Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:24 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times

Advertisements

I wonder how kevlar glove liners would work? They're waterproof and motorcyclists use them to prevent blisters.

Moose Racing Kevlar Glove Liners - Motorcycle Superstore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 AM

59 posts, read 148,846 times
Well, darlin', I wouldn't know about that...but I can tell you that there is a company called Duluth Traders--I believe they are in Wisconsin. My husband has a bike, and they have a fleece-lined, firehose canvas trouser that just can't be beat.
Just trust me, honey: when skin meets pavement? Pavement always wins.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 AM

59 posts, read 148,846 times
I'm sorry, ya'll--I know I must sound like Paula Deen or Loretta Lynn, but our men get cold, too. Just tryin' to help.

We've been satisfied with everything we've ever ordered from that Duluth Trading Co. Your conditions sound extreme, so you might want to call and ask if it's suited for your temperatures.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 AM

351 posts, read 681,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nurse 2 View Post
Well, darlin', I wouldn't know about that...but I can tell you that there is a company called Duluth Traders--I believe they are in Wisconsin. My husband has a bike, and they have a fleece-lined, firehose canvas trouser that just can't be beat.
Just trust me, honey: when skin meets pavement? Pavement always wins.
Hmmm, no pavement here in Barrow. But skin doesn't take much abrasion regardless the opposing surface. I've got some scars still visible, albeit barely, 4 years later from sliding on wet grass - if you're moving fast enough any even slightly abrasive surface will do it. Firehose canvas sounds interesting but do they get stiff at -50? I've got some good Carhartt bibs that would do all I need. Warpt how about you, as you have recently met the pavement/ground.

I need to look for an outer shell glove to provide the waterproofing factor, abrasion resistance would be a nice plus. Kevlar, hmmmm.

BTW Old Nurse 2, I haven't heard that 'darlin' and 'honey' stuff for a while. Used to have a dear friend who used those type words. Miss her a bit now. Any input is welcome by me.

Brian

Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,781,704 times
When in doubt, buy Carhart.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:50 PM

351 posts, read 681,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
When in doubt, buy Carhart.
Is that a made in China ripoff of: Carhartt ?

(I must still be lacking sleep - I actually thought that was humourous)

Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,472,294 times
Went out to my cabin for a few days, was about zero on the way out. A friend of mine went to his cabin a bit farther down the Lakeshore and took a guy that just moved here from Texas. We asked him if he had cold weather gear, he said that he was all set.

Since the three snowmachines have heated hand grips there wasn't an issue when he was wearing the "blue" fuzzy's. His snowboots were a cheap one layered felt liner snowmachine boot. and a pair of Insulated coveralls with a couple of heavy shirts/sweaters under it. I loaned him a full face helmet, (not because they are safer), they are very warm in cold weather and keep your eyes from freezing shut...or open....

He did alright until the trip back today. It was down to -30 in the flats and you add about 20 to 30 MPH on top of that for the added chill factor and he was freezing his fingertips, even with the heated hand grips on the snowmachine, they weren't enough. I loaned him a pair of my backup mittens, but his hands had gotten to cold for them to keep his hands warm so I use an air activated "Heating pad" that you put into each glove, his hands got warm after about five min's.

Then his feet went numb on him, and we didn't have extra boots for him so we gave him a pair of wool socks and another set of heating pads for the soles of the boots, that got him warm there. But his overall body temp was getting pretty cool by the time we got the 40 miles to town.

I used about six heating pads on him to keep him going, put them in his shirt and pants pockets and they did their job, but he wasn't dressed for what he was doing to start with. We started out at above zero, and at any time the temps can drop to -50 or colder. You need to be dressed for the worst, or at least have backup with you if you don't have shelter next to you.

Next time I would bet he will be a bit more inquiring on what to wear....

After I thought about it, here is a photo of how he was dressed sitting on my snowmachine... took it yesterday Jan. 20th, but the date is wrong, keeps changing everytime I replace the batteries...
Attached Thumbnails
gear to wear in cold weather?-100_1404.jpg  

Last edited by starlite9; 01-22-2009 at 01:03 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 AM

I tried to rep you again starlite, but got that "spread it around thing again".
Please keep telling it like it is......

Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
Is that a made in China ripoff of: Carhartt ?

(I must still be lacking sleep - I actually thought that was humourous)
Yea, I guess it's may be the same stuff. But don't laugh, kept within it's limitations Carhartt makes some great gear.
I'm just saying, if you're looking around and with no one to help, look at the Carhartt rack.
Read the labels also........

Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Before and after shot, priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska