U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,757,961 times
Was in Anderson today, took a few photos of two of the four houses there in the giveaway land deal. They are foreclosing on about 18 of the 26 some odd lots that they gave away.

One of the houses if for sale, the roads are pretty wide though the subdivision which is south of the main town and is more than likely an attempt to make the town look better in the longer run. The main town has streets, but they are very narrow, and there is a lot of abandon houses there that are just falling apart. If they ever closed Clear AFB, the place would just dry up and go away...

One guy is building a "Bed and Breakfast" at the very end of the road, looks like it will be a really nice place when it is done, but there is nothing there to draw people there. The town is about ten miles back off the main Parks Hwy, and other than the Anderson Blue Grass Festival, the other 362 days of the year, it is pretty dead.... They mean well, and are trying, but nothing there is able to draw people like Denali National Park does, or even just a restaurant along the Parks highway has more drawing appeal....
Attached Thumbnails
Free Land in Anderson, Alaska-dsc01003.jpg   Free Land in Anderson, Alaska-dsc01002.jpg   Free Land in Anderson, Alaska-dsc01006.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:24 AM

5,964 posts, read 6,992,151 times
Update on the free land give-away. Apparently was a flop.

Anderson land giveaway to raise population mostly fails: Interior | adn.com

Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 13,577 times
I was actually one of the first 26 people who "won" free land in Anderson.
(No, I won't give you any personally identifiable information.)

In March 2007, I had every intention of fulfilling the terms of the contract.
I was not planning on moving to Anderson but I was planning on building a "summer house" there and 1.3 acres of free land was quite an incentive.
I paid my $500 deposit and filled out a bunch of paperwork.
But that was in March 2007.

Unless you have been living in a cave for the past few years, it should be obvious by now that the housing market is in chaos. And foreclosures are WAY up across the country.
I just looked at the latest statistics for Anderson, Alaska and I simply don't understand how their housing prices can be so high...
Anderson Real Estate and Homes for Sale - [domain blocked due to spam]
These are prices for a "good" market, not a remote village in the Alaskan interior.
Even $12,000 for a lot seems high.

There is NOTHING in Anderson, which I suppose is part of the appeal.
The nearest food and gas is TWENTY miles away and Fairbanks is 75 miles away.
I understand those distances might be considered "close" in Alaska but God help you if you have car problems or an emergency.
More importantly, there are simply NO JOBS. If Anderson expects to pull HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars for housing, they should be doing more to boost employment.

Yes, I fully realize Anderson is a town of only 300 residents so I didn't expect all the luxuries of modern city living. But I also didn't expect to become a "mountain man" and have to basically live off the land.
If you are already financially independent (or if you don't mind taking any menial job just to eat), the Anderson land might have been a good investment.
But if you actually plan on "making a living", Anderson is simply an unrealistic option.

Yes, I would still love to have the Anderson property -- who wouldn't want 1.3 acres of land in the beautiful Alaskan wilderness? But I have no plans to build any housing at this point and I refuse to pay "market" prices for the land just to avoid foreclosure, especially if such "market" prices are not accurate for Anderson, Alaska.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM

783 posts, read 801,509 times
I would be very interested in laying down roots in a beautiful place like that, especially if I could get free wooded land to build my house on. But, how would I ever find employment? That's the problem with that sort of area. Simply giving away land for wealthy people to build vacation homes isn't going to produce long term jobs. They need to incentivise business growth, not stimulate second home building.

In response to the poster above me- land prices are too high most everywhere in the United States, and the world for that matter. We can thank poor monetary policy, greedy bankers and individuals, and poor regulatory practices for that. What land I do see for sale in my area and abroad remains priced at absurd levels, and oftentimes just disappears into foreclosure after months of sitting with no offers. It seems the only people listing land are those who paid WAY too much, and who are looking for a greater fool to unload it onto. Send me back in time when an honest, hard working guy could actually afford his own little slice of heaven without being up to his eyeballs in debt. F*** bankers.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,757,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_random_guy_209928 View Post
I was actually one of the first 26 people who "won" free land in Anderson.
(No, I won't give you any personally identifiable information.)

In March 2007, I had every intention of fulfilling the terms of the contract.
I was not planning on moving to Anderson but I was planning on building a "summer house" there and 1.3 acres of free land was quite an incentive.
I paid my $500 deposit and filled out a bunch of paperwork.
But that was in March 2007.

Unless you have been living in a cave for the past few years, it should be obvious by now that the housing market is in chaos. And foreclosures are WAY up across the country.
I just looked at the latest statistics for Anderson, Alaska and I simply don't understand how their housing prices can be so high...
Anderson Real Estate and Homes for Sale - [domain blocked due to spam]
These are prices for a "good" market, not a remote village in the Alaskan interior.
Even $12,000 for a lot seems high.

There is NOTHING in Anderson, which I suppose is part of the appeal.
The nearest food and gas is TWENTY miles away and Fairbanks is 75 miles away.
I understand those distances might be considered "close" in Alaska but God help you if you have car problems or an emergency.
More importantly, there are simply NO JOBS. If Anderson expects to pull HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars for housing, they should be doing more to boost employment.

Yes, I fully realize Anderson is a town of only 300 residents so I didn't expect all the luxuries of modern city living. But I also didn't expect to become a "mountain man" and have to basically live off the land.
If you are already financially independent (or if you don't mind taking any menial job just to eat), the Anderson land might have been a good investment.
But if you actually plan on "making a living", Anderson is simply an unrealistic option.

Yes, I would still love to have the Anderson property -- who wouldn't want 1.3 acres of land in the beautiful Alaskan wilderness? But I have no plans to build any housing at this point and I refuse to pay "market" prices for the land just to avoid foreclosure, especially if such "market" prices are not accurate for Anderson, Alaska.
The only reason Anderson exisits is because of Clear AFB being built at Clear in the 1950's a few miles away. Almost all of the residence work at or retired from Clear AFB, Teach at the School, or Drive everyday to Fairbanks, the rest are pretty much on some kind of public assistance.

The word "Free" was a term that most that filed on the land didn't grasp.... Nothing is "Free"....

You can though, buy a "Fixer Upper" house there for less than a used pickup... and that isn't saying much!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,138,546 times
NomadicBear.....add dirtbag Realtors to that list.

They are a huge contributor to properties being listed at way inflated values...they only have their commissions in mind

Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 AM

128 posts, read 158,733 times
I think all the rules and restrictions they put on it (such as minimum house size) were one reason it was doomed to failure. Not allowing small cabins was a bad idea.

[+] Rate this post positively

Read more: Free Land in Anderson, Alaska

Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 AM

128 posts, read 158,733 times
I think all the rules and restrictions they put on it (such as minimum house size) were one reason it was doomed to failure. Not allowing small cabins was a bad idea.

I agree!!!!!!!!!!Small is so much easier to heat.
[+] Rate this post positively

Read more: Free Land in Anderson, Alaska

Old 05-27-2010, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 14,977 times
Default Free Land

I am very interested! If you still have the land could you please email me at [email]amandakoher83@yahoo.com[/email]? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akvolffemt View Post
This is in my town, and I am on the city council here...if anyone is interested or needs more info, you can contact me if you want.

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259264,00.html]Alaska Town Giving Away Free Land - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com[/url]

Alaska Town Giving Away Free Land
Friday , March 16, 2007

ADVERTISEMENTANCHORAGE, Alaska

Anderson, a little town in Alaska's interior, has no gas station, no grocery store and no traffic lights, but it does have plenty of woodsy land and it's free to anyone willing to put down roots in the often-frozen ground.Moderator cut: copyright

Old 05-27-2010, 02:26 PM

21,009 posts, read 22,145,712 times
They're still giving it out. Get yourself a one way ticket and you'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska