U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Pass on 5 Acres @ Deadman Lake (Near manley hot springs)
Run! Run away as fast as you can! Even for $1,000 3 50.00%
It's OK, just don't expect much. You get what you pay for. 1 16.67%
I love this area and can't get enough of it. 0 0%
Not an area for the timid hearted or more people would live there. 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 13,552,316 times
Reputation: 3508

Advertisements

Was looking up Deadman Lake and found another one that will interest you, it is the same company that is selling the property I posted above on Totek Lake.

They are asking about five times what it sold for, it is not "On" the Lake, it is back aways in the drainage area which means that it is "Swampy" where the lot is at.


Alaska Water Front BEAUTIFUL WEST PROPERTIES

Good luck in your choice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2008, 07:21 AM
 
Location: The Woods
18,089 posts, read 24,996,515 times
Reputation: 10894
It may or may not be swamp, only getting on the ground will prove it one way or the other. Most of the lots there on Deadman Lake were in the $2,500 to $3,000 price range, with some closer to the Lake going higher. It comes out higher priced per acre than my land was, but I have no lake nearby either FWIW, and mine isn't swamp BTW. Isn't Minto pretty far away for people to be travelling there often? But maybe not, when they have snowmachines. I'd have chosen Iksgiza Lake over Deadman Lake if I was going to be in that area.

And yeah, those ebay scammers: I'd love to catch them trying to sell a lot they haven't bought from the state yet someday, I'd enjoy making that phone call to the state...I'm surprised they haven't tried it yet with some of the land near mine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Seattle
12 posts, read 71,416 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Was looking up Deadman Lake and found another one that will interest you, it is the same company that is selling the property I posted above on Totek Lake.

They are asking about five times what it sold for, it is not "On" the Lake, it is back aways in the drainage area which means that it is "Swampy" where the lot is at.


Alaska Water Front BEAUTIFUL WEST PROPERTIES

Good luck in your choice!
I looked at the maps my friend gave me and it is looking like the acres are on the right side of this land. you that water inlet surrounds them. I certainly wouldn't pay that much for land site unseen!


OK. I have two more questions if you all are willing?

Are there any taxes. I probably would just hold the land for awhile if there isn't any huge fees to pay every year. Probably get me as much in the long run as a CD or savings account.

I thank you for the information on building there. I like hiking, could I get to the fishing spots say hiking a hard 3 hours?

Reading the history stuff that sounds kinda neat. Hiking the area, thinking of all the history, this might be where gold miners once hiked, kinda thing. If I did build anything it would just be a simple shelter. I do go camping a lot and my cousin and I have made some crude cabins on some land he owns. He does that reanactment stuff a lot for Oregon Trail events.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 13,552,316 times
Reputation: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander1980 View Post
I looked at the maps my friend gave me and it is looking like the acres are on the right side of this land. you that water inlet surrounds them. I certainly wouldn't pay that much for land site unseen!


OK. I have two more questions if you all are willing?

Are there any taxes. I probably would just hold the land for awhile if there isn't any huge fees to pay every year. Probably get me as much in the long run as a CD or savings account.

I thank you for the information on building there. I like hiking, could I get to the fishing spots say hiking a hard 3 hours?

Reading the history stuff that sounds kinda neat. Hiking the area, thinking of all the history, this might be where gold miners once hiked, kinda thing. If I did build anything it would just be a simple shelter. I do go camping a lot and my cousin and I have made some crude cabins on some land he owns. He does that reanactment stuff a lot for Oregon Trail events.
If I recall correctly, that is West of the Fairbanks North Star Borough, and if so, has no taxes on the land or building restrictions except for what the State has, which are pretty limited.

Building a "Shack" there is still going to be expensive and labor intensive, you have to freight all the building materials in by either airplane or snowmachine. If you are just going to "Camp" there, a tent for the short duration would be a lot better deal, even a "Wall" tent is not a bad deal and can be flown out on one trip of a plane, unless you want a wood floor.

Here is a couple of photos of how I had to haul my building materials out to my cabin site. I used a old Army tent to stay in during the trips when the weather turned bad and when building the cabin. It took about thirty round trips of 80 miles to get all the required materails at the site before I could even start to build a cabin. I couldn't find a builder for a sled that met my requirements for hauling lumber, so I had to build one that towed in the ski track of the snowmachine and could be adjusted to the different lengths of lumber.

You will have your work cut out for you. The cabins on Deadman Lake in the photos you see on the interenet, all were flown out stick by stick or towed out by snowmachine. Not an easy task for any of those folks...

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Deadman Lake, different view - near manley hot springs-snowmachine-towing-sled.jpg   Deadman Lake, different view - near manley hot springs-tent-stay-cabin-site.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Palmer
2,519 posts, read 6,587,466 times
Reputation: 1391
Good photos. I second the opinion on the wall tent. I have stayed in a wall tent for long periods in VERY cold weather. As long as you have a good wood stove and a lot of wood you are fine. It can be -45 outside and +80 inside. Better keep your bunny boots on though.

Forget building a cabin unless you have some trees on your land. If you don't have good long spruce trees you can still build a fine cabin with trees as small as 6 inches in diameter and 6 feet long if you use the vertical log method. Aspen or even birch works fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Seattle
12 posts, read 71,416 times
Reputation: 12
I like the tent. I actually was in the service and spent many a cold night in those. When I talked of cabin it was with trees that were on my cousin's property. Like I said they were very rustic. Though we did haul in some metal for the roof. I would do it more for the doing of it then for long term living in it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Seattle
12 posts, read 71,416 times
Reputation: 12
Default Property Location

Sorry I was reading through the threads and realized someone asked me the block number. This copy is a little fuzzy so I am having trouble on the lot number. It is for sure

block 2

I want to say lot 35,36 or 37. If anyone could give me more specific information that would be great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Seattle
12 posts, read 71,416 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander1980 View Post
Sorry I was reading through the threads and realized someone asked me the block number. This copy is a little fuzzy so I am having trouble on the lot number. It is for sure

block 2

I want to say lot 35,36 or 37. If anyone could give me more specific information that would be great.

No Block 2 lot either 17,18 or 19. sorry. just have a rough fax here. my friend has the better one. I'm going to try and be fancy and attach picture. This is where we are placing it based on the black and white maps.

Not ALL the area in blue of course. but the 5 acres is a small portion somewhere in the blue area.

Deadman Lake, different view - near manley hot springs-deadman-lake.gif

Last edited by wander1980; 10-03-2008 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: trying to be fancy and actually attach pic
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 13,552,316 times
Reputation: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander1980 View Post
I like the tent. I actually was in the service and spent many a cold night in those. When I talked of cabin it was with trees that were on my cousin's property. Like I said they were very rustic. Though we did haul in some metal for the roof. I would do it more for the doing of it then for long term living in it.
The tent wasn't too bad at -40 as long as the wood stove was going, if it went out, the heat did too... really quickly...

It was neat when you went outside to get rid of some of the "Daily Coffee", and at those temps, the night sky is always clear and the stars are covering the entire sky, like you never see them in town.

Sometimes the Northern Lights are out and cover the entire sky at two in the morning... Really hard to go back inside with the show going on, but the fact your fingers, nose and ears are freezing as well as other "Exposed" extremities, you tend to duck back inside the tent....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Seattle
12 posts, read 71,416 times
Reputation: 12
Wow Starlite. That must have been some experience with taking the wood out to the cabin. Going all that way, on top of the world, noone around for miles. I bet not many people in the lower 48 can say that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top