Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,903,299 times

Advertisements

I finally got my AT&T aircard. I get on line for about 5 minutes than I'm booted out. The error messages either say no network found or no wireless device found or 'error 718'. I called tech support and after about 90 minutes of doing, he goes to talk to someone who tells him there are problems with service right now in Hawaii and Alaska. I think he just doesn't know how to fix the problem.

Any AT&T aircard users in Alaska having the same problem? They're suppose to have service here in Angoon. I know the cell phone carruer the job gave me to use when I'm on call is AT&T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM

351 posts, read 683,542 times
Try google AT&T Aircard error 718, I saw a lot of entries. But there are so many other questions - I don't want to turn this into a tech support forum. But there is a lot of info out there.
There are probably card specific programs which show what status you have, are you getting an IP address, what other network drivers are you running, do you have a firewall installed. etc.

Hope you resolve this. Work provided me a verizon aircard in Hawaii and I had no problems but if they are really having problems in your area - than nothing you do will help. Maybe someone in your area will be on this board and give you the lowdown.

Brian

Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM

I do have one question. Does your aircard have an internal antenna or an external one you can attach. I had better performance with the external vs the internal. The internal was a bit picky on location and orientation of the card and laptop. I moved over 5 feet and things were good, turn the laptop and it would drop. The external antenna worked much better. Try turning your laptop or moving it around to see - maybe that will prevent the dropping if the signal is marginal.

Brian

Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM

Thanks Brian. The atenna is internal. The 718 error message sys its 'taking to long' to access the network. I'm on call this week so don't have time to talk with a tech for a long period of time so thanks for the advice about going on line. I tried again to get on last night with no success. I get four bars and it says its connecting to the AT&T network but then ... nothing.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 PM

Siouxcia,

Well the ROF's (Really Old Farts) are taking a nap, I will soon be too, weird sleeping hours with the flights from Barrow to Mass, almost 21 hours enroute, 3 airlines, a lot of little hops - I think the longest segment was less than 4 hours flight time. My body doesn't know whether to go running or go to sleep.

If you're running a firewall on your computer - you might try turning it off to see if that will help. Of course if it works, you will need to turn it back on and allow the aircard software to access the internet.

I usually find it difficult to provide support remotely - I really empathize with the telephone support folks, something I could fix in person in minutes or hours sometimes takes hours or days over the phone.

Just something else that is easy to check.

Wow people must be going out and off line in this area. I noticed the internet speed got better so I did a couple of quick tests. 4.5Mb download speed - a lot better than it was earlier.

Good luck,
Brian

Old 12-31-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
Siouxcia,

Well the ROF's (Really Old Farts) are taking a nap, I will soon be too, weird sleeping hours with the flights from Barrow to Mass, almost 21 hours enroute, 3 airlines, a lot of little hops - I think the longest segment was less than 4 hours flight time. My body doesn't know whether to go running or go to sleep.

If you're running a firewall on your computer - you might try turning it off to see if that will help. Of course if it works, you will need to turn it back on and allow the aircard software to access the internet.

I usually find it difficult to provide support remotely - I really empathize with the telephone support folks, something I could fix in person in minutes or hours sometimes takes hours or days over the phone.

Just something else that is easy to check.

Wow people must be going out and off line in this area. I noticed the internet speed got better so I did a couple of quick tests. 4.5Mb download speed - a lot better than it was earlier.

Good luck,
Brian
Thanks again. I'm going to see if there are areas in my temp residence that will work. I do have a usb port extender that I may put the aircard in to. Then, I'll be able to move it around like an antennae. I'm still at work. Two emergencies walked in and I had 'regular' patients waiting. But I'm done with them now. I'm on here avoiding the paperwork.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,794,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Thanks again. I'm going to see if there are areas in my temp residence that will work. I do have a usb port extender that I may put the aircard in to. Then, I'll be able to move it around like an antennae. I'm still at work. Two emergencies walked in and I had 'regular' patients waiting. But I'm done with them now. I'm on here avoiding the paperwork.
Will have to finish eventually, I get that often Attention Deficit, anything but work is better!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Will have to finish eventually, I get that often Attention Deficit, anything but work is better!!!
Ya got that right!!! I love what I do but hate the paper work with a passion.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:22 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,857,186 times
Is it possible to connect the card up to a stronger external antenna?

Old 01-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Is it possible to connect the card up to a stronger external antenna?
I don't know. I was able to get on line last night but the connection was slower than what I remember my telephone internet connection ever was. This morning I couldn't get on at all even though I had four bars and the manager box said I was connected to the AT&T network. I called in and got a different tech support person. She got my zip code and said,'Oh my, your area is completely whited out. I don't think you can even get cell phone service there.' The clinics cell phone the clinic provided me because I take call is AT&T and is working just fine. I told her that and told her that the techie last week end told me I should be getting good service here in Angoon. That was before he went somewhere and came back with 'Alaska and Hawaii are having major connection problems. They should be fixed in 24 to 48 hours.' It's 120 hours later and the problem still isn't fixed. After I told her that, she went somewhere for five minutes, came back and told me the same story. Anyway while on the phone with here, I was able to get on line. It's still slower than molasses in winter but I'm here. I asked how I'm going to be billed since both she and the other techie admitted this is an AT&T problem. She said I would be billed the full amount. If I have an objection, I can take it up with customer service in accounting but since I have gotten on sporadically, she doubts that my bill will be adjusted.

Heavy sigh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska