U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2015, 02:14 AM
 
1,880 posts, read 1,338,636 times
Reputation: 1520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Right, so based on your pricing I'd be pretty much living off of moose and eggs, which are pretty big parts of my diet now anyways. I admit I would miss my veggies and milk. What about dry beans? About how much do beans run? I eat a lot of beans, too.

What's the gardening situation? How is your soil?
Yep. Moose. Eggs. Salmon. But the bush orders through Fred's saved us a lot of money. I haven't had a chance to grow a garden. Last two summers were centered around baby being born and visiting family. But our soul is pretty good here. When the village was a catholic mission the students were forced into gardening. gardening has a stigma associated with it from the mission days. I have two stove
Friends that actually garden. They have success.
My summer goal this year was to do a garden but relocation stopped that plan.
I have no idea on beans. We eat beans quite a bit. I'll make a big pot and we eat on it til gone. Take a few days off and repeat, but we mail those out from town.
I'll try get to the store and check.
I do know flour costs $20 for ten pounds.
Here's a good bean idea. Throw some beans in the crock pot with stew meat. Bbq sauce is good
As well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2015, 02:18 AM
 
1,880 posts, read 1,338,636 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Right, so based on your pricing I'd be pretty much living off of moose and eggs, which are pretty big parts of my diet now anyways. I admit I would miss my veggies and milk. What about dry beans? About how much do beans run? I eat a lot of beans, too.

What's the gardening situation? How is your soil?
Have you tried the bush order from Fred's?
They ship almost anything. You get anchorage or
Fairbanks prices. They charge 10% plus shipping. That 10% is worth my time and headache. And it includes the packing as well. Boxes come in great shape. We will continue next ear I believe but I gotta wait and see what the prices are in Dillingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 03:30 AM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
2,030 posts, read 1,857,572 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Yep. Moose. Eggs. Salmon. But the bush orders through Fred's saved us a lot of money. I haven't had a chance to grow a garden. Last two summers were centered around baby being born and visiting family. But our soul is pretty good here. When the village was a catholic mission the students were forced into gardening. gardening has a stigma associated with it from the mission days. I have two stove
Friends that actually garden. They have success.
My summer goal this year was to do a garden but relocation stopped that plan.
I have no idea on beans. We eat beans quite a bit. I'll make a big pot and we eat on it til gone. Take a few days off and repeat, but we mail those out from town.
I'll try get to the store and check.
I do know flour costs $20 for ten pounds.
Here's a good bean idea. Throw some beans in the crock pot with stew meat. Bbq sauce is good
As well
That's the same thing I do with beans. I make a whole crock pot full and eat them until they're gone. Santa Maria Pink Beans are my favorite, and you can freeze those without them turning mealy, but you can't buy them here, so my folks mail them to me for birthdays and Christmas. Black beans and regular pink beans are good... Every now and then I get burned out on beans and think I'll never be able to eat another single one, but I always get over it pretty quick. I used to only make them with hamhocks, but I have now broadened my horizons to moose & caribou stew meat.

wtf re: the mission. That is terrible. Is this a common piece of history in bush communities? I know you've mentioned it before, but I've forgotten where you live exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 03:38 AM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
2,030 posts, read 1,857,572 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Have you tried the bush order from Fred's?
They ship almost anything. You get anchorage or
Fairbanks prices. They charge 10% plus shipping. That 10% is worth my time and headache. And it includes the packing as well. Boxes come in great shape. We will continue next ear I believe but I gotta wait and see what the prices are in Dillingham.
Oh, I'm only asking you 20 questions because I am curious... I live in Fox, just north of Fairbanks. I do some bushmail orders through Sam's Club and Fred's for work, but not for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 09:24 PM
 
1,880 posts, read 1,338,636 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Oh, I'm only asking you 20 questions because I am curious... I live in Fox, just north of Fairbanks. I do some bushmail orders through Sam's Club and Fred's for work, but not for myself.
If I lived on the road, I'd probably still do the bush orders...lol

I am on the yukon river. Middle Yukon? Close to the Innoko River (actually enters the Yukon across from our village). I'm about 350 miles northwest of Anchorage.

I went to the store today and got some prices. 1lb of beans were $4 (but those might have been 2 lb bags). Rice in the same size bag was $6

The catholic mission here in my village was good and bad. Many elders speak of the horrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
2,030 posts, read 1,857,572 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
If I lived on the road, I'd probably still do the bush orders...lol

I am on the yukon river. Middle Yukon? Close to the Innoko River (actually enters the Yukon across from our village). I'm about 350 miles northwest of Anchorage.

I went to the store today and got some prices. 1lb of beans were $4 (but those might have been 2 lb bags). Rice in the same size bag was $6

The catholic mission here in my village was good and bad. Many elders speak of the horrors.
I'm guessing those were 2-lb bags... one pound of beans is a pretty small bag, but who knows. Dang, rice is pretty expensive, but I don't eat much of it. Not much nutritional value for the money.

Through thick and thin, beans have always been a staple in my diet, and I refer to them as "good po-folk food" because they're cheap and nutritious. Once when I was barely making it (no, let's face it, I was not making it at all), I had a crappy job working in produce at a grocery store. I LIVED ON black beans. I literally ate them for every meal and I thought that after I got a good job again I would NEVER EAT ANOTHER STINKIN' BEAN IN MY LIFE. lol. After I got a good job I took a 6-month bean hiatus, then I was back on again with the beans. During that time it was especially tough for me to watch people on gov't assistance buying a bunch of junk food with what could be considered my money, as a taxpayer, while I was surviving on $13/week on average for groceries. But that's a whole 'nother subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
2,030 posts, read 1,857,572 times
Reputation: 1574
I should probably do bush orders for myself. I hate going to town and avoid it like the plague. I stock up on dry goods like beans and stuff, buy eggs from some hippies out on Goldstream, go to town for milk and veggies, and whatever else I might need I get at the Fox store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 07:25 PM
 
1,880 posts, read 1,338,636 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I should probably do bush orders for myself. I hate going to town and avoid it like the plague. I stock up on dry goods like beans and stuff, buy eggs from some hippies out on Goldstream, go to town for milk and veggies, and whatever else I might need I get at the Fox store.
I checked on the dry beans, they were a pound.

I am with you and beans. I was raised on beans and rice...lol.

This summer I plan on hitting some bulk food stores to stock up a variety of beans. Kind of tired of black, pinto, red, kidney, and white beans. Not really tired, I just want to add some more to the diet.

You can order veggies from Fred's as well. Just ship priority.

My current order will ship monday: Broccoli, kale, romaine, cilantro, spinach, cucumbers, squash, cabbage, potatoes, avocados, and tomatoes.

So much better than dehydrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Idaho
836 posts, read 1,376,911 times
Reputation: 1554
You can get an idea by putting zip code of area like 99501 Anchorage here:
Carrsqc - Save Time and Money with Online Weekly Specials

then click on Weekly Specials. Open another window with your local Safeway and compare- looks like about 50 cents higher to mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
2,030 posts, read 1,857,572 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I checked on the dry beans, they were a pound.

I am with you and beans. I was raised on beans and rice...lol.

This summer I plan on hitting some bulk food stores to stock up a variety of beans. Kind of tired of black, pinto, red, kidney, and white beans. Not really tired, I just want to add some more to the diet.

You can order veggies from Fred's as well. Just ship priority.

My current order will ship monday: Broccoli, kale, romaine, cilantro, spinach, cucumbers, squash, cabbage, potatoes, avocados, and tomatoes.

So much better than dehydrated.
I'm surprised spinach makes it to you in any edible condition. When I worked in produce we rarely got a full shipment of spinach from -48 into the produce cooler that I could wash and put out on the wet rack. Most of it was already gone by the time it made it to Fairbanks.

I eat a lot of avocado and roma tomatoes... I just slice them up and make sandwiches out of them with some Montreal Steak seasoning. Deeelicious.

I was also raised on beans... when I was a kid we were POSITIVE that it was some sort of child abuse or neglect to feed your kids beans more than four nights a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top