U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:24 PM

6 posts, read 23,655 times

Advertisements

I like my drive to town for groceries, you cannot beat the scenery. Anderson is really quiet, you can sit outside with your coffee in the morning (summer) and all you can hear are birds singing. Good cranberries and blueberries, excellent neighbors. My friends and I with the Anderson Lions Club run the Anderson Bluegrass Festival, the last weekend in July, this is our 20th festival coming up. It's a family friendly town, you can let your kids go out by themselves and not really worry about bad guys. We kinda police ourselves, keep an eye on each other, and lot's of us volunteer for stuff. I am also an EMTII with the vollie Fire Dept. I have a great job at Clear AFS (contractor) so does my hubby. But until the war is over there will be no new jobs at the base. Sorry if I was harsh, but I am passionate about my community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 06:37 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,532,829 times
I've never been to Anderson. I might just take the time to come up and see the BG Festival!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:33 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,327,362 times
Default Update posted on Anderson's website

Sold Out No longer taking applications

SOLD OUT!!!!!!!!

We had 54 individuals standing in line through -20 degress temperatures. Twenty six of these diehards have been selected to receive a lot based upon the first come, first served criteria. We received 7 applications in the mail.

We are no longer accepting applications. If we decide to do something like this in the future, it will be posted on our website and at that time new applications will be required.

We want to thank everyone for wanting to invest in our community.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,327,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Southwood View Post
Rance, I didn't say it was bad! I live here because I love it just the way it is! I am just saying that it is not for everyone, people should know what it's like here. A few newcomers are okay, but it would have been okay with me if they let the locals have the first pick. (our old city lots are only a 1/4 acre, the new ones are and 1.3)

Folks down south may not know what they are getting into, interior Alaska is a harsh place to live. Don't get me wrong, in my opinion this is the best town in Alaska, it's been my home for 42 years!
Karen,

I also think it's a shame that the lots weren't offered to locals first. I would have also been very disappointed.

SL

Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 PM

366 posts, read 253,536 times
So...how many locals actually lost out on it?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 PM

2,896 posts, read 5,910,709 times
I would do this in a heartbeat but alas I'm stuck with a couple of very unadventurous city gals (wife and 14 yo daughter). I will keep an eye on this opportunity and perhaps at least change the wife's mind about living in Alaska once the little one goes on her merry way.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,891,313 times
Well, as I stated earlier, the advantages and disadvantages are apparent by the location alone. Anyone with a lick of common sense knows that the temps are usually -20 and below in winter. They should remember from their grammar school geography that the sun shines a few hours a day in that same winter.

I am over 50 and can tell you that one of my memories from that geography book was a photo of the northern lights, and another photo of a little girl seated next to a cabbage bigger than she was.

My father memorized and recited Robert Service poetry (and made us memorize poetry too, dammit!). "The Cremation of Sam McGee" comes to mind.

These and other things made me move to Alaska, and I've never been sorry.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:33 AM

16 posts, read 139,097 times
Quote:
but I am passionate about my community.
Hey Karen, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE could dispute that

By the way, I did get a lot jointly with my brother that you met before.

41-9

Old 03-20-2007, 11:43 AM

6 posts, read 23,655 times
Thanks Jake, good luck with your land. I didn't see you guys in the line. So that makes 3 locals who got land (out of 26 lots) and 5 families I know that didn't. Oh well. I didn't really want a mortgage anyway. Hey, who knows how many people will acutally get a house built within the federal housing guidelines in two years. (that is part of the deal). Maybe I can get one then.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:39 PM

16 posts, read 139,097 times
Quote:
Thanks Jake, good luck with your land. I didn't see you guys in the line. So that makes 3 locals who got land (out of 26 lots) and 5 families I know that didn't. Oh well. I didn't really want a mortgage anyway. Hey, who knows how many people will acutally get a house built within the federal housing guidelines in two years. (that is part of the deal). Maybe I can get one then.
Thanks....I saw you drive by a couple times and was hoping you would stop (on Sunday). I had to work Sunday night so I wasn't there when you came out...anyways, I'll bet that a number of those people won't build in time, but thats just my personal opinion..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or