Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:29 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,348,962 times

Advertisements

Saucy - glad to hear things are proceeding! Definitely let me know as you make your travel plans for your first "trip" up......we'll have to say Hi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utcw201 View Post
Hi, I didn't have time to read through all the posts, but saw some similarities in your trip to the one my fiance' and I made in early October. She, too, is an RN and had been in Alaska for a week a couple months prior to moving. She fell in love with the state and with my job already being in Alaska we decided to make the move. We crossed through Portal, ND and went up through Regina and Edmonton. I had made the trip previously, but it was her first time and she absolutely loved it. She had signed on with Alaska Regional Medical Center in Anchorage and they paid for all the relocation costs plus a pretty hefty sign on bonus. We are going on two months and she has had no regrets.
When you travel through Regina, pay close attention to the road signs. I got totally lost in there. We had to turn around and find the main highway and wound up going through Moose Jaw and up from there. Saskatoon is the same way, it says to stay in the lane and all of a sudden the road takes a right and we were in the left lane. I love Saskatchewan! I don't care much for Edmonton, but the mall there is huge and fun to explore, has plans for a drive down in March during spring break with a friend who hasn't been there before. There is a little community outside of Edmonton called Onoway, very nice little town and good food there.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM

53 posts, read 120,672 times
Hi everyone,

So we started checking out box trucks as we are still having trouble with the best possible way to transport our personal items. Per the advise I received on this wonderful site I finally checked into used box trucks. Hello, great idea. At first we were looking at an 18' International. Yeah, way to big for our needs. It was a great price but too much truck. So then we just happened to find an entire fleet of used 14' box trucks for sale at a local dealer. SCORE!!! Half the price of the 18' and the exact size we need. We go to see about purchasing tonight, we'll see how it works out.

We've finally started packing and sorting. So far I've eliminated a few boxes of books. I'm still bringing about 15 boxes but since they are my hobby and my entertainment I don't feel bad about the amount. He he he. The husband gets to keep the guns I get to keep the books. It's fair.

Also, I don't know if I'd mentioned in here that we are actually going to try to push up the move to the end of march. Crazy right? We'll see what happens. Aside from it speeding up the selling process of our personal items it shouldn't really change our plans too much. Right now we are waiting for a birth certificate to arrive so we can get the husbands passport. Everything else is going as smooth as can be.

Alright, that's it. I'll update more as things happen.

Saucy

P.S. We've decided to head over to Yellowstone Nat'l Park before heading into Canada any info on the ride coming up through Montana and crossing?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
If you go before June 1, 2009 you won't need a passport.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:45 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySophia View Post
Hi everyone,

So we started checking out box trucks as we are still having trouble with the best possible way to transport our personal items. Per the advise I received on this wonderful site I finally checked into used box trucks. Hello, great idea. At first we were looking at an 18' International. Yeah, way to big for our needs. It was a great price but too much truck. So then we just happened to find an entire fleet of used 14' box trucks for sale at a local dealer. SCORE!!! Half the price of the 18' and the exact size we need. We go to see about purchasing tonight, we'll see how it works out.

We've finally started packing and sorting. So far I've eliminated a few boxes of books. I'm still bringing about 15 boxes but since they are my hobby and my entertainment I don't feel bad about the amount. He he he. The husband gets to keep the guns I get to keep the books. It's fair.

Also, I don't know if I'd mentioned in here that we are actually going to try to push up the move to the end of march. Crazy right? We'll see what happens. Aside from it speeding up the selling process of our personal items it shouldn't really change our plans too much. Right now we are waiting for a birth certificate to arrive so we can get the husbands passport. Everything else is going as smooth as can be.

Alright, that's it. I'll update more as things happen.

Saucy

P.S. We've decided to head over to Yellowstone Nat'l Park before heading into Canada any info on the ride coming up through Montana and crossing?
North Dakota is my home base. March is very unpredicatable in our neck of the woods. Sudden blizzards, ice storms, and the wind can be vicious that time of year. It always seemed that South Dakota got more snow and ice than we did. Probably because it was warmer than where I have my home; 90 miles from the Canadian border. Both my sons were on traveling hockey teams and many a time we were stranded in some little motel or someone's relative's home because of weather. Be careful!!

Last edited by Siouxcia; 12-11-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 02:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Read this site:

Travel Alberta Canada - Alberta Rocky Mountain Scenic Drives

Old 12-13-2008, 02:50 AM

First bit of bad luck in the travel plans. All of the box trucks were sold either earlier that day or the night before. Bummer. We do think it is the cheapest and best way to go so we'll just keep looking. My mother-in-law lives in Rapid City so we'll be making a pit stop there for a couple of days before heading over to Yellowstone. I know last year they had a real late blizzard, my mom-in-law sent pictures. I guess we'll just take what comes and keep moving forward.

Saucy

P.S. Thanks for the info Warptman.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:52 AM

On a side note, advise was supposed to be advice. Oops.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
Sophia have you thought about a container?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:32 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
When you travel through Regina, pay close attention to the road signs. I got totally lost in there. We had to turn around and find the main highway and wound up going through Moose Jaw and up from there. Saskatoon is the same way, it says to stay in the lane and all of a sudden the road takes a right and we were in the left lane. I love Saskatchewan! I don't care much for Edmonton, but the mall there is huge and fun to explore, has plans for a drive down in March during spring break with a friend who hasn't been there before. There is a little community outside of Edmonton called Onoway, very nice little town and good food there.
We stayed overnight at Moose Jaw. My husband had always wanted to go there so we made a detour. Really nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska