U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2009, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 29,369 times
Default Fort Greely/Delta Junction

Considering taking a job: Should I drive or Fly? What is the availability of cars, Where would I stay after ariving and is renting/ housing available. Any and all comments welcome
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM

58 posts, read 105,177 times
military or contract work? if u'd be coming up in the warmer months i'd drive- its beautiful!! if winter months, fly. there are several car dealerships in fairbanks (100 miles away). they're more expensive than in the lower 48, but not too bad.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 PM

I will be a civilian contract at Fort Greenly. Thank you for the information! Should be coming sometime in February if I decided to take the job.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Default Salary

Anyone have ideas on the Minimum salary I would need to live in the Fort Greely or Delta junction area. I would probably rent based on the expense of owning a house up there. As a civilian, would living on Fort greely and renting housing there be a better option?

Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 PM

58 posts, read 105,177 times
you'd probably be able to find newer places to rent off post- i'm pretty sure the prices to rent off and on post aren't that much different though. i'd give courtney durham a call at durham realty and ask her what kinds of places are up for rent right now. she's very nice and will be able to help you get a better idea of what's available off post. if you're going to be a contract worker then your salary should be quite sufficient to support the cost of living up here. plus you'll get to shop at the commissary where food is cheaper than it is at the grocery store off post. it's really not that bad up here- i'd take the job. it'd be an adventure and the right to say you've done something out of the box if nothing else! if you're into hunting and fishing you'll love it up here.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM

12,618 posts, read 12,785,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerald Tilton View Post
Considering taking a job: Should I drive or Fly? What is the availability of cars, Where would I stay after ariving and is renting/ housing available. Any and all comments welcome
Just make sure that you have the job first, before you come to Alaska. Fort Greely/Delta Junction requires a lot of driving, which adds quite a lot to the already high cost of living. By the way, there are little online "cost of living" calculators, but these only give you a rosy picture of the cost of living. Once you arrive and realize that you have to drive lots of miles to the gas station, to the mechanic, to the grocery store, or to a restaurant, and how much fuel your car uses during the winter (compared to summer), reality sets in.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the good information and encouragement to come and experience the great outdoors. I am definately leaning towards that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska