U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2008, 08:27 PM

145 posts, read 361,458 times

Advertisements

Ok, it has just dawned on me that we will be driving my son down to AVTEC in just a bit. I remember the drive as being one of the most beautiful...but lonely things I had ever experienced when we went to Kenai 2 summers ago...and am kind of dreading taking him down at this time of year.

I know some of you drive regularly from there to Anchorage...how are the driving conditions? I know, I'm such a wimp, but I keep thinking of the ice on the right and the mountains on the left

Also, we've researched AVTEC to the hilt, but haven't been able to find anything about the physical building (s)...does anyone have any info at all? Is it a big place (they offer a TON of programs)... is it all together or spread out? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM

21,040 posts, read 22,798,983 times
Alaska Road Traveler Information Service (http://511.alaska.gov/default.asp?display=all&area=STATEWIDE_AK&textOnly =False - broken link)

Old 12-28-2008, 11:31 PM

Thank you very much.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:35 PM

11,770 posts, read 18,379,011 times
Deb there seems to be a number of buildings on the Seward campus. Are you looking for plans of all of them or one in particular?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 PM

11,770 posts, read 18,379,011 times
Here's a very generalized map of campus.
AVTEC Campus Map

Old 12-29-2008, 05:44 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,554,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
Ok, it has just dawned on me that we will be driving my son down to AVTEC in just a bit. I remember the drive as being one of the most beautiful...but lonely things I had ever experienced when we went to Kenai 2 summers ago...and am kind of dreading taking him down at this time of year.

I know some of you drive regularly from there to Anchorage...how are the driving conditions? I know, I'm such a wimp, but I keep thinking of the ice on the right and the mountains on the left

Also, we've researched AVTEC to the hilt, but haven't been able to find anything about the physical building (s)...does anyone have any info at all? Is it a big place (they offer a TON of programs)... is it all together or spread out? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Deb
Yeah, there's snow and ice in the winter, but usually not a big deal. You can get in a localized snow storm or two in the mountains (usually worst in Turnagain Pass, elev 1200'), but just take it slow and you'll do fine. Avtec has one big building (taking up a full city block), and a couple smaller ones seperated out aways. It's a fairly nice facility...not a bad place to go to school...IMO.
Yes, the drive is beautiful...even in the winter.

Bud

Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 PM

404 posts, read 822,075 times
we used to do that drive pretty regularly, i would be more worried about hitting a moose between wasilla and anchorage, than getting stuck in turnagain pass. there's cars all year round on this road, so help won't be far.

what are you driving?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Thank you everyone!

That's exactly what I wanted to know about AVTEC, Bud...thanks.

And, Barkley the map helped; I just couldn't get a handle on AVTEC; they offer so many vocations.

And, Michael, we are driving either a Subaru or an F-250. I grew up in the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont where there is a LOT more snow than here, but, still...it is a lonely (but lovely) drive.

I just wanted input from people who had hands-on experiences with both AVTEC and the drive :-)

OH! We are going to go a couple of days early...can anyone recommend somewhere to stay? Not a dive, but not real spendy either?

Thanks a lot,
Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska