U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2007, 04:08 PM

54 posts, read 175,113 times
i love the "dry" heat.
i love the hot weather also, as i said before ;]
the dry heat can be about 120 degrees *iv felt it before in arizona* and it still feels SO much better than 90 degrees in like maryland. this is because it has such low humidity. arizona, las vegas nevada too all have dry heat areas and feel much better in high temperatures than lower temperatures but higher humidity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 05:41 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,260,705 times
Default Best bait

You're right, Blueberry. and the kings are starting the early run on the Kenai, too.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:11 PM

115 posts, read 463,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
You're right, Blueberry. and the kings are starting the early run on the Kenai, too.
So maybe I can catch one before I leave?! YAY!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Early kings are running according to the adn. Fishing report on Thursday said so. And I believe everything I read in the paper, don't you? LOL

Old 05-26-2007, 10:30 PM

14,732 posts, read 23,849,254 times
I made a trip to the lake today!

Angry sky tho...

Old 05-26-2007, 11:35 PM

8 posts, read 83,878 times
Default pros and cons

Okay, so I just moved out of Alaska because my husband is in the Navy, but I grew up there, so I know a lot. Most people focus only on certain things and not really on others. So, some like it and some hate it.

Yes, depression is bad in the winter, so the suicide rate in Alaska is high; but, that's generally in the villages as far as I know. Often times, when I was having a hard time, I made friends and spent as much time staying busy so that I wouldn't get all mopey.

It does get very cold in Alaska (duh, haha), but I stayed inside as much as possible unless sledding or something similar. It also gets hot in the summer, where I stayed inside mid-day to avoid misquitos when I was taking a nap.

Some people say Alaskans are very nice. This is not always true. Alaska is just like everywhere else, everybody is different. I have met a lot of nice people, stuck up people, shy people, and down-right rude people. I myself am very outgoing and get along with people, but I will point out things that bother me (which some of my friends say is mean). Also, sometimes when you move to a small village, the people might not take to you kindly and think that you are trying to say you are better than them; but, they might love you and accept you with open arms.

One thing to think about, which I did when I had gotten pregnant, is that Alaska has the highest rate for molestation (3 in 5 girls and 2 in 5 boys). It's sad and I hope to see that rate change. I had a happy childhood, but a few of my friends have horrible memories. My husband and I have to think seriously before deciding to move back.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:50 PM

188 posts, read 578,148 times
Great looking pics mate

Rance , are they huge lakes , like lake Michigan or Superior.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:45 AM

I can answer that one mate. Nope. Superior and Michigan are the 2 largest fresh water bodies in the world. Here, lakes might be 2-3 miles across, buy thats about it. There are quite a few of them though.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:54 AM

14,732 posts, read 23,849,254 times
Skilak Lake...10 miles long...5 miles wide. But awesome islets, bays, coves, pea gravel beaches, bird rookeries, fishing, hiking, meditating...you name it...Skilak has it. It's not the biggest...but it is the best!

Old 05-27-2007, 04:50 PM

188 posts, read 578,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Skilak Lake...10 miles long...5 miles wide. But awesome islets, bays, coves, pea gravel beaches, bird rookeries, fishing, hiking, meditating...you name it...Skilak has it. It's not the biggest...but it is the best!
Sitting in a boat doin a little fishing sucking on a few beers n looking back at the mountains , I reckon would be an awesome feeling or even doin that on a little cliff or the shore line.
From where i sit , its like you have the world at your feet , the beautiful surroundings , mother nature at its best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska