U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-10-2008, 02:31 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,904,471 times
Cougars? there are no cougars in Alaska.

Last edited by aurorawatcher; 11-10-2008 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 02:42 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,751,743 times
Good gawd...by all means, bring a leash.

Comparing wild bruin with Gentle Ben??? I will not touch that one.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:47 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,090,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstein View Post
But back to the bears, I use to watch "Gentle Ben" as a kid, c'mon, they don't like being walked on a leash too? Can you scratch their bellys and will they atleast play fetch?
Crap, they don't sound like they're very good pets I gather.... ?
Probably would poop in the cabin too, that would be a big mess. Perhaps I should get a cat, like a cougar instead?
play tag with a grizzly. Guess who's "it"?

And yes there are cougars in some areas of Alaska, just not as much there as there are further south.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Mountain Lions in Alaska

Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 11,983 times
Good glad to hear there are some cougars there...I want to do this whole Alaska thing right you know. Now with that said, are there any local pet shops where I can buy a cub (if that's what you call a baby cougar?)...Or am I forced to catch my own from a den perhaps? Would I need gloves to do this?

Damn, I really wanted a pet bear too!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:10 PM

6,417 posts, read 7,246,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstein View Post
Good glad to hear there are some cougars there...I want to do this whole Alaska thing right you know. Now with that said, are there any local pet shops where I can buy a cub (if that's what you call a baby cougar?)...Or am I forced to catch my own from a den perhaps? Would I need gloves to do this?

Damn, I really wanted a pet bear too!
you are joking, right?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
you are joking, right?
Remind you of somebody?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:18 PM

6,417 posts, read 7,246,849 times
hmm, sure does!

Brings penguins to mind

Old 11-10-2008, 03:19 PM

You got it.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,370,236 times
An old thread resurrected like Lazarus.

I REALLY don't want to get into this right now.

Bears might be cute, but they ain't "cuddly". Snarky would be a definition on a real good day, as long as you're not between them and food, a sow and cubs, or Smokey didn't get out of the wrong side of the den this morning.

Exotic pets are extraordinarily controlled up here, as we don't want to introduce an invasive species and knock the current ecosystem for a loop. Northern Pike are bad enough - ask any fisherman.

Land is owned - by the state, the federal government, and the native corporations. Some is owned by the incorporated township or city which surrounds it. Homesteading is a thing of the past.

Troll or not, this sort of thing is what causes us to have to answer these questions seriously in order that the naive and the gullible don't get taken in. The Discovery Channel just had a little special on bears last night, which is probably what inspired this budding comedian to write. Gentle Ben and Smokey the bear aside, bears are unpredictable. Gentle Ben attacked his trainer twice on the set. When we are young, we want pets like a hawk or a wolf - maybe a bear cub. Learning the inadequacies of a human dealing with a non-domesticated animal, generally puts such child dreams into the realm of fantasy unfulfilled. Even bruins raised in captivity from new born have turned in their owners. Siegfried and Roy worked with the same large cuddly cats for years, yet they know that a decade's familiarity can be erased in a wild moment.

My advice: You want a pet? Get a nice Lab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska