U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,538 posts, read 4,517,059 times
Reputation: 1792

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
If someone had made unwanted passes at a gal there, nobody in town would have wanted to help them either..
Making accusations of sexual impropriety is absurd, and highly inappropriate.
Quote:
In some of his earlier threads it was stated his family is from Fairbanks and he moved to FL ten years earlier from here. Seems there may be more of a link to the place that is let on.
Further inappropriate speculation.

 
Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,271 posts, read 8,065,118 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Making accusations of sexual impropriety is absurd, and highly inappropriate.
Floyd,

I expected nothing less from you, seeing the obvious hasn't been your strong point... His story stinks, there is another side to it that clearly isn't being told.

If the gal didn't want him there, and went to that extreme to kick him out, (if in fact it happened), there is a lot more to the story that isn't being told.

Quote:
Quote:
In some of his earlier threads it was stated his family is from Fairbanks and he moved to FL ten years earlier from here. Seems there may be more of a link to the place that is let on.
Further inappropriate speculation.
As for the part where I said he was from Alaska.... here is the posts that he started... He has a total of seven posts total, not a big deal to look up.

Coffee cart suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyup View Post
I'm moving back to Alaska after 10 long years in Fl just after the first of the year. My family is from Fairbanks and I may be crazy, but I LOVE Alaskian winters and I cannot wait to get back. I want to open a Coffee Cart- Nothing fancy- 3 or 4 different kinds of great tasting coffee costing a buck or two per cup...Just a simple old time coffee cart. I would love suggestions as to where there is (or IF there is) a need for such a stand- Ideally I wanted to do this in Talkeetna, however I think the coffee market is well covered there. But if you are in Anchorage, Fairbanks, or even the North Slope, and you know of a specific place where there is a market for such, please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. I would really appreciate any insight as I have been away nearly 10 years. Thanks!
The guy isn't being square with his story....
 
Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,538 posts, read 4,517,059 times
Reputation: 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
The guy isn't being square with his story....
Of course, but that doesn't mean you should be fabricating scenarios that include illegal activity and then discussing it as if it were real.

You've done that before, and it is ALWAYS going to be inappropriate.
 
Old 01-23-2009, 08:05 PM
 
16,110 posts, read 16,156,538 times
Reputation: 7170
Starlite, you really do have a great imagination, but you have indulged in speculation before that has been proven to be false. I suppose that's one of the dowfalls of having such a fruitful imagination.

Do be careful of levelling accusations of criminal behavior.


It's difficult to know on the internet whether anyone is being "square" or not; all we really have is what they're willing to give us.

If this guy has a case hopefully it will be dealt with and no one else will have to go through what he did (but do we even know it's a he?)

Besides writing a book about how to build a house, I wish you would write some fiction because you have a talent for it--especially some of the stories you tell about AK. I really do enjoy your posts about the things you tell people from the lower 48.

Put your gift to some good use.
 
Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
1,437 posts, read 1,889,711 times
Reputation: 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyup View Post
Do I have a legitimate lawsuit?
Possibly but is it worth pursuing? I'm not sure who this labor board is but Alaska Wage & Hour(maybe the same organization), who will advocate on your behalf, can be contacted at 907-269-4909.

You might want to chalk it up to an incredibly bad experience and move on. Hiring an attorney may be a very costly choice as it's your word against hers.

I would also be interested in hearing the other side of this story. Was there a contract?

Last edited by Chilkoot; 01-23-2009 at 09:08 PM..
 
Old 01-23-2009, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Southeast Alaska
2,048 posts, read 2,202,695 times
Reputation: 1092
This thread is a total waste...the poster is a story teller looking to score
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 PM
 
Location: 71.4 N 156.5 W
351 posts, read 430,852 times
Reputation: 153
I took at look at Bettles Lodge site. In particular the Employment page:

Job Lising

I'd be curious about the $300.00 deposit for housing - no mention of it in the OP post. Also was the OP the only person working there at the time?
Hard to believe during busy season. There seems one very quick way to be terminated.

Something doesn't quite sit right. Regardless, sounds like a bad situation for the OP. If there's more fact than fiction he should take it up. If it's just disgruntled then let it go and move on.

Just a thought - if true - imagine if he had been Muslim.
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,271 posts, read 8,065,118 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Starlite, you really do have a great imagination, but you have indulged in speculation before that has been proven to be false. I suppose that's one of the dowfalls of having such a fruitful imagination.

Do be careful of levelling accusations of criminal behavior.


It's difficult to know on the internet whether anyone is being "square" or not; all we really have is what they're willing to give us.

If this guy has a case hopefully it will be dealt with and no one else will have to go through what he did (but do we even know it's a he?)

Besides writing a book about how to build a house, I wish you would write some fiction because you have a talent for it--especially some of the stories you tell about AK. I really do enjoy your posts about the things you tell people from the lower 48.

Put your gift to some good use.
May be a good writer in fiction should I give it a try... What part of Alaska do you think is fiction? Would love to respond to anyone whom can't believe Alaska is what it is, it does sound like a lot of stories for those that have never been here?

By the way, getting back to the thread, another detail he stated he arrived there on the 30 of Nov., he said he left on the tenth day of his stay, that would be December 9th, the temps according the the weather service was about ten degrees above Zero... not the thirty below as claimed... The weather service keeps track of little details like that. Big differance between -30 and +10 above, one doesn't forget the temps like that...

History for Bettles, AK

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 View Current Conditions


History : Weather Underground

We will see...
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,271 posts, read 8,065,118 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Of course, but that doesn't mean you should be fabricating scenarios that include illegal activity and then discussing it as if it were real.

You've done that before, and it is ALWAYS going to be inappropriate.
But it is OK for someone else to fabricate a story with the intentions of hurting a business with no real provable facts... or even challenging it's authenticity...

The term is "Liable"

Your grasp of values really is lacking....
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 PM
 
4,988 posts, read 5,649,647 times
Reputation: 3203
Starlite,

You should be on CSI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top