Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:56 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Must be a Cruise West ship. On a Carnival boat most of what you'd hear would be complaints about the town, the food, the souvenirs, the exchange rate, etc...
They don't like the exchange rate in Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Hey wrennie, check this out!

Quote:
My husband and I are in our late 40's. We are certainly no spring chickens, but we aren't quite ready for "the home" either. We just returned from our first (and probably last) Alaskan cruise and I just wanted to leave some honest feedback for anyone (our age) who might be considering this itinerary. On one hand, the scenery is gorgeous. We were blessed with perfect weather in all of our port stops (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Victoria). Our staff, table mates and cabin (mini-suite) were fabulous! The food was par for the course of a Princess cruise, however, the activities menu, especially on sea days was AWFUL! Every day at 10:30am, "Hot Boullion & Crackers" was scheduled. Whoopie! "Self-Led Discussion" was also scheduled (I just call that "conversation".) The daily Arts & Crafts activity fell just short of raw macaroni and Elmer's glue. In the evening, events and shows were scheduled for 9:15pm - 9:30pm - certainly not enough time for late diners, especially when a large majority of the audience had already been sitting there for 2 hours (there really wasn't anything else to do), saving entire rows of seats. The staff couldn't do anything about this as the majority of people in the audience were saving seats.) Games were either scheduled only once, or during the earlier morning hours (prior to the exciting hot boullion event!) Because of the cold weather, the outdoor decks were never utilized, which made tables in the Horizon Court very scarce. Many folks would simply find themselves a nice table and sit there with the same cup of coffee for 3 hours while others looking for a place to sit and eat would have to hunt down an empty table; naturally, letting their food get cold until they could find one.
If anyone wants to spend 10 days listening to "elevator music" and watch people (the average age is 75) sleeping, playing cards or passing gas, take an Alaskan cruise. As they say, live and learn. As for us, it's back to the islands!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:00 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Owlman, I can't believe you posted that! Those people got racked over the coals on CruiseCritic for telling it like it is. Which it is...

Old 09-22-2008, 04:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Owlman, I can't believe you posted that! Those people got racked over the coals on CruiseCritic for telling it like it is. Which it is...
I know. I posted in that thread too. Cruises where everyone is ready to keel over are miserable.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 AM

17 posts, read 48,956 times
Road to.....nowhere!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Sending happy thoughts, did you bring an onion???
Why do I suspect a Moose to require more than one onion? Hummmmm, one would be an appetizer to Mr. Moose (Alces Alces) I would suspect, also, think a five pound bag of Vidalias would have them coming from all directions. Is it legal to bait Moose in Alaska, tis legal to bait Deer (odocoileous Virginianus)- Uh, dats de White Tail variety, rite cheer in N. Carolina, season here, well, Bow season is on and has been for a couple of weeks, Black Powder will arrive in November, (still short sleeve shirt weather) & Modern firearms will begin the week before Thanksgiving. One would reasonably expect Turkey Season (Meleagris Galapavo) to begin sometime in November as well, but .....NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO......this is N. Carolina and Turkey season has no bearing on Thanksgiving, instead tis in the spring of the year, usually around April. Yup, thas our State Government, lookin' out for our best interests. How come, as soon as we elect the bas--rds to office, they automatically loose 60 IQ points?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska