Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,919,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL551 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Anchorage have a fair amount of humidity??
Yes. It's located by the ocean. But it doesn't get too hot like it does in Fairbanks. Other than that, anybody who comes to Alaska to be indoors during the winter will go crazy sooner than later In Alaska it's imperative to go outside and participate in outdoors activities, from skiing to walking.

Those who plan to come to Alaska should read about a condition called SAD, specially if planning to stay indoors during the winter months. It will open your eyes. We call it "Cabin Fever" up here, and it happens to a lot of people.
http://www.ncpamd.com/seasonal.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 PM

71 posts, read 261,356 times
Good info. They play a commercial on the radio here in Maryland looking for people that suffer from this disorder. I beleive that it must be from the same doctors that had written that information. They are also from Maryland. They want people that feel sad or blue and in extreme cases borderline suicidal with the cause being the change of seasons.

The humidity up there cant be as bad as down here. 95 degrees and 90% humidity for a month will drive anyone crazy. When you go outside you feel as if you are wearing a heavy hot and damp towel over your head while running the mile. I like to be comfortable. I have no problem with the cold at all. You can always put more clothes on but you can only take so many off!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,758,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs C View Post
Good info. They play a commercial on the radio here in Maryland looking for people that suffer from this disorder. I beleive that it must be from the same doctors that had written that information. They are also from Maryland. They want people that feel sad or blue and in extreme cases borderline suicidal with the cause being the change of seasons.

The humidity up there cant be as bad as down here. 95 degrees and 90% humidity for a month will drive anyone crazy. When you go outside you feel as if you are wearing a heavy hot and damp towel over your head while running the mile. I like to be comfortable. I have no problem with the cold at all. You can always put more clothes on but you can only take so many off!
Not so sure about the clothes thing but know the humidity and like you have to plug your nose as go out to not drown or fry the lungs...

Old 08-31-2009, 02:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,348,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs C View Post

The humidity is not that bad. Salt water does not evaporate as quickly as freshwater, so the closer you are to the coast, the less humid you will be. Also the temperatures near the coast never get that warm. It is a very rare day when the temperature reaches 80°F in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley or anywhere on the Kenai Peninsula. Fairbanks, and other Interior locations, do experience much warmer weather in the summer (into the 90°Fs at times) with high humidity.

There are only three things you need to do in order to stave off Seasonal Affective Disorder:
  • Stay Active - Get outside, find a couple of outdoor activities that you enjoy. Even just taking the dog(s) for a walk each day can make a difference.
  • Maintain a Regular Sleep Schedule - Go to bed in the evenings and get up in the mornings at the same time every day. Try not to vary your sleeping schedule too much.
  • Additional Winter Lights - Adding a few extra lights around the house during the winter will help keep you alert and active. Just 30 minutes a day in a very well lit room will have a noticeable effect on your demeanor.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM

26,488 posts, read 36,346,941 times
There's something else you can do as well to possibly circumvent SAD. There is a biological reason why salmon has a good amount of vitamin D in it. Eating it often can help; if you just don't like it, at least try it fresh...some people who say they don't like fish have never had fresh salmon--if you still don't like it, you can buy wild sockeye-oil pills. They are a bit more expensive than the "foil oil" stuff you see in the stores, but that's for good reason. Generic salmon oil is more often than not from farmed salmon, which is bad for your health.

Don't let anyone scare you about fish having mercury in it...Alaska wild salmon has next to none.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 PM

46 posts, read 78,996 times
[quote=Glitch;10542464]There are only three things you need to do in order to stave off Seasonal Affective Disorder:
  • Stay Active - Get outside, find a couple of outdoor activities that you enjoy. Even just taking the dog(s) for a walk each day can make a difference.
  • Maintain a Regular Sleep Schedule - Go to bed in the evenings and get up in the mornings at the same time every day. Try not to vary your sleeping schedule too much.
  • Additional Winter Lights - Adding a few extra lights around the house during the winter will help keep you alert and active. Just 30 minutes a day in a very well lit room will have a noticeable effect on your demeanor.
Do you use UV lights?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 PM

5 posts, read 9,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There's something else you can do as well to possibly circumvent SAD. There is a biological reason why salmon has a good amount of vitamin D in it. Eating it often can help; if you just don't like it, at least try it fresh...some people who say they don't like fish have never had fresh salmon--if you still don't like it, you can buy wild sockeye-oil pills. They are a bit more expensive than the "foil oil" stuff you see in the stores, but that's for good reason. Generic salmon oil is more often than not from farmed salmon, which is bad for your health.

Don't let anyone scare you about fish having mercury in it...Alaska wild salmon has next to none.

Salmon is also one of the very best natural sources of Omega-3 essential oils. There is a link between depression/mood disorders and a diet lacking Omega-3's. Eating a diet rich in local fare is always good for your health, but in Alaska it is like taking advantage of nature's anti-depressants!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM

26,488 posts, read 36,346,941 times
Why in the hell did I type "foil oil" yesterday? I meant "fish oil".

Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,232,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why in the hell did I type "foil oil" yesterday? I meant "fish oil".

I wish you would have noticed this yesterday. I wasted 2 hours last night squeezing a roll of Reynold's Wrap, and not one friggen drop! So much for trying to be healthy...

Old 09-01-2009, 11:20 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,348,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenette View Post
Do you use UV lights?
No. It is the amount of lumens that are more important than the type of light. Full spectrum or grow lights would be the best, but they are expensive. Any source of additional light will suffice.

UV light is actually harmful. UVA and UVB light have been known to cause skin cancer. Tanning beds typically use UVB light, and therefore should be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska