U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 PM

11,772 posts, read 18,446,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Homer Simpson lives!
But Homer wanted to stay. It was Marge & the kids that left him to go save Springfield. Do they really give you money at the border for moving up?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 12:25 PM

3,811 posts, read 2,993,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Souxia, a recent example of that is a thread where someone posted that Alaska was her home state and that she was thinking of relocating --she'd also made a post in another forum asking about their state because she was thinking of moving there too. Anyway, her treatment was a disgrace:

Looking to Relocate

But--I think what really irritates people is when someone comes around with questions like where can they get a job and make a bunch of money to take back to the lower 48. That question was sort of common a few months ago.
I read that thread and thought, 'Why are they responding to her that way?' Not having any answers for her I didn't respond and I didn't go on to chastise anyone because I wasn't in the mood for a 'gang' put down.

As I pointed out, 'conversations' meander. I'm enjoying myself on the political forum. I have not started any political threads here but I have responded in those already started. If the moderaror doesn't close a thread, the subject interests me and there is ongoing conversation, I'm going to talk. If it's gets political, ignore the question or direct it back to the 'point' of the thread or don't go to that thread. I don't understand the venom.

Going back and looking through the archives for answers is cumbersome. This is a forum for conversation, yes? If you were at a party (and sometimes CD seems like a party because of the fun people are having) and someone asks you, "Do you think I could get a job in Palmer for the winter?" are you going to tell them, "Go look at the want ads." I don't think so. I think you'll say, "I don't know." or "Hey, I remember driving by that school over ?? and I saw a sign for 'winter employment'. You should check it out."

Just saying...

Old 10-05-2008, 12:51 PM

341 posts, read 551,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
If it's gets political, ignore the question or direct it back to the 'point' of the thread or don't go to that thread. I don't understand the venom.
Using your words against you (perhaps out of context--but so are most political discussions). From your post the previous page "It has made me reluctant to be an active participant in some threads of interest." That is why I don't like having to move on/overlook a thread here.

Don't think I generally respond with venom (I understand you weren't talking about me when you said that)...if I do, it generally is because I believe someone is conveniently and intentionally overlooking a rational observation that I've made. Of course, they may very well feel the same way--that is why I hate this time of the four year cycle. Politics are like a toilet to me...things ALWAYS spiral down. Depending on Southern/Northern Hemisphere polarization decides if it spirals left or right.

That's my particular pet peeve on this board since August. As I've observed Met's postings, her particular pet peeve has been going on much longer than mine.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:01 PM

16,114 posts, read 16,176,764 times
I've seen Siouxcia be treated pretty badly by certain posters here (one in particular).

My original point here was I don't think that sort of thing is reflective of real life, and that people who thin that they speak for all "Alaskans" are delusional in that respect. It's a red state (becoming bluer each time the Governor opens her mouth, I understand) but it isn't a neo con cult.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:10 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you.

(edit: different topic)Siouxcia and Floyd have had some "interesting" debates. Floyd tends to do that to people.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:49 PM

16,114 posts, read 16,176,764 times
I haven't seen much rudeness to those coming here asking about work opportunities, unless there's a carpetbagger undertone. There was one who wanted to go to Barrow and get rich or some such and I don't think that we were very nice to that person--but we did say things that needed to be said. Maybe it's because we've all experienced, in our respective communities, people moving up for exploitative reasons. But even when we were getting tired of the questions--sometimes there'd be several similar threads on the first page--about finding work on fishing boats, people here were generally okay with it, even if they didn't tell those asking the questions what they wanted to hear.

But--yes, there are a few people here who....well, the ones that have made remarks in the political forum about me not "living here"...they are the same people who, if I had become a rabid Palin supporter, would be posting that I'm a true Alaskan no matter if I spend time in the -48 blah blah blah.

To me it just seems weird. It isn't so much that way in real life. Now and then you might see someone in a bar who's had a few and they go on about how they are an Alaskan, and sometimes they even get maudlin. It's embarrassing to be around.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:11 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,533,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Good morning, guys/gals.
G'mornin' to ya as well, Icarian, (as in follower of Icarus? as opposed to Dedalus? I think they were the original father to sun combo, son to sun as well) actually, Icarus, I believe, fared not so well as his father, but..... he did soar higher. If I am off base with your symbolism, OOPS, sorry. - D

Old 10-05-2008, 08:06 PM

8,680 posts, read 10,040,446 times
Duh, you peeps, so Siouxcia, what do you want to know in particular...., quiet boys, no politics......????? Know you are coming from MN, Iowa border, so you have a good grip on weather and will do fine..., you are in medical field right????

Old 10-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
G'mornin' to ya as well, Icarian, (as in follower of Icarus? as opposed to Dedalus? I think they were the original father to sun combo, son to sun as well) actually, Icarus, I believe, fared not so well as his father, but..... he did soar higher. If I am off base with your symbolism, OOPS, sorry. - D
Naw, you're good (now) Dusty. I wish that I had put that much thought into the handle back in 95 when I needed an AOL logon. As I recall, I put "I" and "care" together (think sarcastic undertone) and came up with that. I was at the Army's flight school at the time, so the meaning did morph into the mythological Icarus after I moved away from Lower Alabama and needed a logon at the next locale.

So "auspicious" beginnings.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,533,914 times
???????Icarus.......was mythological???????????, OH Yeah, just shoot down all my culture heros!~!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska