U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 PM

9 posts, read 18,116 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Alaska and be with family that I have there. We were very close but my move to California stretched us out.
I have noticed that most companies will not respond to resume's if you don't live in AK. Mainly for jobs on the slope, I have been there plenty of times and love it, my family and I are serious about the move. We dont just want to make money and then split and run if ya hear what I am saying. We want to stay and have a better quality of life for are kids, any help would and could be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jrpierce; 11-23-2008 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Forgot Word
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 AM

21,368 posts, read 34,961,405 times

Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 AM

905 posts, read 2,248,951 times
/facepalm

Old 11-24-2008, 02:15 AM

4,137 posts, read 8,372,192 times
Breathe...just breathe.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,306,309 times
Jobs in Alaska

Old 11-24-2008, 03:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,501,353 times
JR, you might have noticed some folks are not thrilled with your question. Mainly because we answer at least once a month. But I'll take a stab at it.

Companies on the North Slope:

BP
Conoco-Phillips
Alyeska Pipeline Service Co.
ASRC
Udelhoven
Peak
Fairweather
Carlile
Lynden Freight
Alaska Airlines
Doyon
Veritas

The list goes on for quite a ways. Prudhoe Bay has about 5000 people working up there at any given time. There are 25-35 major players, and dozens of smaller ones.

Without knowing any of your job skills, it is hard for people to recommend who to apply to. Most of these companies don't want to talk to you if you don't live here, as travel expectations on your part might not fit into the culture that they have. Or conversely, you might be looking for relocation expenses.

It's kind of an open ended question that we see here all the time, and we need help in order to think about helping you. Fill in some of the blanks here.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 PM

18,239 posts, read 32,466,319 times
Companies usually don't respond, because there are people in Alaska filling those positions. These folks who are already here, can go through job interviews and such.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 PM

I apologize about everyone having to see the same question day in and day out. I realize it is a big pain in the arse- I have worked many different jobs from farming- heavy construction(ground development/pipework) Managing a multi million dollar tire and auto shop to construction. I have roughly one year untill my degree is finished in business management, but I am more of a hands on person. I like to be outside no matter how cold or hot it is. I am not looking for any relocation assistance from anyone or any company, I feel that money could be put to better use. I do currently have an address in Anchorage, and a phone number. Moving without a job first is really idiotic in my frame of thinking, but I really am not the smartest person in the world. Only the second... HAHA. I do appreciate the time you have all taken. Again thank you.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Again thank you all for the comments, I am readilly available for interviews at any time. I am trying to give my family a better life and a better place to live. California was a some-what promotion, not a big fan.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,306,309 times
Put your resume out there and keep at them. Maybe you'll land a interview over the phone with someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska