a lot of fun.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,038,124 times
Quote:
gearwise not much some rain boots and a fleece with a thermal sleeping bag and a tent with a fly that works fine and some hand warmers and long underwear and of course my emergency kit, i dont wanna climb vertical glaciers i wanna summit i wanna hike up it
Um, what part are you not grasping, there is no "Hiking" up the mountain, it is "Climbing" like when you slip you fall thousands of feet before you stop bouncing off the rocks....

Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
gearwise not much some rain boots and a fleece with a thermal sleeping bag and a tent with a fly that works fine and some hand warmers and long underwear and of course my emergency kit, i dont wanna climb vertical glaciers i wanna summit i wanna hike up it
Quote:
That wouldn't get you through the winter in VT. Much less AK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska