Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,050 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is going to sound a little goofy but heres my plan. I live in Colorado and met a Master Guide who lives here and guides in Alaska. he took me bear hunting last spring and I fell in love with the whole experience. What I want to do is buy a plane, learn to fly, and then go to work as a guide for him. He doesn't need guides but he would need a guide who owns a plane.

My question: What would be suggested for a plane? The Master flies an "experimental" but can only haul one person. That being said the plane was cheap to build and will go almost anywhere. Is there a plane that can be purchased economicaly that has great performance but a little bigger payload?

Big plans I know, but for sure I am going to school for my pilots license so would like to get some ideas on planes.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Sounds like an awesome plan. You need a Super Cub. Then also make sure you bring plenty of canned crops with you as well.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/akbushcop/supercub.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Starlite09 who posts here can probably give you some real help with your question.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:07 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
Big plans I know, but for sure I am going to school for my pilots license so would like to get some ideas on planes.

Thanks
Dreams and schemes are wonderful.

But the serious part that is just a step or two away has to be worked out in detail before you get too wound up in the specifics for the dreams that are far in the future.

Don't worry about what kind of an airplane an Alaska guide needs (until you get a lot closer to it than you are now). Instead, worry about what kind of an airplane you can learn to fly in. Initially you probably don't want to consider purchasing one, and instead just rent what is available for flight training. One side effect of flight training is certainly going to be a hugely advanced knowledge of airplane types...

It might be possible that your first plane would be a plane suitable for a guide. It also might be that you'll decide on one that is more suitable to your immediate needs for a great deal of flying experience right where you are. Who knows? Take it one step at a time and don't make decisions now based on assumptions about what is down the road until you actually do know where the road goes. Otherwise you might make some very expensive mistakes that hinder your ability to realize the dream.

But, keep dreaming, keep scheming, and plug right along at getting the qualifications you need. It's not just being there that's fun, it's the path you took getting there too!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
there are several flight schools in Anchorage that would love to have your business. I would suggest coming up getting a job and taking lessons ground and flight.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
You will be flying for hire which means you'll need a commercial pilots license, this will be spendy along with the purchase of a plane.

Aside from the Super Cub, you can get a Aviat Husky which is similar to the Cub but with more power and a constant speed prop. You can also look at a Cessna 180 or a 185 which hauls more cargo and passengers.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,050 times
Good to have some encouragement. Thanks.

I'm not young so if it is going to happen it will happen on a schedule. It sounds like the schedule is to pick a training facility and learn about planes before buying one. Practice and learn on several options and by the time a guy is licensed he should know what he wants and needs.

Good life advise from Floyd_Davidson (we often focus to hard on the destination and forget to enjoy the journey)

Thanks again all. I will ask for more specific help again when I am half way through my training. I will be back.

PS - keep your eye out for a room for rent, there just might be a 50 year old guy (who is finally doing what he wants to do) looking for a place to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska