U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 AM

214 posts, read 323,694 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at hauling a 30' enclosed trailer with a GVWR of 13,300 from Columbus OH through Chicago, Winnipeg, Edmonton and then up the Alcan to Anchorage. My GCVW with my truck and trailer combo would be in the range of 23,000 lbs.

My only real concern now is that I've been hearing that in order to pull that heavy of a trailer that I would have to get my CDL Class A drivers license. I've seen a lot of people going back and forth on this topic on other lower 48 forums and would like to know if anyone from Alaska has had any experience with a trailer over 10,000 lbs going through Canadian and/or American customs and if they even cared whether or not you had your CDL.

The Ohio law states:

Quote:
You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles:

1. Any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of ten thousand pounds;

CDL Exemptions

The law exempts these categories from the CDL:

8. A motor vehicle that is designed primarily for the transportation of goods and not persons while that motor vehicle is being used for the occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation and not in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.
I will obviously not be doing it for any commercial enterprise, I just think that it's utterly ridiculous if I have to check every single state/province to make sure I'm not going to get impounded for driving my own belongings up to Alaska. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 01:14 PM

823 posts, read 1,128,156 times
When I worked in Wyoming we had to get all our employees class A's so they could pull our 30' flatbeds with our one ton pickups, but I cannot see you needed it if you do not have a business name or dot number on the side of your truck or trailer. I'm not sure about Canada, but I wouldn't think you would have any trouble in the States....

Old 11-30-2008, 01:15 PM

6,271 posts, read 7,956,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
I have been looking at hauling a 30' enclosed trailer with a GVWR of 13,300 from Columbus OH through Chicago, Winnipeg, Edmonton and then up the Alcan to Anchorage. My GCVW with my truck and trailer combo would be in the range of 23,000 lbs.

My only real concern now is that I've been hearing that in order to pull that heavy of a trailer that I would have to get my CDL Class A drivers license. I've seen a lot of people going back and forth on this topic on other lower 48 forums and would like to know if anyone from Alaska has had any experience with a trailer over 10,000 lbs going through Canadian and/or American customs and if they even cared whether or not you had your CDL.

The Ohio law states:

I will obviously not be doing it for any commercial enterprise, I just think that it's utterly ridiculous if I have to check every single state/province to make sure I'm not going to get impounded for driving my own belongings up to Alaska. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
If it is a private use and not commercial, you should be exempt. In Alaska when I was running my wrecker, I needed to have the ICC/DOT numbers on the wrecker if I was hauling more than the 10,000 pound combo limit also, but is not a CDL requirement for private use....

Motor homes that are as big as any bus are exempt also, and the way some of those guys drive, they should be required to have a CDL also...

Old 11-30-2008, 02:51 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,578,139 times
The requirements for a CDL are really more based on whether one is engaging in commerce, rather than some arbitrary number of pounds. As Starlite mentioned, there are 65 year old retirees driving around in 20,000+ lb motor homes without a CDL. I think you will have more concern with Canadian Customs and the nature of the cargo you are hauling. A rig that size will naturally invite more scrutiny at the border crossing, and you're going to need to be able to prove to the Canadians that whatever you are hauling is not for the purpose of business or for sale in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska