U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2008, 04:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,634,626 times

Advertisements

I was an ET for 20 myself. Now I work on power systems and all it is, is electronics on a bigger scale. Still have about 4 yards of technical books on shelves at work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 04:18 PM

957 posts, read 1,570,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
Very well said.... and I agree with alot of what you said.

I was in a relationship where the other person was somewhat controlling and kinda decided how things would be or what we do.

Im single... and I love it and hate it. I wish i had someone other then my 8 year old Beagle dog to share my life with as I feel I have alot to share and give another person.............. but at the same time, I like being able to eat what I please, go wherever I want whenever I want, etc.

I agree with something else several other posters on here have said.. it happens when you least expect it, that's how it worked for me.. be only lasted 6 or 7 months, and its been 4 years since the day we broke up.....

I think the other thing that's hard for me is that, while it doesn't apepar so, I work in a specialized industry.

Yes, I'm one of those guys you refer to as an on air personality, on the radio that talks between records. However, my job is so much more. .and I am interested in finite stuff like technical/radio frequency and equipment issues... which can be very complicated.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but it is very hard to find someone who understands what I do, has an interest in it or even grasps some basic stuff. It is very hard to be so passionate, involved and knowledgeable about the field you work in.. want to talk about it all the time and have someone who has no clue.

As involved in my career as I am, whoever I date has to be part of that....

And you should definitely hold out for that person; I believe a person's career SHOULD be important to them. One person can not be absolutely everything for another. People's careers and interests should have some commonality, or at least a willingness to learn about the other person's chosen career and accept/encourage their passion in their chosen field.

That said, my dad is an electrical engineer. He's pretty brilliant at his field; helped develop cellular technology and satellite navigation systems. My mom is a librarian. She can grasp some basic concepts of my dad's work but has no interest/ability to go farther. She therefore lets my dad have his guy-time with groups like IEEE, etc., and their relationship is over 30 years old and very strong and companiable. They have other things in common that they share with eachother, like a love of wildlife watching. However, if it's important to you that your significant other be able to "speak your language" career-wise, then at least you know a few things to look for; that's more direction than some folks seem to have when choosing a mate!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM

944 posts, read 2,370,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
<snip>
I used to work in communications in the Navy, back when we had to deal with HF, LF, VHF, VLF, etc, so I know something about radio wave propagation, refraction, scintillation, etc.

Want to talk dirty?....LOL
Sure! LOL!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:27 PM

5,231 posts, read 7,762,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
Sure! LOL!
HA. YOu made my day.

I know what you mean by being single and loving it and hating it. I pretty much am good with it until we get to holidays. Arghhh that's another story!

Pssst! Backscatter, F2 layer, LUF!!...Naughty boy!!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
And you should definitely hold out for that person; I believe a person's career SHOULD be important to them. One person can not be absolutely everything for another. People's careers and interests should have some commonality, or at least a willingness to learn about the other person's chosen career and accept/encourage their passion in their chosen field.

That said, my dad is an electrical engineer. He's pretty brilliant at his field; helped develop cellular technology and satellite navigation systems. My mom is a librarian. She can grasp some basic concepts of my dad's work but has no interest/ability to go farther. She therefore lets my dad have his guy-time with groups like IEEE, etc., and their relationship is over 30 years old and very strong and companiable. They have other things in common that they share with eachother, like a love of wildlife watching. However, if it's important to you that your significant other be able to "speak your language" career-wise, then at least you know a few things to look for; that's more direction than some folks seem to have when choosing a mate!
As I said before, I fault NO ONE for not understanding my career or industry, it isn't easy.. sometimes I don't understand it all.

But, when I worked for an AM station once, I got asked, "So when you going to flip on the FM signal?".. pretending like the FCC had nothing to do with it....

Or, "So if you're on the air from Sunrise to Sunset, does that mean you sit there behind the mixer 12 hours a day?" .. forgetting that comptuers are a LARGE part of radio today!

It is important that my significant other speak my "language" when it comes to my job, because can you imagine coming home and wanting to talk about your Studio To Transmitter link going down, the 60s vinatge RCA transmtiter blowing a tube or the satelitte feed going down and having the person at home have no idea whats going on?

Plus, radio can be quite stressful and have me working alot of long hours.

PLUS... radio isn't the mos stable career. Ive worked in Williston North Dakota.. Ord Nebraska...Cocoa/Melbourne FLorida.... Marks Mississippi..Dover New Hampshire and Abbeville South Carolina.... it's eben easy for me to move around because I'm single, with just a dog.

NOT many people at ALL.. wether it be someones wife, husband, boyfriend or girlfriend want to move around like that, most won't and a good portion wont even consider it.. so I need to find someone whos open to change.

That, and because I know my job is somewhat unstable and I may not be somewhere for long, I don't tend to let myself get close to anyone... not because I'm a loner, but because I'm shy and if i move, I don't wanna hurt someone and have to leave them behind.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM

10,483 posts, read 9,680,879 times
My last boyfriend hated all of my friends, ALLLLL of them. He thought one was too bossy & called my best gay friend the "f" word. He also broke things, ripped his sweatshirts in Hulk-like rages, called my mom & dad names, said he was glad my best friend died of cancer, threw my wallet out the car window, called me a **** for my behavior in college & generally loved to hang things over my head & use them as ammo in future fights. He was a peach.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
HA. YOu made my day.

I know what you mean by being single and loving it and hating it. I pretty much am good with it until we get to holidays. Arghhh that's another story!

Pssst! Backscatter, F2 layer, LUF!!...Naughty boy!!

I actually know what some of that means!

Ive been alone on just about every holiday and birthday for the last 5 years , which is how long I've been in radio. I don't necessarily like it, but I've got to weigh the pros and cons.. i tell myself I'll be fine, but I get depressed, but I deal with it.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 PM

I should also add, I'm willing to go ANYWHERE. I actually got a job offer with The City of Dillingham School District's radio station, KDLG-AM 670 but had to turn it down. How many signifigant others in their right mind would follow me THERE??

Old 11-03-2008, 04:38 PM

5,231 posts, read 7,762,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
My last boyfriend hated all of my friends, ALLLLL of them. He thought one was too bossy & called my best gay friend the "f" word. He also broke things, ripped his sweatshirts in Hulk-like rages, called my mom & dad names, said he was glad my best friend died of cancer, threw my wallet out the car window, called me a **** for my behavior in college & generally loved to hang things over my head & use them as ammo in future fights. He was a peach.
Good grief. Peach, indeed. I'll bet we could all play the list the losers game. My ex, the biggest loser of all, is in AK, ANC to be specific. At least I don't have to worry about running into him, and I know he'll continue his miserable patterns with someone else, because he was all about the bait and switch. Complete narc.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:40 PM

957 posts, read 1,570,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Sorry you went through that. I encountered something similar at one time.

I've heard this one before; a guy coming down on a woman's behavior in her life BEFORE she was with him. Now, while I can understand completely that a guy may not want to be with someone who's been promiscuous or wild in their past, that doesn't mean that, if he ASKS for the information, and it's willingly shared with him, that he then has the right to keep constantly judging that person. Either he can handle her past, or he can't, and he oughtta be man enough to simply say that rather than use a checkered past as ammo, like you said.

If he asks for the truth, and gets it, then he should say--well, I can deal with that; let's not talk about it anymore--that part of your life is done now and you're with me. Or he should say "man, I cannot handle what you used to be like; I'll have that image of you in my head forever and I need to say goodbye." But to hang on to someone while at the same time tearing them down for their past...that's so destructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska