Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 25,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
The people that got the "Free" land were clueless of what they were gettng into, and all but three or four lost their shorts on the deal, and those remaining are shakey.
I'm not sure why Starlite9 feels like those remaining are shakey... I am one of the four that has built a house, and we aren't shakey at all. Sure, one guy got hosed by the company that put up his manufactured home, but that wasn't his fault. The rest of us that have actually put up buildings have built to last and as far as I know, no one plans on leaving any time soon. We've built a beautiful house, much larger than the 1,000 square foot requirement and have already established roots in this great community. I'll be the first to admit it isn't for everyone, but my family loves it. Part of its charm is the fact that it IS 75 miles from Fairbanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I'm glad that it worked out well for you and a few others....but I don't think that that negates the fact that it wasn't the brightest of ideas and that it hasn't worked out as well for most of those who got involved. The economy in Anderson is not one that can sustain an influx of families who need to depend on a local job market, simple as that.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:56 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm glad that it worked out well for you and a few others....but I don't think that that negates the fact that it wasn't the brightest of ideas and that it hasn't worked out as well for most of those who got involved. The economy in Anderson is not one that can sustain an influx of families who need to depend on a local job market, simple as that.
You are right about this, Met.

I wonder what kind of work can be found in Anderson?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:22 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I think one of the mistakes was making small lots with restrictions (house size...) more like you'd find where there's suburban sprawl everywhere. Well, that and not trying to attract something to employ people.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,803 times
Just curious, is this still on? As in, is there still free land available?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:49 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Had you read the thread you would know...that no...it's not still on.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy454 View Post
I'm not sure why Starlite9 feels like those remaining are shakey... I am one of the four that has built a house, and we aren't shakey at all. Sure, one guy got hosed by the company that put up his manufactured home, but that wasn't his fault. The rest of us that have actually put up buildings have built to last and as far as I know, no one plans on leaving any time soon. We've built a beautiful house, much larger than the 1,000 square foot requirement and have already established roots in this great community. I'll be the first to admit it isn't for everyone, but my family loves it. Part of its charm is the fact that it IS 75 miles from Fairbanks.
Then you did good, and if that was your house I saw, it looks great, that is about a five or ten percent success rate then and now the city has to do all sorts of title issues to get the "Lost" properties back has turned it into a money loser for both the city and those that did invest and lost the properties. Basically the program was an overall failure with a few exceptions as yourself.

Hope you do well there, I rather like the area myself....

Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 AM

8 posts, read 18,687 times
Hi,
I know they aren't giving away land in Anderson anymore but I was wondering if there might be an Anderson local on here who could point me in the direction of some private land owners in the area with land or a cabin for sale for a fair price...
I work from home, so as long as I have dial-up speed connectivity I'm good... the further from big cities the better. ... I'm open to other areas of Alaska as well, as long as they meet those two requirements (remote, but still has some level of connectivity)

You can email me at jasonpjones1@yahoo.com.

thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
Hi,
I know they aren't giving away land in Anderson anymore but I was wondering if there might be an Anderson local on here who could point me in the direction of some private land owners in the area with land or a cabin for sale for a fair price...
I work from home, so as long as I have dial-up speed connectivity I'm good... the further from big cities the better. ... I'm open to other areas of Alaska as well, as long as they meet those two requirements (remote, but still has some level of connectivity)

You can email me at jasonpjones1@yahoo.com.

thanks in advance.
Well I have a remote cabin for sale if you want one, will email you some details.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM

7 posts, read 25,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Then you did good, and if that was your house I saw, it looks great, that is about a five or ten percent success rate then and now the city has to do all sorts of title issues to get the "Lost" properties back has turned it into a money loser for both the city and those that did invest and lost the properties. Basically the program was an overall failure with a few exceptions as yourself.

Hope you do well there, I rather like the area myself....
Ours is the last house on the left, you didn't post any pictures of it (it's the most secluded of the houses that got built). Also... Probably didn't loose money like you think. At the time of the giveaway, GVEA was giving rebates of 4K for all those who put in power poles and meters in. Part of the deal was all rebates went to the city and more poles and meters went in than houses went up--my guess would be around six, plus all of those who defaulted lost their $500 which went towards the legal fees of reclaiming titles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska