Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,483 times

Advertisements

For spring break we decided to go to Kodiak, AK. We are coming from the New York City area of Jersey. And i never been anyplace like this (never been anywhere west of PA) so this is why we picked Kodiak. Its goin to be a cultural shock!

Any tips on what to do there.. I know theres whale and otter watching and have plenty of water activities.. but if theres anymore, can you give me tips. (like resturants, hotels, hikes etc)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 PM

179 posts, read 594,887 times
Exchange the cabs for bears and you're practically there!

I used to live in Hoboken, so I got a chuckle from your inquiry.
Have a great vacation, you win 1000 cool points just for considering the trip!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:29 PM

244 posts, read 486,078 times
I cant give yah any Kodiak advice as i've never been there but i think you are very very safe from the the girls gone wild spring break cameras! Honestly you restore my hope in the youth for wanting to go there!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWord View Post
Exchange the cabs for bears and you're practically there!

I used to live in Hoboken, so I got a chuckle from your inquiry.
Have a great vacation, you win 1000 cool points just for considering the trip!
O thats a coinsidence! I was born and raised in Newark, i live in Lodi now (its in bergen county near hackensack) and haha! thanks, i was just tiered of the old jersey shore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
I cant give yah any Kodiak advice as i've never been there but i think you are very very safe from the the girls gone wild spring break cameras! Honestly you restore my hope in the youth for wanting to go there!
HAHA, yea i never bothered with all that trash.. Im young still, i just thought a place like Kodiak is so out there that it's so much more meaningful than "the spring break shore trip". my daughter hates the shore anyway.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:29 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Take some warm clothes, raingear, rubber boots and your camera.

Bit early for the whale watching, but there are Sealions, and otters in the harbor area as well as the bear watching at the end of the roads both toward Afognak Island or Narrow Cape.

You can walk to most of the places there, but there is a couple of car rental complanies there as well as a host of B&B's and Hotels of various star levels.

Enjoy yourself!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:36 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
It's such a remote location they don't even have a WalMart SuperCenter they just have a small regular kind.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:29 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
For spring break we decided to go to Kodiak, AK. We are coming from the New York City area of Jersey. And i never been anyplace like this (never been anywhere west of PA) so this is why we picked Kodiak. Its goin to be a cultural shock!

Any tips on what to do there.. I know theres whale and otter watching and have plenty of water activities.. but if theres anymore, can you give me tips. (like resturants, hotels, hikes etc)

Thanks!
That's great.

Kodiak isn't a tourist destination at that time of year so you should have plenty of real locals to talk to.

Bring some rain gear, warm clothes for under the rain gear, and a sense of adventure. Sounds like you already have a sense of adventure just for choosing that trip rather than a trip to Florida.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:55 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Kodiak Island, Alaska - Official Visitors Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska