Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
quote" I weigh 135 pounds, so it makes sense that I could never live in Alaska."

Well CityData91, that depends on how tall you are. If you're 4' 8" you're probably gonna be fine. If you're 5' 10', you're gonna be cold all the time.

Unless you're a woman, in which case you're gonna be cold all the time anyway if my wife is any kind of example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
And City_Data91 -- I only weigh 5lbs more than you and am 5'6"... the cold doesn't get to me even without "insulation". Guess it depends on how active you are out in the cold and how close to the surface your capillaries are (i.e. how "thick" your blood is).
I am 5'8" and male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I'm a little concerned with your description of the climate you expect, citing Fairbanks as an extreme compared to "down in the Tanana River valley", where you appear to expect a more "temperate" climate. Generally, you've got that backwards!
I'm only going by what the locals and the weather data from the airport says They say it normally avgs 70F in the summer and -20F in the winter... but I'm going to be prepared for extreme cold anyway, just in case! By "temparate" I meant less drastic temperature swings between high and low, not a "temperate climate" that is mild and moderate.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I'm only going by what the locals and the weather data from the airport says They say it normally avgs 70F in the summer and -20F in the winter... but I'm going to be prepared for extreme cold anyway, just in case! By "temparate" I meant less drastic temperature swings between high and low, not a "temperate climate" that is mild and moderate.
I have lived in Fairbanks, and I have lived in Tanana, which I think is not too far from where you are heading. I can tell you that Tanana is colder than Fairbanks in the winter. Take Fairbanks temps and plan on at least that cold if not colder.

If you property is higher up in the hills rather than down in the valley you may experience warmer temperatures during the cold snaps.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Is Tanana colder than Manley? I've followed the weather at Manley and it seems slightly less cold than Fairbanks (though I'm not sure one would notice much those differences, since it's still pretty cold, and there are some very cold days at Manley). My land (and missingall4season's too) is closer to Manley than Tanana...

Old 02-16-2009, 10:00 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
My guess is that Manley itself would be about the same as Tanana. They are both down on the river. Tanana is on the Yukon River just about where the Tanana flows into it. Manley is on the Tanana not too far up river.

When it's really cold the bottom of the valleys are significantly colder than the hills. Cold air settles...its heavier. It's possible that Tanana may be colder than Manley, but I don't think you would notice the difference between -65 and -70.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
That's unusual. I would expect higher elevations to be colder.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
That's unusual. I would expect higher elevations to be colder.
Warm air rises, cold air sinks. Mountains keep the cold in, and the cold air sinks to valleys. Of course go high enough and it does get colder in mountains...

Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
My guess is that Manley itself would be about the same as Tanana. They are both down on the river. Tanana is on the Yukon River just about where the Tanana flows into it. Manley is on the Tanana not too far up river.

When it's really cold the bottom of the valleys are significantly colder than the hills. Cold air settles...its heavier. It's possible that Tanana may be colder than Manley, but I don't think you would notice the difference between -65 and -70.
Well it'll be interesting when I'm there to have a thermometer and see what the temps are. I think there may be some differences between my land and Manley itself but I'll see. I figure on experiencing those -50 or colder temps anyways, really wouldn't bother me. Though I think that between zero and 20 below are the best temps there are. Can't control the weather though so whatever happens, happens, as far as weather goes. Just need to be prepared for it (proper clothing, enough firewood, etc.).

Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM

179 posts, read 594,651 times
Beware those "official temps".
Those things are often off by a long way, as the cold air settles into pockets.
During the most recent cold snap (the New Years event), many folks out towards Two Rivers and Salcha were seeing -65 or worse. Of course, the Airport's "official" temperature didn't get below -50 or so.

The hills are almost always warmer, and there's little wind to stir up the cold.
I live up in the hills north of town, and I typically see 20-25 degree warmer temperatures than in town. I can see a drop of 20 degrees just driving off my hill (onto Chena Hot Springs Rd.). There are significant tradeoffs in convenience living out here, but the temperature inversion is worth it.

Manley is every bit as cold as Fairbanks.
There just aren't as many "witnesses".

In the spirit of my earlier rant in this thread, I picked up a hitch-hiker on Saturday.
I picked up this Goth kid walking along the Steese by Birch Hill. So I asked him where he was headed; "Chatanika". Non-locals look at a map. He may as well said "the Moon." I dropped him off in Fox, a mere 15 miles out of my way...
Why can't hitch-hikers live in town..?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 PM

322 posts, read 902,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
The best way to deal with the cold is...don't get too skinny. You gotta have some insulation on you if you're gonna be happy in Alaska. Yeah, sure, you can wear another layer of sweaters and fleece, but single-digit body fat and cold temps just don't go together well.
That is so true. I have noticed that I am FREEZING all the time unless I gain weight. And I have struggled with my weight most of the time since being in Alaska. Right now, I'm angry at all the weight I put on this winter. Yet, it's always either put on weight or be cold ALL the time! And it wasn't like I was skinny and needed to lose weight - it's that gaining weight, no matter what your starting weight is, makes you feel warm and losing weight, even if it's excess fat you need to lose makes you feel cold. I know LOTS of people who put on significant amounts of weight - I'm talking like 50 lbs when moving here. The stores here have the widest percentage of plus sized clothing of any place I've seen. It is SO hard not to put on weight, ESPECIALLY if you end up getting any sort of seasonal depression (because that will make you crave carbs). When you are wearing multiple layers of clothes and a big parka everyday, it is easy not to notice the pounds creeping up until you go swimsuit and short shopping for your Hawaii vacation. By the same token, if you move to a hot climate and you want NOT to be miserable in the heat, then watch your waistline. I've noticed that a lot of people who complain about the heat a lot are people who have trouble maintaining their weight. The fact of the matter is, putting on pounds makes your body feel warmer and taking them off makes you feel cooler. So yeah, a big bowl of ice cream can make you warmer in Alaska and hotter in Texas, because it adds body fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska