Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:38 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times

Advertisements

It was definitely NOT a photographic moment, I'm not that brave - or stupid - depending on your view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Moose can raise up on hind feet and actually jab and box faster than you can blink. They are very nimble on their hooves. I've seen a huge cow leap straight up, spin 180° and come down facing the opposite direction. Keeping a tree between you and them works...but don't hug the tree. They can still reach you with those long legs. Stay back a ways and keep circling the tree. Might take an hour but eventually they will amble off.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Moose can raise up on hind feet and actually jab and box faster than you can blink. They are very nimble on their hooves. I've seen a huge cow leap straight up, spin 180° and come down facing the opposite direction. Keeping a tree between you and them works...but don't hug the tree. They can still reach you with those long legs. Stay back a ways and keep circling the tree. Might take an hour but eventually they will amble off.
Yes, Miss Mama moose stood on her hind legs to reach the fuschia plant (the one hanging above the front door) until I told her to leave it alone. She had already stripped the choke-cherry bushes and was working on the peonies...she could leave the poor fuschia be.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
The oldtimers used to hang IrishSpring Bar Soap around the gardens to repel moose. You might give that a shot around your bushes.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:07 AM

I wasn't real worried about it, they all have to be moved next year anyway when we put in the deck. It was the fuschia...she's blooming again.
I've tried the IrishSpring soap chunks hanging in trees with the mule deer in Wyoming...supposed to be a great deterrent. Didn't phase them any.
If we put in a garden, though, we are going to have to fence it off.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:17 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Why can't people leave these freaking cell phones alone? Everywhere you look someone has one jammed in their ear oblivious to what's going on around them. Especially when they are driving. It's a sickness I tell you, a bad sickness..

Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,214 times
Default thanks

Wow thanks for all the replies & the link. Yeah i know a bit of a dork to be in beautiful surroundings in nature and on the cell but my husband called to check on my wherabouts (I did this trip solo). I think I'm sane, but hubster may have another view on that.... lol. Were some of you the ones I saw selling fish oil cologne to the tourists?
When I went to the Wildlife Conservatory in Girdwood I nearly fell over when the man next to me was reaching his hand through the fence and petting a moose on the head. The moose was there letting him and was acting more like a big dog enjoying his head scratches than a moose. There was a video years ago of a guy that came too close to a moose and ended up under his hooves getting tap danced on, which cured me of any desire to give head scratches. They're not petting ponies and I would give them a very wide berth. Thx again all~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska