Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:32 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times

Advertisements

I'm all for helping people moving here, but I take Rance's side, if they're coming here temporarily I don't think they need my help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 30,464 times
thanks some more guys. for me, going to Alaska isnt all about the money, its about seeing an amazing part of America that i havent seen, and dont know when ill get a chance to see again. Im not really looking to make a small fortune and run, if work opened up in the winter i would stay on and experience that part of Alaska as well. I know i could make money down here and be fine, im doing that right now, in much easier and warmer conditions, but what have i really accomplished or seen. Warpt i get your humor, im a smart ass most of the time too, I just dont see the point in misleading people in a public and free place where they come for help and resources. unless im mistaken and this is a secret club of yours. ha. ive seen other threads where you were extremely helpful to people traveling or what not. was that so hard? why else are you a memeber on here?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 23,927 times
Do you have any contact for anyone in the Dutch Harbor/Unalaska area that would be hiring ? I am planning on relocating to Alaska permanently and I just don't want to come up there and be on the side of the road jobless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:16 PM

218 posts, read 518,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I'm all for helping people moving here, but I take Rance's side, if they're coming here temporarily I don't think they need my help.
I came to Alaska temporarily in 2002 for the summer. Yes I took the 17k profit that I made back with me to pay my tuition and rent for the next year in the lower 48, but I also spent 3-4k in the Alaskan economy, helped thin the salmon population on the Deshka and left with the desire to return later in life as a productive member of society. I'm graduating from dental school in June and will be making Alaska my home. I'll likely employ many locals over the next 30+ years, pay millions in employment taxes, purchase $100,000+ a year of goods and services for my business, and raise children that will respect Alaska and mother nature.

I don't post this to point out myself, but merely to remind everyone of the greatness of Alaska. Millions visit Alaska, very few actually ever make the adventure of living there (even for a summer). For many it's a decision filled with fear and unknown (ask my wife! and she's even visited for a few weeks) and for those that do it, I bet most become changed by Alaska.

There are seasonal job opportunities all over the country, seasonal jobs are largely based on tourism. If we discourage seasonal work that will directly affect the tourism industry which brings in $1.5 Billion to Alaska. There are ~14,000 seasonal workers that inhabit Alaska every year, and the attitude that they do more harm than good simply doesn't hold water with me. Source: http://www.buyusa.gov/alaska/tourism.pdf (broken link)

I realize that the attitude of many Alaskans is one of skepticism toward outsiders and that's just the way people are and the personalities that are drawn to Alaska likely have more tendency toward those types of feelings. Just remember that most Alaskans were also at one time outsiders (or their ancestors were) and in a sense everyone in America is an outsider if we trace back to our roots. Home is where you make it, and for many people who love mother nature, that is Alaska whether they were born there or not. Those that come up and leave have still made a positive contribution to the state.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Try looking on Craigslist for seasonal jobs and on Coolworks.com.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Some of you need to realize that the seasonal workers are an important part of AK's economy and quit looking down your noses at them.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
I came to Alaska temporarily in 2002 for the summer. Yes I took the 17k profit that I made back with me to pay my tuition and rent for the next year in the lower 48, but I also spent 3-4k in the Alaskan economy, helped thin the salmon population on the Deshka and left with the desire to return later in life as a productive member of society. I'm graduating from dental school in June and will be making Alaska my home. I'll likely employ many locals over the next 30+ years, pay millions in employment taxes, purchase $100,000+ a year of goods and services for my business, and raise children that will respect Alaska and mother nature.

I don't post this to point out myself, but merely to remind everyone of the greatness of Alaska. Millions visit Alaska, very few actually ever make the adventure of living there (even for a summer). For many it's a decision filled with fear and unknown (ask my wife! and she's even visited for a few weeks) and for those that do it, I bet most become changed by Alaska.

There are seasonal job opportunities all over the country, seasonal jobs are largely based on tourism. If we discourage seasonal work that will directly affect the tourism industry which brings in $1.5 Billion to Alaska. There are ~14,000 seasonal workers that inhabit Alaska every year, and the attitude that they do more harm than good simply doesn't hold water with me. Source: http://www.buyusa.gov/alaska/tourism.pdf (broken link)

I realize that the attitude of many Alaskans is one of skepticism toward outsiders and that's just the way people are and the personalities that are drawn to Alaska likely have more tendency toward those types of feelings. Just remember that most Alaskans were also at one time outsiders (or their ancestors were) and in a sense everyone in America is an outsider if we trace back to our roots. Home is where you make it, and for many people who love mother nature, that is Alaska whether they were born there or not. Those that come up and leave have still made a positive contribution to the state.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,902 times
I know that people who are looking for 'seasonal' work in AK are primarily looking at the fishing or hotel business but if you want to travel, get paid well and be sought after, go into health care! You don't have to be a doctor. Medical technicians such as in x-ray/lab/ultrasound/PT/OT are in demand in poorly served areas. RN's and LPN's (more so RN's with specialty experience) are needed everywhere as well. I'm a Nurse Practitioner and primarily work in ERs and in the Urgent Care setting but I am also board certified in Family Practice and have been traveling for over two years. I love it!!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
In all honesty if your looking for seasonal work with the chance of finding something on day one get yourself to Ketchikan by the last week in April. You'll find a job that will pay more than McDonalds. If your industrious you'll find more than one job. You can work in tourism or at the fish canneries.

The one thing you need to do now is start looking for housing. Look in SITNEWS, the Ketchikan Daily News and also the real estate section of the Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,652,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
I'm graduating from dental school in June and will be making Alaska my home. I'll likely employ many locals over the next 30+ years, pay millions in employment taxes, purchase $100,000+ a year of goods and services for my business, and raise children that will respect Alaska and mother nature.
Alaska and dentists have a love-hate relationship in a way. There have never been enough dentists here! (But the Alaska Dental Association more or less likes that, because the few that are here enjoy a very lucrative business environment.)

The lack of dentists is particularly acute in the Bush areas, where dentists are needed but are less likely to have quite the same lifestyle they can expect if they live in urban areas.

You sound like a fairly down to earth person. I'd like to extend an invitation to live and work in Bush Alaska. The payoff won't all be just dollars (though that won't be bad either)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska