U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pass on 5 Acres @ Deadman Lake (Near manley hot springs)
Run! Run away as fast as you can! Even for $1,000 3 50.00%
It's OK, just don't expect much. You get what you pay for. 1 16.67%
I love this area and can't get enough of it. 0 0%
Not an area for the timid hearted or more people would live there. 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 71,396 times

Advertisements

OK. I know this has been talked about in another thread, but I feel that I am not really on the same topic as the other threads. So please forgive me?

This isn't a solicitation so please don't delete? )

I am not selling any property, but my friend has approached me about buying their property. It seems really cheap. I could easily afford what they want to sell it to me for , and they really need the money. I probably would just give it to them anyway but they want to do this instead. They paid $2,500 and will sell it to me for $1,000. They say there are no taxes.

Since I really don't want to travel to Alaska in winter, Summer maybe, but not Winter. I only see what I can find by satellite view on the internet. I must admit I'm intrigued. My friend hasn't been there themselves. Can anyone give me more information?

What I have found so far...

There a couple Deadman lakes. One is very well developed and one is heart shaped. We are talking the heart shaped one. This place is very remote. Huge area with only 100 people in it. Can only get there by float plane?

Looks like a 5-10 mile hike from the lake to the Tanana river. Is this really possible or is there some huge obstruction I'm not seeing? Or is it a huge issue to hike it. The topigraphical map makes it look like an OK hike
Has anyone camped in this area or done anything there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM

18,088 posts, read 24,993,565 times
You're not hiking in there. Maybe snowmachine in the winter.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Yeah I wouldn't be snow machine in any time soon. I read the other posts that people want to live there year round. I don't want to live there year round.

If I get to the lake by float plane (I assume that is the way you get there?) can you hike to that tanana river? I looked up tanan river and it said fishing year round? but the satallite picture shows it dry?

Old 10-02-2008, 03:27 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,586,751 times
The Tanana River is muddy and brown. Can't really fish in it without a gillnet or fishwheel. It runs clear in the winter, but is completely frozen over from November through April or May. Some of the side streams are clear and are good fishing.

The 5-10 mile hiike is through a lot of swamp. This is the kind of swamp where 1/2 mile will exhaust you.

I don't know, there might be a trail but I don't hink so.

It is certainly not dry, they run large freight barges up it.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:23 PM

Ah, I see! Like I said, I don't know anything here, so I figured I'd ask the experts who are actually there. Fly fishing is one of those things I have always wanted to learn but haven't gotten around to yet.

Though I must say I have enjoyed reading the historical part of things I have found on the internet. The Gold Rush era, serum run and all that.

Is there any fish in the lake itself? Or any side streams within hiking distance? Is a lot of the area around the lake swampy? Any areas I should avoid. My friend has a black and white map with all the lots laid out to show where his spot is. There are roads on it but I'm assuming from the thread I read here those are just on paper, nothing in real life.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM

So are you guys telling me this spot is not a good place to be?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 PM

21,368 posts, read 35,782,648 times
What do you not get out of the replies?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander1980 View Post
So are you guys telling me this spot is not a good place to be?
Depends on what you're after.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander1980 View Post
Ah, I see! Like I said, I don't know anything here, so I figured I'd ask the experts who are actually there. Fly fishing is one of those things I have always wanted to learn but haven't gotten around to yet.

Though I must say I have enjoyed reading the historical part of things I have found on the internet. The Gold Rush era, serum run and all that.

Is there any fish in the lake itself? Or any side streams within hiking distance? Is a lot of the area around the lake swampy? Any areas I should avoid. My friend has a black and white map with all the lots laid out to show where his spot is. There are roads on it but I'm assuming from the thread I read here those are just on paper, nothing in real life.
Yes on paper, not real, though it's possible neighbors have cleared trails along the right of ways.

Fish: I think the DNR's description (on a PDF file with the map) mentioned fish in the lake but maybe I'm wrong. I remember a list somewhere when I was researching the area, it wasn't a big selection. I think arctic grayling was mentioned but don't hold me to that. You could get to the Tanana River for fishing it just wouldn't be a simple, quick "let's walk down to the river and go fishing" kind of thing though. There is fish in the Tanana though so a fishwheel or gill net would certainly make it worthwhile.

What's the lot and block numbers on it (the land) anyways?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 PM

6,381 posts, read 13,550,758 times
The property "Area" around there isn't bad, but if the State sold it to them for $2,500.00, it is more than likely a bit on the swampy side of the Lake not knowing what side of the lake you are on.

If the property was good, it would have been in the $4,000.00+ for that remote of land. I bought on a Lake about 80 miles south of there on the North side of the Lake with good ground and those five acre lots started at about $15,000.00+ and that was about twelve years ago when I bought it and no improvements. The "bad" lots were in the $2,500.00 range starting out and are swampy type with stunted black spruce which grows in really acid ground and permafrost areas.

Then there is the trail system that is around Deadman's Lake, the winter trail system is used by a lot of the villagers that tend to have a real disdain for people living in that region and vandalism is pretty much a tough one if you plan on building anything. The whole "Minto Flats" region has that problem and it will continue until someone starts to put the foot down on them. If you are buying it sight unseen, I wouldn't hold your heart open for dream property.

If you are buying it just to hold on to for a bunch of years, you can double your money someday or sell it on Ebay with terms for $12,000.00 like all the schemers do... (just kidding)

It would be a good place to go out and fly to and camp out, but I wouldn't build on it if you aren't going to be there year round to keep an eye on your assets.

Having said that, there is a lot of good people that are in the area, just the few bad ones are really bad.

Here is a current Ebay ad that is deceptive, about half the photos are of the Lake area, the rest are from all over the state, but they let you "believe" they are all of the same lake. The land for sale is one of the lots that were sold for $2,500.00 over the Counter by the State.

__5__PRISTINE__ACRES_OF_ALASKA__LAND__NEAR__FAIRBA NKS__ - eBay (item 260295157845 end time Oct-12-08 17:18:00 PDT)

The company that sells this one and a couple of others has done so for a number of times, they get a deposit, then when the people either get smart or get out to see they bought swamp, they let it go back and they resell it, although now they are using the Red Cross as a hook, there is no way to verify that the Red Cross will get a penny.

My property is on this lake and was one of about twelve lots that were choice, the average ones back off the lake were going for about $4,500.00 with no view and fair ground, so you can figure your choice at Deadman's Lake is a poor one.

The lot they are advertising is about level with the lake level and that would be a clue to the "bog" theory, not the 500' above as claimed on a "gental slope". A round trip float plane "trip" is about $500.00 in a plane that can carry you and a pilot and some gear. That is the first trip out there, then to get out, they have to come back and they charge you for that too...

There is no road within 30 miles of this lake, unlike the road photo they are showing, there is also no "Old Growth" trees due to a fire that swept the area about 15 years ago. Winter access is by ski plane, dogsled or snowmachine and it is a 40 mile trip to get there on the normal trail system.

Anyway, could spend hours pointing out the scams these guys pull, but the short of it is, your friends prob. bought it from the state site unseen and I doubt it is the property they thought they were getting in their minds eye. The State of Alaska when they sell land over the counter, do a pretty good job of an overall discription of the area, which is closer to what the worse of the bunch looks like, but the higher priced ones are normally way above what they discribed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska