U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,435,707 times
The worst thing I can think of is knowing that you supply the rest of the United States with gas, yet you have to pay more than all of them lol.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,995,144 times
Default two things

To get back to the actual topic of the original post...

Two things are bugging me about living in AK right about now, one is that so many towns (especially here in SE) are served ONLY by Alaska Airlines, with no other carriers flying in. Compared to Anchorage and Fairbanks where the other airlines also fly, we pay about twice the rate per mile.

The other thing is that so many internet stores will only ship via UPS or FedEx. About the only way to reliably get a package to most of rural Alaska is via the US Mail. As far as UPS and FedEx go, the only cities in AK are Anchorage, Fairbanks, and sometimes Juneau. Here locally, it almost always takes at least a week longer than the US mail does even for "overnight" service. Fedex is the worst, I've had them take a MONTH to ship a package up here, if they'll even do it at all. Several times vendors have ignored my specific instructions to NEVER use FedEx and packages will end up being MAILED here anyway, after spending weeks in Anchorage.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,475,790 times
I sent a package from a dealer to Valdez Fedez 2-day. Customer was looking for it a week later, I found it sitting in Seattle, waiting for a dedicated plane.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 AM

21,009 posts, read 22,145,712 times
We get Fedex here in Bethel but can't ship anything out. We also get UPS, we have a store here. Still add 3-5 days for "second" day air.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 9,740,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
To get back to the actual topic of the original post...

Two things are bugging me about living in AK right about now, one is that so many towns (especially here in SE) are served ONLY by Alaska Airlines, with no other carriers flying in. Compared to Anchorage and Fairbanks where the other airlines also fly, we pay about twice the rate per mile.

The other thing is that so many internet stores will only ship via UPS or FedEx. About the only way to reliably get a package to most of rural Alaska is via the US Mail. As far as UPS and FedEx go, the only cities in AK are Anchorage, Fairbanks, and sometimes Juneau. Here locally, it almost always takes at least a week longer than the US mail does even for "overnight" service. Fedex is the worst, I've had them take a MONTH to ship a package up here, if they'll even do it at all. Several times vendors have ignored my specific instructions to NEVER use FedEx and packages will end up being MAILED here anyway, after spending weeks in Anchorage.
And because in AK need 2 day shipping or less, even though takes a week...and when comes down to it, I despise the USPS.......

Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 AM

14,872 posts, read 24,702,769 times
I just bought some technical data booklets online. I also included a short complaint about how shipping costs more than the actual purchase, (they didn't do PO Box shipping).
I had an email this evening from one of the rep's and she said they are sending my order to my PO Box!
Sweet! I mailed her back and stated they would be getting more of my business in the near future! So even the shipping thing isn't all bad in Alaska!

There is some fantastic cross country skiing to be had here. Trust me...you can get around on ski's to plenty of scenic places.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 AM

14,872 posts, read 24,702,769 times
Your kids can catch a wide variety of fish here. I'm sure they will love it. My little buddy here was only 5 when he landed his first red salmon from the Kenai River.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 AM

244 posts, read 629,439 times
That's a beautiful fish...and that look on his face...priceless! Very proud of himself. Your snow pics are also beautiful. It's amazing how gorgeous snow is when it doesn't melt the same day like it does here. "If" we are lucky to get snow, it's usually gone within hours or a few days. Then is has that yucky brown melted look. UGH.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,781,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannewright View Post
...what about a cowboy hat???
Ball cap has my thumbs up, but having lived in Houston for quite a while, there can be something pretty sexy about a cowboy hat. And now I better shut up 'fore I get myself in trouble

Old 11-18-2008, 08:14 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,781,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Diversity, all this time I thought white balance meant having equal number of Caucasian friends, now that I'm into photography it's all good!
Warpt you crack me up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska