Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:02 PM

471 posts, read 1,327,708 times

Advertisements

Man O'man O'man!!!!!
We just grilled some we brought back for the first time. (Only caught one red compared to million humpies and dogs). So have been kind of waiting for a special occasion to cook'em up. I don't think reds should even be in the same catagory as humpies or chums. The best! That junk in the store should be outlawed or called something else besides sockeye salmon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:06 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
Way to go, Mongo. And remember, friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
....Or ruin their grills with them!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Hard to beat fresh flesh on the grill. Now I'm hungry.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:45 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Grilled up a Jim Creek Silver yesterday. Not bad.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Our local spendy market had reds for sale a week ago. But I don't think that $21/lb really qualifys as being on sale.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
Man O'man O'man!!!!!
We just grilled some we brought back for the first time. (Only caught one red compared to million humpies and dogs). So have been kind of waiting for a special occasion to cook'em up. I don't think reds should even be in the same catagory as humpies or chums. The best! That junk in the store should be outlawed or called something else besides sockeye salmon.
Reds aren't in the same category as Humpback or Chum salmon. Reds are the best eating of all the salmon. Silvers are the second best, and Kings are the third best. The Pink and Dog salmon are shipped to the lower-48 in cans. I don't know any Alaskan who eats Pinks or Dog salmon (except for Alaskan dogs of course).

The "junk" Sockeye you are finding in stores are most likely all farmed salmon.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Most of the pinks go to the Asian market. Ocean caught humpies aren't terrible; though people who live in Alaska don't often eat them because they have better options.

Sockeye is often canned commercially; I think mostly up in Bristol Bay.

Quote:
The "junk" Sockeye you are finding in stores are most likely all farmed salmon.
Sockeye do not work well in aquaculture due to their particular diet, and therefore farmed sockeye doesn't really exist in the grocery stores--but unscrupulous retailers may try to infer otherwise.

In some states, retailers legally have to state whether the fish has been dyed (a common practice in fish farming; the flesh of an undyed farmed coho is quite gray). I don't know what the laws are in Missouri where the OP is from--but--look at it this way....wild salmon is very valuable on the market. Even in states with no clear laws about the labeling of farmed salmon, they can't really get away with stating that farmed salmon is wild salmon.

Anything labeled as "Atlantic Salmon" in the grocery stores is farmed. It's a safe bet that anything that isn't labeled as wild salmon is farmed.

Quote:
That junk in the store should be outlawed or called something else besides sockeye salmon.
I'd be interested in knowing what stores and in how the fish is being labeled. It's possible that it is really sockeye, and just old or not the top grade stuff. But if you think it might be farmed fish being sold as sockeye, would you please DM me and tell me when and where? I can and will cause a bit of trouble for any retailer engaging in this kind of thing.

My personal favorite is kings; though when I do pastas I usually use a mixture of king and sockeye.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 PM

273 posts, read 587,704 times
Yes, but in SE we sure do catch alot of humpies. Have to do something with them. Mine, I smoke and use in winter for salmon chowder, and also for dips, and save a lot of it frozen to pass out on the boat in the summer so people can taste what they're catching.
For baking: sockeye is awesome but alot of people think it's too strong-however really really good fried-and good for pickling---baked coho the day you catch it is good, king is good even after frozen and great for canning.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Pinks are what keep the commercial fishermen in business. And Wrennie is totally right; it makes good chowders and pates. It takes smoke pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska