U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 PM

7 posts, read 16,014 times

Advertisements

How is alaska for a 100 disablied veteran would like to retire! I notice that housing is alot cheaper than down in the lower 48 states! I enjoy camping and fisihing, hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 12:51 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
I suggest getting up here and enjoying it while you can! You'll love it. The Kenai Peninsula is slower paced than Anchorage or the Valley.
You can see the local newspaper here: www.peninsulaclarion.com which has numerous links for recreation, work, realestate etc. Others here may have info for other locations throughout the state. Don't be shy...stop on by...

Old 02-13-2007, 03:02 PM

22 posts, read 181,002 times
Housing is cheaper??? Depends on where you are coming from. The most recent stats in Anchorage is that the average single family house sells for $316,000. You can get more for your dollar on the peninsula, or in the Mat-Su valley.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I suggest getting up here and enjoying it while you can! You'll love it. The Kenai Peninsula is slower paced than Anchorage or the Valley.
You can see the local newspaper here: www.peninsulaclarion.com which has numerous links for recreation, work, realestate etc. Others here may have info for other locations throughout the state. Don't be shy...stop on by...
Thanks for the info.... I'm checking it out!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
If you need, I can send you links for many of the individual smaller towns located on the Kenai Peninsula. Let me know...

Old 02-13-2007, 05:15 PM

63 posts, read 255,173 times
We were just up there in the Anchorage area and loved it. My husband is also a disabled vet. Their are tax breaks on property, passes to the parks, and on hunting and fishing licenses. I think I found all the info on the state website. There are many things that benefit disabled vets, and vets.

Cynthia

Old 02-14-2007, 07:54 AM

222 posts, read 952,898 times
Speaking of extra benefits for veterans, all veterans should check out this special extra earnings for military service through the social security administration. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire2/military.htm

Old 02-15-2007, 02:56 AM

8 posts, read 108,095 times
Default Cheaper where?

I've lived in Alaska my whole life. As far as I know, it's one of the most expensive places to live (though I believe that it equals out with the pfd and no sales taxes). Fairbanks is a really nice town, but it is expensive. Unless you wanted to live in one of the three or four bad apartment complexes we happen to have. I suggest actually getting some pictures of the places you are looking at before buying. Also, understand that depression is a major thing up here if you can't handle having short days in the winter. If you can handle it, you'll love it. Most people I know do (high schoolers just dream about moving out).

Old 02-27-2007, 08:12 PM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangirl View Post
I've lived in Alaska my whole life. As far as I know, it's one of the most expensive places to live (though I believe that it equals out with the pfd and no sales taxes). Fairbanks is a really nice town, but it is expensive. Unless you wanted to live in one of the three or four bad apartment complexes we happen to have. I suggest actually getting some pictures of the places you are looking at before buying. Also, understand that depression is a major thing up here if you can't handle having short days in the winter. If you can handle it, you'll love it. Most people I know do (high schoolers just dream about moving out).
Spend most of my life in the military kinda enjoy a small town type environment a movie once in a while, fishing, and camping enjoying the outdoors.... thanks for the advise!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Ssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegan Cajun View Post
Speaking of extra benefits for veterans, all veterans should check out this special extra earnings for military service through the social security administration. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire2/military.htm
100% service connected veteran, Social Security and I are have you might say a misunderstanding about "WE THE People" VA say you can't work SSA seems to have a regulation from a country other than USA. I don't understand how that figured I was E-7 was that based on my base pay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or