Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,934 times

Advertisements

Alaska is a little pricier than I was used to (came from the south) but it wasn't enough to break us. No sales tax in Anchorage, so that rocks! Also, no state tax!

Housing is EXPENSIVE. A 2 bedroom in north Louisiana (pre-Hurricane Katrina) had run us about $500. Here it's going to run you $1000+.

Gas prices are about what you see on the news for California and other hugely populated areas.

If you do a lot of internet shopping, be prepared to pay outrageous shipping costs. Alot of places treat AK like a 3rd world nation and either won't ship here or if they do, charge you 3X as much. (Shipping here USPS Priority Mail, however, is the same price as shipping it to, say, Washington state from Florida. No difference. But tell that to companies who ship to you! Beware of shipping Parcel Post here -- it can take as long as 3 months to arrive. It did for us.)

Insurance premiums are alot higher too. (Health care & automotive.)

Jobs are abound (in Anchorage where we live.) However, I mean lower end job, likes retail, restaurants, banking, etc are available. If you're wanting a professional career job here (like teaching) forget it -- they only hire Alaskans. My mom, a teacher w/ 20+ yrs experience from the south, has been trying to get a permanent teaching job here for over 2 yrs. She constantly gets the run around and is never hired. They're quick to call her to sub & pay her half of what the teachers make, yet they will NOT hire her & give her a contract. She's even special ed certified and supposedly they need those teachers badly. Yet, fresh graduates from the local University are hired all the time and so are people's spouses/relatives/friends. Another man we've spoke to, who was in professional broadcasting, was pushed around and ignored for 3 yrs before he was finally hired with a contract. Professional jobs here are hard to get. But retail is thrown at you. If you already have a job lined up, you should be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy View Post
Learn to bake...
HEY, I LIVED IN ANCHORAGE FROM 1990 TO 2002....I'VE NEVER HAD FROZEN BREAD. ALSO THERE'S AN AWESOME BAKERY FRANCHISE THERE CALLED THE GREAT HARVEST BREAD COMPANY, RIGHT OFF BENSON, CLOSE TO THE SEARS MALL! THEY HAVE FREE SAMPLES EVERY DAY..DELICOUS! AS FAR AS EXPENSE? HEY, I MOVED FROM ANCHORAGE TO SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA AND I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK OF HOW EXPENSE CALIFORNIA WAS!! I LOVED ANCHORGE, HOPE TO GO BACK SOMEDAY! EVERYTHING YOU COULD POSSIBLEY WANT THERE..EXCEPT GOOD HEALTH CARE. LOTS OF QUACKS FROM MY EXPERIENCE(ESPECIALLY AT THE NATIVE HOSPITAL!) AND THE BEST PRODUCE! BETTER THEN CALIFORNIA! AND NO SALES TAX YET (i THINK)

Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 AM

366 posts, read 386,935 times
I'm sure that Anchorage has several nice bakeries, et al. But there is more to the state than Anchorage, and most of it doesn't have decent bread.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:37 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
And besides...nothing beats the smell of homemade bread! Well maybe a fresh mowed lawn does...but just barely.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 12,654 times
Default foriegn bush

currently im living in northern ny on the canadian border. im looking to move to alaska..im currently an electrician looking to get back into the tree removal buisness. I have CDL A. Im looking for someplace on the outskirts (10-20 miles out) of anchorage or another larger city thats accessable by pickup. id like to be somewhere that the hunting and fishing are also easiy to get to. if anyone knows of such a place id appreciate its name and if youve got the time id also like local statsrices of gas,bread,milk,rent,dist to nearest store,pop,. And if your really not busy id like some snapshots of the place e-mailed to bigshea13@yahoo.com thanks and if anyone wants photos of a rundown little town on the top of ny...just ask

Old 03-18-2007, 11:46 AM

If you scroll back through here you can get an idea of some prices. I live south of Anchorage on what is known as the Kenai Peninsula, in a community called Sterling. If you want to see some pictures through the area you can go to www.tinyurl.com/qwyt3 (broken link) and click on the "Sterling" gallery. It's located about 120 miles or 2 1/2 hours south of Anchorage. There are a handfull of small towns and communities located on the peninsula. All are nice. Still plenty of land around and hunting/fishing is pretty much right off the porch in most of these areas. Sterling has a gas station, bar, pizza place, a couple restraunts, and a Mom and Pop's pretty much centraly located in the community. In 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours you can drive from one end of the peninsula to the other.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 20,364 times
When I lived in Anchorage some items seemed a little more expensive than they are back here in Mich. We have a 6% sales tax and AK doesnt have sales tax, so in the end everything cost just about the same.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:02 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I'm running a diesel pickup. The other day when I filled up diesel was like 2.78 per gallon at Fred Meyers with a 3 cent discount, in Soldotna. Anchorage is a tad cheaper than my area on the Peninsula.
2.78/gal? I expected gasoline to cost more than that in Alaska.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiccanLittle View Post
Alaska is a little pricier than I was used to (came from the south) but it wasn't enough to break us. No sales tax in Anchorage, so that rocks! Also, no state tax!

Housing is EXPENSIVE. A 2 bedroom in north Louisiana (pre-Hurricane Katrina) had run us about $500. Here it's going to run you $1000+.

Gas prices are about what you see on the news for California and other hugely populated areas.

If you do a lot of internet shopping, be prepared to pay outrageous shipping costs. Alot of places treat AK like a 3rd world nation and either won't ship here or if they do, charge you 3X as much. (Shipping here USPS Priority Mail, however, is the same price as shipping it to, say, Washington state from Florida. No difference. But tell that to companies who ship to you! Beware of shipping Parcel Post here -- it can take as long as 3 months to arrive. It did for us.)

Insurance premiums are alot higher too. (Health care & automotive.)

Jobs are abound (in Anchorage where we live.) However, I mean lower end job, likes retail, restaurants, banking, etc are available. If you're wanting a professional career job here (like teaching) forget it -- they only hire Alaskans. My mom, a teacher w/ 20+ yrs experience from the south, has been trying to get a permanent teaching job here for over 2 yrs. She constantly gets the run around and is never hired. They're quick to call her to sub & pay her half of what the teachers make, yet they will NOT hire her & give her a contract. She's even special ed certified and supposedly they need those teachers badly. Yet, fresh graduates from the local University are hired all the time and so are people's spouses/relatives/friends. Another man we've spoke to, who was in professional broadcasting, was pushed around and ignored for 3 yrs before he was finally hired with a contract. Professional jobs here are hard to get. But retail is thrown at you. If you already have a job lined up, you should be fine!
After hearing this, I am starting to question Alaska, I thought it would be less judgemental than where I liive, in Georgia.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:03 PM

Well for the most part...the state wants to hire Alaskans when possible. If your not a resident...your gonna be at the back of the line for many things especially work. I don't follow the teacher thing anymore, so I can't help you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska