Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,252 times

Advertisements

Okay, call me daft, but I kept re-reading this post trying to figure out if you were being mean, or just trying to be funny. I was just giving my two-cents, and yes, I was poor, and I DID love where my life was at during that time, and no, I was not 16. What's the deal? I was just trying to answer the kids questions from MY OWN PERSPECTIVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
Go by this intel; might as well stay in stlouie.....

It isnt worth it!!! what a bunch of shyte. I love being f--ed and then leaving-- Alaska is about being sustainable and living and thriving , no wonder good info is so hard to get cause America has turned into a soft glazed dead donut.All nothin and AIR. No wonder this country is TOAST.

" I was poor but I loved it??" LOL-- OK I was 16 once too.
You apparently have no Idea what you are talking about but then again you must be daft. Are you 16? That would make more sense! And what donut are you eating? So you love being F--ed and leaving, eh? What is that supposed to mean? Did you write this when you were sober? Obviously you have no idea about Alaska or you would have realized that it is not a place of sustainability and living and thriving. It is tough to live here and not very sustainable. Get your head out of your a$$! You must be like that dumb kid that died out in his stolen bus, I believe his name was Chris McCandless form Krakauer's book "Into the Wild"

Dmitry---

If you want to come to Alaska just do it. That is how most of us got up here. If you move to the city, Anchorage, it is no different than any other city out there. Not Alaska that is for sure. Girdwood is a great place. Lived there and worked there for a long time. I can tell you that working at the resort was fun and it was nice to get a free pass to the mountain. Don't get your hopes up on getting a job as a ski patroler right off the bat. It is very stiff competition and we know people who have been on the waiting list for a long time. You need to get a job as a lifty or something first and try to work your way in. You will still get to ride the mountain while you work as a lifty. Once people get to know you you will be good.

Your average pay at Alyeska is around $10 hr. But expect to pay out the back for rent. It has been getting richified in Girdwood for many years now. Rich people from Anchorage have been buying up everything for use one weekend a year. This has made available housing hard to come by. Expect to pay over $300,000 to buy something and at least $1000- $1600 a month for rent these days. To get around that you just will have to live in a house with a bunch of people. It is common to find 4-6 people per house to be able to afford rent. It is worth it though if you want to ski and be out in nature. Girdwood is definitely good for that.

If Alaska is where you want to be man, stop worrying and just head up here. You will find out soon enough if it is a place for you.

Good luck
Dman

Last edited by TheDman; 10-20-2008 at 04:08 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 14,419 times
If you want to be somewhere - just go there. I tried to follow this rule in my life. it's just getting harder to make up your mind with ages. right now I can not think about anything but elections. if America becomes Soviet America ...where to go ? Whole World depends on US economy. I dont want to be a witness of the end of the World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: