Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 23,904 times

Advertisements

Where are the best places to go to look for jobs on a fishing ship if you've never done it before ? and what would be the best time to start looking for such jobs ? I was planning on coming up there this March to start looking and I plan on staying in Alaska permanently. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 PM

218 posts, read 515,412 times
Warptman? that you? this has to be a joke.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 PM

109 posts, read 333,618 times
type in fishing under the search tab.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,911,008 times
Oh no, that wasn't me. Just get a job in a store or something, McDonald's and BK hire everyday!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,749,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youontherun View Post
Where are the best places to go to look for jobs on a fishing ship if you've never done it before ? and what would be the best time to start looking for such jobs ? I was planning on coming up there this March to start looking and I plan on staying in Alaska permanently. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Gosh, we have three or so of these going right now...top of page..search fishing, crab....see what you can find after doing 'homework", then maybe ask some more questions you didn't find answers to....don't watch TV so much, might have to stand in an assembly line gutting them (fish-sea kitties) before can get a job on a fishing ship....work your way up, biology, anatomy, entrails...or you might get lucky...be a chef, learn how to cook them and will have longer lifespan and happy tummy...maybe...

Old 01-21-2009, 04:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,899,384 times
Getting a job on a fishing vessel is much more difficult now than it used to be. Now you need to be at the port standing by and hope that a captain is in need of someone and you happen to be the dude standing there at the time. Working in a processing plant and getting to know boat crew members will help. I wouldn't suggest coming to Alaska without a job, unless you have a ton of money to burn.

There are many jobs on at-sea processors based on the season. You may want to check out this site.
DLWD - Seafood Employment Unit

Old 01-21-2009, 04:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,911,008 times
Can also try Unisea.

UniSea, Inc.: Alaskan Seafood is our Business

Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,892,252 times
One of my patients told me today he's leaving for the Berring Sea next week. He'll be working on a fishing vessel from February to April. I didn't ask what company he's with. He does this every year.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,476,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youontherun View Post
Start by going to a town that has a dock.

Then go down by the area that has all the boats.

As them if they need a hand at fishing.

They will toss you a line (short rope) and tell you to tie a series of knots.

When they see that you don't know what they are asking, move on to the next boat.

By the end of the day, you will have hit most of the boats getting ready to go fishing.

Point is, if you don't know how to look for a fishing job, you don't know anything about boats and since it is a very dangerous line of work, I doubt you will find any work when there is a line of guys that know what they are doing in a boat looking for the same jobs.

Some of the Crabbers are looking for bait though.... pretty much a one time job... Kinda like the Suicide bombers... one shot and your done....

Good luck though, you can work in a cannery just about in any town. Just watch out for you fingers, they do a lot of speed chopping....

Old 10-17-2010, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,292 times
[quote=youontherun;7093875]Where are the best places to go to look for jobs on a fishing ship if you've never done it before ? and what would be the best time to start looking for such jobs ? I was planning on coming up there this december to start looking and I plan on staying in Alaska permanently. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! nasr ahmed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska