U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,370,900 times

Advertisements

We have bought land in Nikiski!! yeah been waiting 29 years to do this!!! Where my husband has worked for 28 years is closing. He has been quality control tech. and now due to this closing can be retrained for anything he wants.
Any suggestions for trade skills for employment around the Nikiski area??
Anyone on this forum from Nikiski or Kenai??? would love to hear from you. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:20 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,153,000 times
Welcome BlueFlames!!!! Not so sure about the work, but if you go to the sticky with AK information at the top of page, will find links for ADN (Anchorage paper) and should be for Penisula Clarion,which is down here for jobs available right now to maybe get an idea...

We are in Soldotna, right next to Kenai...Am sure you will like it...

Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 AM

Smile anyone from Nikiski or Kenai

Thanks Grannysroost! We are all over the Peninsula Clarion and other sites that my brother has told us about. My husband is management but just wants to be a good 'ol worker again. My brother lived in Nikiski for 10yrs still owns a place but now is just a summer person. We have friends looking for land in Soldotna!! We hope to come up this summer to check out the land and make contacts regarding building a home. Any suggestions in that area are greatly appreciated. thanks again!!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:02 PM

45 posts, read 90,612 times
Default Nikiski resident

I live in Nikiski, where is the land you purchased? Don't know about any jobs, per se, but Peak seems to be pretty busy. They just put up a new building. They are an oil field contractor. Most of the jobs here are related to production of energy, but from here it is a short drive to Kenai/Soldotna. "North roaders" or Nikiski residents are infamously independent and some would say, stubbornly
recalcitrant. But then, aren't all Alaskans?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Hi Polarbytes! We bought on Georgine Lake on the Georgine Lake Rd side. If you don't mind us asking where abouts in Nikiski are you located??? Have you lived in Alaska long??? If so any tips on people to hire for full poured foundation work, septi, well etc???
thanks

Old 01-03-2009, 01:49 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,927,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Hi Polarbytes! We bought on Georgine Lake on the Georgine Lake Rd side. If you don't mind us asking where abouts in Nikiski are you located??? Have you lived in Alaska long??? If so any tips on people to hire for full poured foundation work, septi, well etc???
thanks
Just because you bought on/by a lake, doesn't mean that you aren't in it. You need to go and physically walk the property before you decide to build anything. There are a lot of homes that were built and then sank becase the owners didn't do their homework on Alaska soils and such.

What kind of trees grow on it. IF black spruce (Stunted)-then you are on a bog. Large Spruce or Birch-then fair. Large Cottowood-more than likely gravel with a high water table. Tundra/swamp-pretty much a wetlands and can't build anything legally... or without lots and lots of permits.

That is just in general, there are exceptions to everything, but best is to walk the property and have some soil samples taken, the upfront cost is going to be cheaper down the road.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:25 PM

thanks Starlite9 for the info. We will be walking the property this summer. My brother who lives across the lake from this piece of property went over and walked it for us. As he has lived on the lake for quite a few years he is very familiar with the land around it. It is solid ground for building. He has suggested as others that we have the soil tested for the best type of septic system. He didn't have to have soil testing done as he bought with cabin already on property. Any suggestions for who or where to have soil samples done??

Old 01-03-2009, 07:58 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,927,674 times
Quote:
thanks Starlite9 for the info. We will be walking the property this summer. My brother who lives across the lake from this piece of property went over and walked it for us. As he has lived on the lake for quite a few years he is very familiar with the land around it. It is solid ground for building. He has suggested as others that we have the soil tested for the best type of septic system. He didn't have to have soil testing done as he bought with cabin already on property. Any suggestions for who or where to have soil samples done??
When you get there, just look in the yellow pages or ask around. Not a big hurry until you are ready.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,153,000 times
Quote:
If your brother is here, he might know of the right people or know of someone who knows...I think a lot here is done on a "word of mouth" basis... If he doesn't know, might be best to do as Starlite said and wait until you are here, get out the phonebook or paper and start calling, much easier if you are here and can meet in person, at least initially...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:18 AM

202 posts, read 729,388 times
Hi Blueflames50. I live in Kenai. Years ago I put in a septic system in Kenai. I checked with DEC and they were kind of iffy about doing a perc test due to lack of manpower. They kind of left it up to the contractor. I used Aardvark to do my foundation excavation and septic. I had another company do the concrete slab but I don't think they're still around. Aardvark is in Sterling so it's pretty far for them to Nikiski. There should be several good foundation outfits in Nikiski. There used to be a well driller in Nikiski and they may be one source for references on your ground work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska