U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-11-2009, 09:38 AM

7,016 posts, read 6,828,269 times

Advertisements

So glad I found this site!! Recent major storms here have given me some free time to surf this site!! To the one's who post photo's....thanks so much! hope to do the same when we move to Alaska! Now the big question, you all were so good about answering my last post.....what types of internet connections do you use??? I understand Nikiski has only dial up at this time. So....do any of you use a BlackBerry phone as a modem?? Given the photo's and posting time tells me that you use some type of high speed connection. What else is available beside dial up???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 AM

14,943 posts, read 25,064,932 times
I use a so called DSL via ACS in Sterling...which is a mere 20 miles from Kenai.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM

7,016 posts, read 6,828,269 times
DSL is what I have here and love it. People in our area who are not so lucky I have set up with a BlackBerry phone to use as the modem via satellite and it works really well. just wondering what is all available up there. Is there anyone in the Nikiski area that has DSL??? or any word if it will be available in Nikiski in the near future???

Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM

8,673 posts, read 9,893,264 times
I have the same as Rance through ACS in Soldotna, which is what we had in Kenai also, but not sure about Nikiski...

Here is a link for you, and if nothing else can call or email them to find out..Alaska Communication Systems, Alaska Wireless, Alaska Internet

Ok, now that I'm thinking a bit...we have Dish Network TV, and not sure if they have satellite internet or not, would think so, but they are different in AK versus -48, as we had to buy our dish and receiver, and to get the programming we used to have in -48, would need a second dish to hook to that....so we go without the military channel, health channel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska