Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,352,469 times

Advertisements

When reading legislation it is important to remember that fewer than 5% of all the bills introduced actually become law. In one two-year Session of Congress there are typically 10,000 or so bills introduced into the House and Senate. Fewer than 500 of those bills actually become Public Law.

If we don't keep this in mind it is liable to make some people become overly concerned about what ultimately proves to be nothing. In the House especially there are all kinds of crazy and wacko bills being introduced, but they rarely, if ever, make it as far as the floor for a vote.

Yes, we need to keep a watchful eye on the legislation being introduced, but wait until it works its way through the various committees and sub-committees before becoming concerned. The vast majority of the time (as what happened to H.R. 45 in the last Session of Congress), it never makes it out of the sub-committees.

So be vigilant, but DO NOT PANIC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 02:42 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,908,363 times
Good advice Glitch! Another point to remember is that many of the bills on the tracker are preliminary drafts which will be edited and revised many many times before they ever get to a point where they could be introduced to the floor... where they ultimately may need to be revised several times more, and might not get adopted anyway. It is possible that the bill you are looking at (and freaking out about) is only the 1st or 5th draft and all the flakey language will be tightened up as time goes on. It's good to keep an eye on it, or to write your representative if you don't see some particularly vague bit of language get cleared up; but ultimately, don't have kittens until the bill gets closer to a real vote.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:59 PM

1,121 posts, read 4,471,827 times
Default utter BS

"Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009" what a load of hogwash. It's so over-reaching, illegal, and unconstitutional that I don't know where to start.

I wish our current president all the best in regards to his getting the nation and it's economy back on it's feet and running smoothly again. However, if he chooses to back and push this kind maniacal gun grab legislation I doubt he'll live to see the mid-term elections given the amount of raw hate and distrust out there that's directed at him. I just hope that when the IED's start going off in DC, they spare the innocents among the civilian population.

It's gonna be a grim, horrible day when we start seeing car bombs and suicide vests used to settle political differences here in the USA, but I have little doubt that that day will come if they start over-reaching on the gun control issue.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,362,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Yep, you're right. A Congressional majority vote is all that is needed to present a bill for Ppresidential approval, with 2/3 majority vote to override said veto. I was getting my stupid state government rules mixed in there! Thanks for correcting me

Correct, but if unchallenged Executive Orders may become accepted as laws (even though they are only policies or regulations) which is beyond the power of the Presidency through the power of precedence and compliance.
Listing of Executive Orders
National Security Presidential Directives [NSPD] George W. Bush Administration

Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,609,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
"Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009" what a load of hogwash. It's so over-reaching, illegal, and unconstitutional that I don't know where to start.

I wish our current president all the best in regards to his getting the nation and it's economy back on it's feet and running smoothly again. However, if he chooses to back and push this kind maniacal gun grab legislation I doubt he'll live to see the mid-term elections given the amount of raw hate and distrust out there that's directed at him. I just hope that when the IED's start going off in DC, they spare the innocents among the civilian population.

It's gonna be a grim, horrible day when we start seeing car bombs and suicide vests used to settle political differences here in the USA, but I have little doubt that that day will come if they start over-reaching on the gun control issue.
Calm down and think rationally. No need to make an effort at aggitating every excitable nut case in the country with meaningless inflamatory words that are untrue.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:27 AM

Default the scary part

You're right Floyd. I do need to calm down about that issue since it's largely beyond my control and it does nothing except get my blood pressure up to rant about it.

The scary part is that compared to some of the "patriot" sites out there, I am an island of serenity and calm by comparison. It's truely frightening how much hate there is out there directed against one man. His election has been like the "perfect storm" for the biggest loudmouths amongst the raving bigot crowd, the 'anti-guvmint' folks and the angriest of the conspiracy-theory types.

I am quite sure that the secret service guys are pulling down some major overtime keeping things safe for him. They're gonna have their work cut out for them as time goes by and the anti-gunners demand their payback.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,609,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
The scary part is that compared to some of the "patriot" sites out there, I am an island of serenity and calm by comparison. It's truely frightening how much hate there is out there directed against one man. His election has been like the "perfect storm" for the biggest loudmouths amongst the raving bigot crowd, the 'anti-guvmint' folks and the angriest of the conspiracy-theory types.
But just because there are so many fools does not mean that the rest of us should pay them any attention, give them any credance, or follow either their methods or their ideology.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 PM

179 posts, read 592,477 times
Alaska is gun-culture personified. If you don't like it, Canada's right next door. So is Russia. I typically hate that argument, but it fits here. We are growing weary of the new American habit of "control the many to comfort the few".

I am also a calm and rational citizen, but I and many others see this as the first of many attempts by "our" government to turn our Rights into privledges. Privledges that can be revoked on a whim.

When someone's wife in Washington, DC has to stand outside with a shotgun and watch over her Chihuahua so the wolves don't take it, maybe their minds will change. Until then, what works there will never work here.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Default absolutely

I absolutely agree.

Local solutions to local problems, and don't try to force-fit big city laws to the rest of the nation.

If the residents of NYC and LA or wherever liberals congregate in their pathetic masses want to unilaterally disarm themselves that's OK by me, as I don't live there and never will. It is worth considering that gun laws only apply to law abiding citizens and not criminals, by definition.

I'd quite willing to help foot the bill to export quite a few of our brown bears to the largest urban areas as well. They eat all the calves around here, we'd have way more moose if a bunch of the biggest brownies went to live in central park or the beaches of Malibu.

Despite the fact that we live right downtown and maybe a half mile from work, my wife doesn't feel safe walking to work in the spring and late fall when the bears hang around in town. They get into everything that smells even remotely edible and tear it up. Trash is a given, but they also eat empty fish totes, empty bait buckets, empty crab pots, empty smokers, BBQ grills, you name it. It's hard to get too comfortable and complacent when you see footprints around your house the size of dinner plates. Some of these things are HUGE, and for some reason they don't seem too impressed when your only defense is to call 911 on your cell phone.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:13 PM

179 posts, read 592,477 times
There hasn't been a big Brown Bear in California in nearly 100 years.
It's been even longer since wolves (the 4-legged variety) prowled Washington DC.
They have no frame of reference.

I'd be absolutely devastated if a big Grizzly ate my BBQ grill. I've spent years developing just the right amount of flavoring crud on the grill.
He'd have to get past the Chihuahua first though. Actually the chichi's RIP, so the grill's defensless this spring...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska