Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:47 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I have been doing animal rescue from kill shelters and adoptions for over 12 years. Breeding just adds to the unwanted dogs in the shelters. Breeders cannot keep track of their pups they place in what they think are good homes....unfortunately not all turn out to be. I rescued at a kill shelter that was always loaded with Malamutes and Huskies, nobody wanted them. Husky rescues would take as many as they could but they are very hard dogs to adopt out. Soooo many end up in pounds that you are not even aware of. What you think is a good home most likely is not in the end. We see it happen all the time. Unless you are involved in rescue you have not a clue what goes on. They are cute pups but when they grow to full adult size they get out of control without the right training, most people will not deal with them and turn them in. Sad to say but true. Sorry is I offended anyone but we have to spay and neuter all pets! Unless you are a showdog enthusiast! And even those people get rid of their older show dogs to keep the new! Most people breed for the money and if they say otherwise they are lying!
Blondie, I agree with a lot of what you say..especially breeding can lead to many unwanted dogs, I think a lot of these are from backyard or inexperienced breeders, and spay or neuter...My cockers "accidently" got locked up a year ago last fall, my female was only 9 months...one day no interest, next minute looking at me like....She was a wonderful mom, but by the time I trained puppies and got up with them like a newborn baby...I was convinced...I loved the puppies, but way too much work....there was a demand to some extent for them up here, as not many cockers, as an inside dog or rental dog....The three I sold, I see every couple of months and is so cool to see their little personalities, and reassure their families that I will take them back no matter what, when, why...and I know this situation is not the norm. The one we kept is surely the best of mom and dad and going nowhere. Needless to say this summer when mom was going to be going into heat again, and we had family coming...I came to the conclusion she needed to be spayed and did that.

Now where you are at, husky's and malemutes are probably hard, as assuming you are in a warm weather climate and can certainly understand a problem with that, as these dogs thrive on cold, and in an urban or suburban environment they are a handful and like to run no matter what the temperature...Up here malemutes and husky's are a popluar breed due to the cold I think, and a lot of open space, then having them be able to tolerate being with during outside activities, skiing, sledding, just walking, etc.... I totally agree they take a lot of training and work, I have had one we bought, and several rescues....and if had the time, they are my dog of choice. You saying too many people get dogs and let them go is totally true, but that is not the dog's fault...A lot of people rescue and then can't deal with the dog's issues that were developed with a previous owner.. and the cycle continues. My male has those problems due to what he went through with my brother. When he wanted the dog back, I told him forget it, he was going with me and a good thing with what resulted after... The whole scenario is up for a lot of debate, but then we can get into issues with children as well....,but not here. I think this is the same the people that replied were thinking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 05:54 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
And Blondie I must also speak up here. I do agree with you on the shelters and I don't think anyone would argue your point. But your tact was immature. You are assuming an awful lot of things about me. I have met quite a few people on here and have spoken with most of the rest for a while now and they know me pretty well. We are not in this for money.
For example; Our dog had 6 pus, 4 survived, 2 were stillborn. One pup goes for stud fee, we are keeping 2, and selling 1. We feed all organic premium foods at a rate of $250.00 a month (that's just dog food, not biscuits and meat & fish). We have about a $1,000 Vet bill because our precious mommy got pneumonia in the middle of her pregnancy.
Now you add this up and tell me I'm not in the red financially. Also we would be breeding our ******* every cycle to get as many pups as we could before age set in...this was her 4th cycle, she is 2 years old and her very first litter. Now please ASS-ume away about me some more! What is your saying "punish the deed not the breed" this breed wouldn't be here if honest people didn't fight to keep them pure and alive.
Oh and don't let me forget not only have we rescued dogs and cats but I have 2 rescue horses to live out there days in peace here.
Just some education about me for you.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:07 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,942,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Although I can empathize, Blondie, with the plight of abandoned pets and would wish to rescue all of them, I have to step in here and say that no...your prior comment directed to Stephanie was not educational. It was a condemnation and one that was not warranted.
I totally agree here. Blondie, that post was more along the lines of an attack on someone to satisfy your own self righteous agenda. Stephanie does not run a puppy mill, those of us who know her are happy in her familie's joy for their new additions. I too have volunteered may hours at the Humane Society over the years,have been appalled by some of the atrocities I have witnessed and own a rescue dog. But your comments were an unwarranted attack on a decent individual, not a public service announcement.

Last edited by lyoness; 01-01-2009 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,734,914 times
I did not read all of these posts, so I do not know what is going on with your puppies, but I saw the pics and they are adorable. I hope those wonderful dogs have a happy and deservedly cared for life.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Old 01-01-2009, 06:25 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I have been doing animal rescue from kill shelters and adoptions for over 12 years. Breeding just adds to the unwanted dogs in the shelters. Breeders cannot keep track of their pups they place in what they think are good homes....unfortunately not all turn out to be. I rescued at a kill shelter that was always loaded with Malamutes and Huskies, nobody wanted them. Husky rescues would take as many as they could but they are very hard dogs to adopt out. Soooo many end up in pounds that you are not even aware of. What you think is a good home most likely is not in the end. We see it happen all the time. Unless you are involved in rescue you have not a clue what goes on. They are cute pups but when they grow to full adult size they get out of control without the right training, most people will not deal with them and turn them in. Sad to say but true. Sorry is I offended anyone but we have to spay and neuter all pets! Unless you are a showdog enthusiast! And even those people get rid of their older show dogs to keep the new! Most people breed for the money and if they say otherwise they are lying!
I was a private rescue in remote Alaska for about 30 years. I took in dogs other people didn't want, no longer 'needed because the kids went to college,' dumped beside the road, left behind when they moved, literally threw away. One of our last dogs was a puppy DH found in a dumpster behind a grocery store - someone had literally thrown away a litter of about 2 1/2 weeks. We fed her around the clock, she survived, and was the dog of his heart for over 12 years. One that I have now, a 3 year old beagle, came from a no-kill shelter, but this is the first time he's ever lived in a house. He's as sweet as sugar, and dumb as a brick, but he sleeps curled up on me every night. Of the other two, the older one we brought from Alaska, and she came from a litter someone told the bush pilot to 'drop out the door when you get over the water.' He took them to the shelter instead. She's a lab/newfie with just enough husky to have that 'gotta run' gene. I sort of inherited a team of Siberians after I moved to Alaska, and that was it for me. My ex's wife had wanted to raise them, but when they split, she left him with all her dogs. When we split, he left them with me. I've had dogs shipped to me from different parts of Alaska at the owner's expense, because they knew my reputation for taking in and caring for them - not cheap, either, when those particular dogs happened to be an Irish wolfhound and a Borzoi.

The real heartbreakers were the ones that were so damaged health or temperament-wise that the kindest thing to do was to have them put down peacefully while I held them. Can you imagine what a dog with mange and totally bald would suffer living in Alaska? She was the worst one, a sweet, loving little ***** that just couldn't be saved. I cried buckets over that one.

There is a kill shelter here, but the dog catcher also makes every effort to find homes for whatever strays he picks up. It's probably a good thing I can't drive anymore, or I'd be spending every penny of my retirement on taking in more animals. And by the way, I also have a rescued cockatoo that we got maybe 15 years ago, and it's taken him most of that time to decide that I'm okay, and not to try to bite me every time I get too close. When the time comes that I'm no longer able to care for him, he's going into a sanctuary. Besides the dogs and the bird, I also have a horse I rescued last summer, rather neglected and abused - more neglected than anything, and I've been working with her ever since. She's a sweetie, and spoiled rotten - I just hope she learns enough tolerance eventually to let the vet check her, because she's supposedly expecting a foal in July or August.

So once you have a track record like mine, you can feel superior to all the rest of us. Until then, all you can do is the best you can - and instead of attacking a breeder who certainly appears to be ethical and responsible, try discouraging people from buying those designer mutts from pet shops. All those poo mixes and other toy mixes are cute if you see them in a shelter, but who in their right mind would pay upwards of a grand for, say, a Schnauzalier? For that matter, who in their right mind would deliberately cross a toy Schnauzer with a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:40 PM

Well said Karibear, but alas I must spread the luv around

Old 01-01-2009, 06:41 PM

I must apologize to everyone here. I was not trying to provide a topic in aide of someone who must go thru C-D looking up anything to do with animals and then attacking that person.
I was simply trying to share the joy and excitment we are feeling regarding our new family members. All of our critters whether they are with us for 8 weeks or 16 years are our family members.
Sorry this caused such a ruckus.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I did not read all of these posts, so I do not know what is going on with your puppies, but I saw the pics and they are adorable. I hope those wonderful dogs have a happy and deservedly cared for life.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner
Thank you. And what a great quote.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 PM

You have nothing to apologize for!!! The majority of us are thrilled for you (and want a red Mal ), you my dear were the victim of a random attack, don't take it personal, we all see the truth here.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:49 PM

Thank you Nancy. If we decide that keeping only 1 pup is enough and sell our red pup, I will surely let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska