U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:47 AM

44 posts, read 260,836 times

Advertisements

Lately I have been inspired to buy some remote land and build a cabin. This after reading a couple's web site Building a log cabin in Alaska, preparing the land and peeling logs. where they did just that - and built the cabin out of logs they cut down from their land.

So I have been on the DNR website lately, wanting to buy land from the Hewitt Whiskey Lakes subdivision near Talkeetna. I have dreams of going out there in summer and building it.....then outfitting it with a propane tank for cooking + refrigeration, a woodstove for heating, and oil lamps for lighting. Water purifier for water from the lake, compost toilet....etc.

I have been talking about this constantly, and my husband just laughs and says I am crazy. What do you guys think? Am I forgetting stuff? Right now I live in Wisconsin, and although its not as cold as Alaska it does get pretty cold and I have a good idea what its like there in the winter.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jsta_grl22; 01-12-2009 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 PM

6,158 posts, read 3,760,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsta_grl22 View Post
Lately I have been inspired to buy some remote land and build a cabin. This after reading a couple's web site Building a log cabin in Alaska, preparing the land and peeling logs. where they did just that - and built the cabin out of logs they cut down from their land.

So I have been on the DNR website lately, wanting to buy land from the Hewitt Whiskey Lakes subdivision near Talkeetna. I have dreams of going out there in summer and building it.....then outfitting it with a propane tank for cooking + refrigeration, a woodstove for heating, and oil lamps for lighting. Water purifier for water from the lake, compost toilet....etc.

I have been talking about this constantly, and my husband just laughs and says I am crazy. What do you guys think? Am I forgetting stuff? Right now I live in Wisconsin, and although its not as cold as Alaska it does get pretty cold and I have a good idea what its like there in the winter.

Thoughts?
I find it funny that people in the lower 48 find things crazy that are perfectly acceptable ways of living here. What is crazy really? I am reading a good book that begins with this quote

"Actually, only a small minority of the human race will ever consider primeval nature a basic source of happiness... Mankind as a whole is too numerous for its problem of happiness to be solved by the simple expedient of paradise."

Robert Marshall, An early explorer of the Brooks Range of Alaska.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM

13 posts, read 37,627 times
thanks for the link. Great read. It cool to see peoples personal experiences up in Alaska. That seems to be the toughest thing to find on the net. Very well done.

BTW your not crazy; just adventurous. Go for it or you will regret never trying.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:52 PM

18,999 posts, read 24,521,189 times
Quote:
So I have been on the DNR website lately, wanting to buy land from the Hewitt Whiskey Lakes subdivision near Talkeetna.
It's a beautiful area. But see the land first before you buy it. There's some very swampy areas there.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,815,371 times
I think it's a great idea...go for it.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM

18,999 posts, read 24,521,189 times
But not before seeing the land in person, please.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM

15,770 posts, read 20,073,055 times
Don't confine yourself to one area for land either. I wasn't even considering the spot I bought land at initially but I'm rather glad I did look into it eventually instead of buying where I originally planned to...

Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM

374 posts, read 942,432 times
I definitely agree with all the above comments, and no, you aren't crazy. Two thoughts, though.

One: The DNR land near Talkeetna is EXTREMELY hard to find. Most if it was surveyed in 1975 by a guy that retired three years ago and no one else knows many of the locations. There is some good land available, but find it first! There are some nice pieces, if they are still available, in the Birch Creek Subdivisions. We actually found some of those!!

Two: Make sure you really know what you are and are not willing to sacrifice. My husband and I wanted to do exactly what you are describing, and then we had the opportunity to live in a cabin with no running water (not such a big deal) and had to snowmachine in and out. And we discovered that we got more than we bargained for. We don't mind living simply, but the lack of amenities plus the snowmachining got old really quick. So now we have revised plans for the future in terms of what we want to do differently. Living that way can be absolute bliss if you are prepared for what you have to do and you plan ahead.

You aren't crazy! The other thing that we have discovered, is that at some point, you just have to make the jump and do it. We talked and talked and talked and talked and it never gets any easier, or seems any saner. YOu can plan and think and strategize, and at some point, you just have to go for it.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:53 PM

6,158 posts, read 3,760,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
I
have hit return to quick like this and posted a incomplete post as well.. See I am not the only one Thanks Megan!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:02 PM

149 posts, read 301,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitt View Post
thanks for the link. Great read. It cool to see peoples personal experiences up in Alaska. That seems to be the toughest thing to find on the net. Very well done.

BTW your not crazy; just adventurous. Go for it or you will regret never trying.
I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska