U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM

8,685 posts, read 13,441,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
LOVE the mountain penguin!! so much so I am saving it off.... but... me think you all have been in the dark too long!!! At least you all seem to have a good sense of humor. I was referring to Grannysroost "but I hate, absolutely despise this ice on the ground when it melts...I have not seen that anywhere else...the penguin waddle is not attractive.." the only way a real penguin is getting to Alaska is by boat!!!
Oh sweetie, Alaskan penguins fly, it is when on that despicable ice the waddle commences... (that is Nephler's rabid penguin Guido)...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 PM

11,835 posts, read 23,864,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Oh sweetie, Alaskan penguins fly, it is when on that despicable ice the waddle commences... (that is Nephler's rabid penguin Guido)...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,779,761 times
I was wondering who the heck Guido was!! He's great...saved him off too!!At first I was a wonder'n if one of my Italian relative moved there and no one told me....

Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 PM

18,894 posts, read 24,254,484 times
This is the truth; the Prince of Wales saw the penguin himself:

Kenai Peninsula Online - Alaska NewspaperSouth American penguin found in Alaska waters 07/31/02

Quote:
Fishing vessel captain Guy Demmert told KRBD in Ketchikan that the crew pulled up the penguin with some fish on July 18 about noon near Noyes Island off the coast of Prince of Wales Island.

''He was trapped in the net and just swimming around and my nephew saw it and asked 'Gee what kind of bird is that?''' Demmert said.

He said the bag of fish, and the penguin, was pulled aboard. The penguin, which stood about 20 inches tall, appeared uninjured as it began waddling around the deck of the boat.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:07 PM

351 posts, read 554,560 times
Met,

That is really neat.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM

18,894 posts, read 24,254,484 times
Thanks; we thought so too

Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,292,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Yeah, they are called "Snowbirds" (local slang) and take to the air at the first sighting of a snowflake... They normally winter as far south as Mexico, but most are in Florida and other warmer climates.

They do tend to hang around in large flocks by pools and golf courses...

Migration back North begins about the time the spring breakup is winding down.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM

49 posts, read 83,108 times
Anyone on here work for the Department of Corrections? the more I study the more it looks like that would be my best bet of having a job prior to arrival that I could count on. They must be doing better for officers than we are in Missouri since there doesn't seem to be alot of open postings currently. But I notice that a new facility is being built in the Mat-Su Valley details are sketchy on line. Has anyone heard when they propose to start hiring and training to fill the 350 new job openings? Hope they offer relocation bonuses again too, when I looked a couple years ago they were offering relocation bonuses to get officers, but everything is resident hires now though for residency all I have to have is a address and phone.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:44 PM

149 posts, read 299,950 times
well i got a question about how the kids will be in dillingham. Will the kids like to talk about hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and other out doors thing? Because that is what i am in to, or will they talk about the typical things kids talk about like movies, video games, and the drama at school. Also do they have clicks in the schools?

This is for kids that are anywhere from 14-18.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:31 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,086,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebushman View Post
well i got a question about how the kids will be in dillingham. Will the kids like to talk about hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and other out doors thing? Because that is what i am in to, or will they talk about the typical things kids talk about like movies, video games, and the drama at school. Also do they have clicks in the schools?

This is for kids that are anywhere from 14-18.
Dillingham and other Bush Alaska towns and villages are a lot like Lake Woebegon. That is because all of the children, even yours, are above average.

Not that they don't have clicks in school, but all kids belong to all of them. Not that they don't play video games and talk about the school drama (that would be the principal teacher putting the make on a teacher's aide???), but they do it while out on hunting trips.

Best of all, in most of these places they don't need none of them sex education classes that liberals want. (Because the kids know more about sex than the teachers from Oklahoma do...)

You should have come here decades ago, when it caused severe culture shock for most new teachers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska