Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:50 AM

519 posts, read 1,697,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
2. Pride & Prejudice (but only this version,not any other by other actors): Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen). Romance
Oh please. That movie is an embarrassment to Jane Austen [okay, it's not that bad ... I'm exaggerating ]. But, really, if she wants to watch the "real" version, she needs to see the six hour [] BBC film with Colin Firth [you might want to poke your eyeballs out with a fork at hour four, but it does Austen proud]. There is a reason its following is still going strong after 13 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Default Nah, she's just being comforted by familiar scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
My wife just turned on a movie she watched just a week ago to see again. She does this all the time and seems to have about 8 to 10 movies she will watch EVERY time they are on!
They are as follows...
I notice there are a handful of movies I like to watch over and over, just for the familiarity. I am more apt to watch them when my brain is full or I'm stressed and just can't take the suspense of a new drama, or the news, for that matter. There's a certain level of comfort in seeing familiar faces and watching familiar scenes, so it may be a sign she's feeling weary of the world when she's watching them.

Sometimes it's nice to watch a show where you know the ending, but the acting is still so good you enjoy seeing it again. "Tombstone" with Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell comes to mind. I also like "The Saint". Seeing a pattern here? Good looking heroes...named Val...Kurt, Sam

For sheer giggles, "Birdcage" and "My Blue Heaven" are fun. And I have to admit "That 70's Show" reruns are a hoot. When I'm on a date, I don't mind watching shows where they blow everything up, that's a good stress relief too. "Demolition Man" is a Classic. I LOVED "Live Free or Die Hard" with Bruce Willis.

Hey, if all she's doing is watching shows over and over, that's a waaaaay better form of crazy than I've seen in some people!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Okay i surrender! She isnt crazy... You all reminded me of my own repeats.. Napolean Dynamite seen 10 times at least.. Lord of the Rings seen all the movies several times and read the books about once a year for last 25 years.

On the current topic the wife is definetly a Jack Sparrow fan as Orlando has a "baby face" (her words). Others she has "loved" in movies.. Aragorn from LOTR but only in that role. Val Kilmer in Tombstone again that role only. Sean Connery in any movie he is in last 20 years. As far as me.. i really dont watch movies for any actresses once the nude scene is over i zone out!
Thought you'd come around.... She is special, not crazy...

Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
Oh my gosh, I had typed Val Kilmer in Tombstone into my last reply then I deleted it .......and Sean Connery could do an AARP commercial, and it would get my attention. Weird. Sean Connery in "Highlander"....now that's one me and hubby will both re-watch!
I loved Tombstone...and Highlander has to be my all-time favourite (even if Christopher Lambert is French ) You're like how I am, only it is Sam Elliot for me. He can read me the dictionary and I would be content. I agree with the Last of the Mohicans - absolutely one of the better flicks out there. I suppose period pieces and action films are my favourites.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
I like good comedy, or a movie where the dialogue is quick, witty and funny. Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn top my list with those, and I watch them as often as I see they're on. But I also think "Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon" are true film classics and should be introduced to children as young as 6 or 7 to show them what a "good" film really is.

Otherwise, I love W. C. Fields and the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, and the earlier Abbott/Costello films.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM

823 posts, read 1,732,858 times
Porky's 1 & 2 not some much 3......

Old 01-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grill God View Post
Porky's 1 & 2 not some much 3......
We give a bloody new meaning to opposites attract. God.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzter View Post
Oh please. That movie is an embarrassment to Jane Austen [okay, it's not that bad ... I'm exaggerating ]. But, really, if she wants to watch the "real" version, she needs to see the six hour [] BBC film with Colin Firth [you might want to poke your eyeballs out with a fork at hour four, but it does Austen proud]. There is a reason its following is still going strong after 13 years!
She already watched the real version, and she disliked it quite a lot. I was watching it with her, and could only do 2 hours of it. Could not stand it
The woman looked like she was 8 months pregnant under that dress, and with a constant lip pucker. The episodes (trailers) where sort of disconnected from each other. The episodes on the short version seem to flow as one, the girl is beautiful, and the lighting and colors are gorgeous. Also, Duchess, or whatever she was (the one who didn't wanted him to marry her daughter instead), does a superb job on that role. This lady has always been one my my favorite actresses (Ms. Money Penny, in the James Bond movies). She passed away a year or two ago, I believe.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-06-2009 at 08:58 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
She already watched the real version, and she disliked it quite a lot. I was watching it with her, and could only do 2 hours of it. Could not stand it
The woman looked like she was 8 months pregnant under that dress, and the episodes where sort of disconnected from each other. The episodes on the short version seem to flow as one, the girl is beautiful, and the lighting and colors are gorgeous.
And the soundtrack is lovely....I agree with you Ray. I did like the lengthy P&P film; but I thoroughly enjoyed the Kiera Knightley version as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What?! No way...my bro, my dad, and some guy friends have their movies they'll watch any time they catch 'em on tv. They're just different movies.

The other night, I got stuck watching Independence Day (again, for the thousandth time) b/c of them!
That's a nice one, but I have only watched it twice. The following ones are pretty nice, too:

-The Marathon Man. Old movie, by Dustin Hoffman (Hofman??)
-The Last Of The Mohicans (the actor from the movie, Gangs Of New York)
-Predator (the first one by Arnold)
-Paycheck (by Ben Afleck)
-The Patriot (Mel Gibson)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska