Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 30,372 times

Advertisements

Im 26 and tired of living in LA. Im a hard worker and a curious person who wants to explore everything Alaska has to offer. Im looking for seasonal work on a fishing boat if at all possible, but have found no help on the internet, or from asking around, as to how i go about getting a job. If anyone could offer any help, or knowledge at all, it would be much appreciated. I would also not be against working as a roughneck on an oil rig, or any other type of seasonal work Alaska has to offer. thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,923,439 times
Get a one way ticket to Dutch Harbor, they hire everyday!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 PM

218 posts, read 515,507 times
Read this thread from a week or so ago. This question comes up often, use the search button if you can't find what you're looking for in this thread:

I am considering moving to alaska...

good luck, keep us updated.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,181,295 times
Be nice JoJo! Seasonal fishing hires are rare for actual fishing boats. Cannery ships will hire, but usually do it from hiring firms Outside. Greenhorns wander the piers in Dutch, Dillingham, Kodiak and Homer and competition is fierce. Most of the hires are within fishing families where someone can vouch for the character of the hire.

Greenhorns on the boats for the shows are there for the drama of greenhorns without a lot of experience. On the average, this is a thread that comes up about 10 times a year in this forum, and most of the information is contained in other threads. Most of the "seasonal" work on the North Slope is accomplished in winter after the construction of the ice roads in order not to damage the tundra. Roughneck is an actual job title on oil rigs as is tool pusher etc. Most of these guys started off as laborers and made their way up the chain. Rance could answer more on fishing or oil field work, but seasonal doesn't really happen on the Slope, unless it's winter. Summer seasonal work is limited to the cruise ship companies, hotels, resorts, and the Park Services, not to mention the tourist traps.

go here: Alaska Jobs - CoolWorks.com

That's about all I want to type right now.

Dillingham Questions

how do I get a job on those crabbing boats

Fishing in Alaska

Arriving in October for some Adventure

These are by no means the only threads on the Alaska forums where we have answered these questions ad nauseum. "Deadliest Catch" has a lot to answer for.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate you guys responding so quickly. And im sure that you get a lot of guys who come on here thinking they are going to alaska to score big and make it easy, But by no means do i think that there is an abundunce of jobs open right now and that I can get one by just showing up with a smile on my face and a good attitude. haha. Plus im not naive enough to be the guy who watched deadliest catch and think that i can do that, just because people are doing it on tv. I understand how hard it is and the long hours those men work, and the sacrifices they make, but the danger and hard work is in part what is drawing me to it. I've been to the websits such as coolworks.com, jobfinder.com, etc. but i doubt i will get my money's worth when all im looking for is entry level labor jobs, or greenhorn spots.

If you really think just packing up and heading to Dutch Harbor, or other harbors, is the way to go, then i guess i will look into that. I will view your links in the meantime.

Long term, im looking to make good money, in Alaska, no matter how hard i have to work to get it, until the cold Alaska winter sends me back to the lower 48 to get a seasonal gig on a friends ranch for winter in Montana, then once spring hits im hitting the back roads in my motorcycle in the lower 48 until the following fall. Ill be writing about my wandering, and hope to get as much experience as possible, and i would hate to not include Alaska in my adventure. Thanks for the information so far guys. you are kind, and you've been a big help.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 AM

ok i just read those links you sent. kinda wish i would have read them before my last response. haha. thanks to quakinator and JavaPhil for their real response, Warptman, in regards to other responses from other threads, including my own to a point, understand that because you live in Alaska, and are sick of getting all these questions by "naive or stupid tourists and annoyances" (probably your words as you type your petty responses) know that A. you dont have to respond. and B. Most people dont know much about Alaska, and because they are excited to go to your state and be a part of it, work, and pay taxes, which helps your economy, there is no need to be a smart ass to every kid with a question and a sense of adventure. for that matter, if you ever have to move to Colorado, Oklahoma, California, or Texas i would love to answer questions that might make your trip easier without the condescending remarks that you give people that are curious about Alaska.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,754,469 times
I am confused with what you are saying as to when coming, but if looking for summer work, there are canneries on the peninsula and SE...Might be good to get foot in door there and if openings on boats, tenders, fishing, etc., you might have a better chance of going further...best of luck!!! and if come to the peninsula, you might have to say hi...

Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,181,295 times
Luke, thats just Warpt's sense of humor. He's a real great guy and meant no real harm. Not just that, but he's usually the one to give great advice to newbies here on the Alaska forum.

Trust me.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,657,700 times
The sad thing is he just wants to come here and make good money until winter...then leave with that money. Sigh...

Forget abpout getting rich on a fishing boat. It just don't happen anymore. And with oil as low as it is these days...you'll be lucky to find a drilling rig running come spring.

IF your just going to drag all your money back to the lower 48...you'd be better off working down there. You'll save a ton of money.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,856,045 times
Alaska Summer Jobs | cruise ship jobs, alaska fishing jobs, Alaska oil gas jobs, and more!

If you think you might like working in a cannery, try these guys:

Icicle Seafoods, Inc. - Locations - Seward, Alaska

Then you could wander the docks on your days off, and see if you can find a fishing job...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska