Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,054,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
It is 90 days. It's 30 days for a commercial license.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 PM

15 posts, read 41,290 times
Gas in New Orleans is $2.59, yes $2.59.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,962,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Schools and federal buildings prohibit firearms under federal law, otherwise there are no firearm restrictions in Alaska. That includes bars and city parks. Cities/Towns/Villages are prohibited by Article I, Section 19 of the Alaska State Constitution from enacting any sort of firearm restrictions.
That's good to know, as I thought that I had heard that the MOA has an ordinance prohibiting firearms in parks.

As for other restrictions, I'm only going by what's posted on the state's website:

Alaska Statute 11.61.220 ... The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited...

Alaska Concealed Handgun Permits - Permits and Licensing Unit

Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 PM

639 posts, read 1,906,694 times
Hey I'm from SC just moved to AK this past April. Moved here from Columbia. It's great here. What areas are you thinking of moving? I missed that I think. Fairbanks has some places that are pretty good about pets since there are so many mushers in the area. What are you looking for in a place though? What can you live without? Our car insurance also went up when we moved. I don't pay utilities except phone which is cheap because I don't have all the extra's and we do have Satalite TV and internet because we are in the bush.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,534,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Thank you
It's further explained here Converting Out-of-State or Out-of-Country Licenses

Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,805,665 times
You can also own Class III devices like suppressors, machine guns & other interesting things.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,204,126 times
The Electric company in Wasilla (MEA) does charge a $400.00 deposit that they will put on a monthly payment plan for you on top of your current bill. They only charge a deposit if you don't have a utility reference.
Groceries are a little bit more here but not too bad. Gas is still high compared to the rest of the country, my Mama lives in Northern VA and she said it was about $2.30 the other day compared to our $3.50.
Check craigslist out to find housing for rent, a lot are available accepting pets.
This is our first winter here in Wasilla too so I can not offer much more help than that.
Good Luck

Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 AM

22 posts, read 51,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
Hey I'm from SC just moved to AK this past April. Moved here from Columbia. It's great here. What areas are you thinking of moving? I missed that I think. Fairbanks has some places that are pretty good about pets since there are so many mushers in the area. What are you looking for in a place though? What can you live without? Our car insurance also went up when we moved. I don't pay utilities except phone which is cheap because I don't have all the extra's and we do have Satalite TV and internet because we are in the bush.
We live in Chester, SC right now. I was raised in Columbia and Camden. Hello Neighbor!!

We thought about Fairbanks, but it gets VERY cold there, so we're thinking about Anchorage or the Mat-Su area. The winters in Fairbanks are just a little TOO daunting to deal with the first year, so we'll go for an area that's a bit warmer until we get used to it. It may also be easier to find jobs in the southern area until we become "Established", too.

We don't have to have "Fancy"--"Functional" will be just fine until we get our feet under us and learn the ropes-- as long as the place isn't a DUMP, and we don't freeze our fannies off in the winter!

We're willing to do some cleaning and fix-up work, but we do NOT want to have to RE-BUILD the place to make it liveable! We'd like 2 bedrooms, but 1 will do until we get things going. A stove/refrigerator would be nice,too. I have a shiny new washer/dryer set coming with me, so as long as I have hook-ups for them, I'll be happy. I don't need a dishwasher,either. I have 2 of them at the ends of my arms! I'm not too proud to wash my own dishes.

We DON'T need a pool/spa/ hot tub, a gym, a clubhouse, a golf course, or any of those "Amenities". As long as the basics like groceries and medical care are within a 30 minute drive, we can find the rest on the way. We CAN live without cable TV for a while, but we'd like to have an Internet connection to be able to keep in touch with our family.

As far as our dogs are concerned--They are coming WITH us. Getting rid of our dogs is NOT an option, and it is NOT open to debate.

We DO understand that it's going to be a bit difficult finding a landlord/lady willing to rent to a tenant with 4 dogs, and we are MORE than willing to make sure that our dogs don't cause any trouble or damage. We are willing to pay a REASONABLE pet deposit, and provide copies of ALL vet papers and certificates to anyone that is willing to rent to us.

We are VERY RESPONSIBLE about their care and behavior, and that will be obvious when people see our dogs. They're healthy,clean,well-behaved, and decently trained. They get ALL of their shots yearly, and they've all been spayed/neutered-We have 2 males and 2 females. We DON'T want puppies! They also have microchips. They're happy,friendly,playful, intelligent dogs that love to meet new people, do new things, and go to new places. They've been raised in our home and in our truck. They LIVE with us.

They're as loved as any members of our family, and they're treated that way. Like I said, we don't have any HUMAN children--unless you count the ones with 4 feet. Yes, we are those "Wierd Dog People" that think of our dogs as our "Children"! They're kinda spoiled, but they're GOOD dogs.

We just want a decent place to live with decent people living there with us. We are simple people, and we don't live a complicated life. We don't gossip. We don't go for "Drama", and we don't cause trouble for others until others cause trouble for us. We're friendly and honest, and we'd be good neighbors.

As long as you don't mind being greeted by wagging tails, and you can deal with a guy with a kinda warped sense of humor that loves football, muscle cars, old Rock music, and popping the occasional "Cold One", you'll fit right in at our house!

I'll probably try to feed you, but I AM a good cook! I can even do a MEAN Alaskan Salmon! Don't be surprised if I ask you to pick up your feet, either. With 4 dogs, I sweep/vaccum a LOT, and I usually do it every other day. I love my mutts, but their fur does NOT belong in my KITCHEN!! I'm not a neat freak, but I DO keep our house clean. I just hope I can meet some of you when we get there! It would be GREAT to be able to put FACES on all the messages!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:07 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,054,205 times
My two Labs are the very same for me...and the cat. Now that the black Lab is home with us, my killer dust-bunnies have multiplied and I am usually going about with the vac or broom...you aren't alone!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:33 AM

22 posts, read 51,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
My two Labs are the very same for me...and the cat. Now that the black Lab is home with us, my killer dust-bunnies have multiplied and I am usually going about with the vac or broom...you aren't alone!
We have a Keeshond, a Jack Russell/Border Collie mix, and 2 of their pups.

Tedee looks like a Black Lab pup because of his color and size, but he has a curled tail that sits on his behind like the handle on a cup! He's in the middle at 35 lbs.

Zeenha resembles a Schipperke, but she has a longer nose. She is also solid black, and she has a beautiful coat, but she is a fuzzball! She weighs 30 lbs.

Smokey is our Keeshond. He has a black/grey/cream coat. He is the biggest of the 4 at 48 lbs. He is the KING of the fuzzies! He's 3 yrs. old. He LOOKS like a much more aggressive dog than he actually IS. He is really very sweet and friendly. He was my 2005 Mother's Day gift from my husband/Step-children.

Sable is the BC/JR mix. She is black/white like a BC, but she is small and dainty from her JR strain. She is the smallest of the 4 at 25 lbs. She is shy, but she warms to people after a time, and she loves to play. We rescued her 5 years ago by taking her away from another driver that was abusing her. She is the oldest of the 4 dogs.

Ted/Zeenha came from a litter of 7 pups from Smokey/Sable. They mated by accident.

Tedee got hurt as a small pup and lost a toe on his right rear paw. We decided to keep him after he healed. He is bashful, but he is VERY loving and funny. He's the "Clown" of the bunch.

Zeenha is high-strung, fiesty, and VERY active. She's one of those dogs that HAS to have something to DO to make her happy. Nobody else wanted to deal with her, so we kept her,too. She is VERY smart, and she has turned out to be a GREAT dog now that she's older and has been trained.

The other 5 pups went to GOOD homes.

I don't have "Dust BUNNIES". I have "Dust ELEPHANTS"!!!

Last edited by hapipupi3; 10-22-2008 at 02:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska