U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:06 PM

3,811 posts, read 2,860,052 times
I worry about bacteria and parasites that a wild animal, wolf, can tolerate but my domesticated dog can't. We lost most of the moose in ND due to some sort of illness and for a little while the deer population was also dying from an unknown cause. My dog is 12 years old, acts like a puppy and I hope he lasts a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 03:15 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,376,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I see a problem with raw food when it comes from wild game such as moose, caribou, and others. So when I kill a moose, we always cook any meat or bones before we let our dog have it.

When I cut the meat into steaks, roasts, stew meat, etc., I also take a portion of it and wrap it for our dog. When my wife and I cook this and other mats for "Abbie" (the dog), we boil it in plenty of water, add some extra virgin olive oil, and a little garlic. Yes, the dog has been quite spoiled by us, and while she eats some of her dog food she also eats the same foods we eat
Just so you know Ray, Garlic is poisonous when given regularly over time to dogs. I understand your concern over parasites and such in wild game, which is why we regualrly deworm our dogs and keep them up to date on vaccines. With a raw diet they have a higher and healthier immunity. If you wanted to be sure you can always freeze the meat for 3-4 weeks which kills off round and hook worms and then feed it to them raw

Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I worry about bacteria and parasites that a wild animal, wolf, can tolerate but my domesticated dog can't. We lost most of the moose in ND due to some sort of illness and for a little while the deer population was also dying from an unknown cause. My dog is 12 years old, acts like a puppy and I hope he lasts a few more years.
The domestic canine has the exact same digestive system as the wild wolf.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:57 PM

12,804 posts, read 13,377,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
The domestic canine has the exact same digestive system as the wild wolf.
I read in a veterinarian national web site that while onion is poisonous to dogs, garlic is not. However, i am going to listen to what you have said about it, just in case.

Correction: I went back to another web site, and just found out that garlic, although not as poisonous as onions, is still poisonous to dogs. Thanks for the warning.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-11-2009 at 04:14 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 05:46 PM

You are most welcome. I am not here to preach or convert anyone but am happy to share what I do know, because I am always trying to learn more and more about the appropriate care of our babies.

Most Vets get their education about canine nutrition in vet school from the reps at the commercial dog food companies...no lie, it's sad. There are a few that have furthered their education for the betterment of the animal and not the commercial companies pocketbook.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:06 PM

15,791 posts, read 15,131,782 times
I give them soup bones now and then; that's all.

The BARF diet looks interesting though and seems to have a lot of vet. backing.

BARF Diet

Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,754,128 times
That's a great site Met. I never thought too much about a natural diet, my boys get a few bits of raw meat now and then for a treat. Steph you have really peaked my curiosity, I'm going to have to research this. I do feed them Nutro, which is a good dry food you can only get at a pet store. Lamb & Rice because my cairn terrier has allergies to wheat or corn. In your experience is feeding a raw diet more expensive than pet store food? Do you have to do a lot of, for lack of a better word, cooking up special meals for the dogs?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 PM

3,811 posts, read 2,860,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
You are most welcome. I am not here to preach or convert anyone but am happy to share what I do know, because I am always trying to learn more and more about the appropriate care of our babies.

Most Vets get their education about canine nutrition in vet school from the reps at the commercial dog food companies...no lie, it's sad. There are a few that have furthered their education for the betterment of the animal and not the commercial companies pocketbook.
That's not quite true. Vets just like doctors and nurses get educated in nutrition by professors, teachers, scientists, and nutritionists in their particular field of expertise. Two of my good friends are vets. One of them is also a Family Practice Physician. Reps who are probably only educated in their particular product, bring their products into a vet/medical clinic and give their schpell there, not in the class room.

While the digestive tract of a wolf and a dog may be the same,I don't believe that the levels their acids and enzymes are the same. Just as people in 3rd world countries aren't plaqued with vomiting and diarrhea a few hours after eating, American or European tourists who eat the same diet may be. I guess the digestive acids and enzyme development may depend on what you raise your dog to eat. Immune systems also develop differently in different environments for people and animals.

I used to think that bones were ok to give my dog until one of my friend's dog had to have emergency surgery after his intestine was perforated with a deer bone.

I'm sure your dogs are healthy on their diet but I think people who are going to switch to a raw meat diet should do so cautiously. A commercial diet includes vitamins and other supplements that may not be in a raw meat diet and I would recommend adding them if you don't already include them. I don't know if there have been any studies on the longetivity of dogs on a raw meat diet but would be interested to read any if there are some. We all love our animals, that's why we're pet owners. We're all going to do what we believe is best for our animals.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
That's a great site Met. I never thought too much about a natural diet, my boys get a few bits of raw meat now and then for a treat. Steph you have really peaked my curiosity, I'm going to have to research this. I do feed them Nutro, which is a good dry food you can only get at a pet store. Lamb & Rice because my cairn terrier has allergies to wheat or corn. In your experience is feeding a raw diet more expensive than pet store food? Do you have to do a lot of, for lack of a better word, cooking up special meals for the dogs?
Nutro is a descent brand, I use to feed Solid Gold which is organic and holisitc, but at $53 a bag that would only last us a week got to be rather much.
I have found that the prepackaged raw meals are another way to waste money and cost twice as much as name brand kibble. If you can afford them...I can't...then use them, they are definitly better than any kibble. However I find that it's really easy to feed them raw from my own kitchen. Rule of thumb is 2-3% of their body weight. I feed twice a day so for a 100# dog I would feed 1 1/2 pounds in the am and same in the pm. I use a little kitchen scale for accuracy. Give a chicken quarter with bones and skin or ground beef or an organ meat. Basically you want to try to re-create the entire prey animal over a period of a few days. It's really simple. Plus I raise chickens for us as well as the dogs for eggs and meat. If you hunt or no someone who does that also helps. If not buy the food at the grocery store or from a meat processing plant. Always remember to feed the Raw Meaty Bones (RMB)....NEVER COOKED BONES, they splinter can can get stuck in the digestive tract. Raw bones are softer. It's really very easy and not time consuming at all especially once you are in a routine.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM

Souxcia, I was rather nervous myself about giving my dogs raw food, but instead of fearing it I learned all I could about it and continue to. Everyone has their own opinion and like I said I'm not here to argue with anyone about what's right or wrong. All I will ask you to do is research it for yourself. If you would like some help, DM me, and I would be more than happy to supply you with a list of links to a wealth of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska