Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,202,374 times

Advertisements

Floyd, it is quite obvious to me and I'm sure others that you must have had some kind of a bad run in with a Mal...maybe one bit you in the bum....who knows. They are wonderful judges of character and maybe the one (or many) you ran in to just didn't like you.

I would ask if you have ever owned one, but not too sure I would even believe your answer. As I've stated before I own/breed Giant Alaskan Malamutes and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them and their persoanlly observed abilities.

The OP simply asked our "opinions" as to what we felt her options could be as far as dogs. It appears you are trying to pick a fight through a battle of wits and I'm not going to go to war with an unarmed person, when it is simply your opinion, which you are entitled to. Don't make it a personal vendetta against the Mal you wronged you.

So as I said before...we can agree to disagree, but a little education never hurt anyone.

Moving on.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
My giant mal (who someone stole in WY), was good for an early-detection warning if he didn't know them or it...deer would come in the yard, wild turkeys, other dogs, he didn't care...strange car, people he would bark...the dog was a gentle giant and would belly up for just about anyone and try to get in their vehicle. My female at the time was very protective and bark at whatever moved, but if loose would take off after a deer and not come back for hours. My cockers both had incidents with moose since we moved in here and could have easily been taken out by the moose, the dogs were just protecting their territory, but were hell bent on chasing the moose off.... This German shepherd we got just a little over a week ago might be another story. At the post office last week a woman got too close to the car and she was fur and teeth at the window. She barks at very little for the fun of it, barked at the neighbors when we first had her, but as soon as I tell her enough she stops and comes in, but no longer barks at them as they are in their yard. He was cutting through to come over here and when he crossed a new threshhold space-wise, she let loose until she was told enough. She will not be allowed loose for a long time as to make sure she is trained to return when called no matter what, but if out now even to go to the car or truck has a leash on. I want 'early detection' with a dog that listens, as I do not want to sacrifice a dog just because there is a bear or moose nearby.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:22 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,202,374 times
It all depends on how they are raised from the very beginning. We didn't let people around our dogs when they were younger and our Mal currently greets everyone (unless she knows them) at the door with a nice growl and stare. She will not let someone pet her unless she trust them or we say its ok. She also puts herself between others and our kids or us. Our other Mals...forget it, they will not let anyone but us and the kids near them. All of them bark at animals in the yard unless its a moose that has stopped by on a regualr basis. If its a new one they let us know.
Any dog has certain capabilities...but again it is all in how they are trained from the beginning... we purposely do not socialize ours but so well. We also don't let people we don't know feed them, because any stranger could poison them then, so they won't eat from anyone they don't know.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:26 PM

273 posts, read 583,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaF8 View Post
I doubt my Aussie would do much besides run like heck (like the rest of us) away from a bear or moose, & so I'm wondering what y'all think / recommend.
PLEASE never, never never run from a bear. They're fast. If you run, they will chase you, and because you ran, they will hurt you. It signals to them that you are prey.
They will be teaching your kids bear lessons (what to do if you come upon a bear) in their school---they do in most Alaskan schools. But in the meantime, please google the subject.
Rance is right: don't worry about going out walking. Just make lots of noise--talk loudly to each other. And learn your bear facts.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:45 PM

88 posts, read 206,235 times
Dear Wrennie & Others...
I wanted to let you know that I was just "joshing" when saying we'd try to outrun a bear! Trying to point out that my Aussie would probably be just as scared & would take off outta dodge instead of standing his ground. ((Might surprise me, but don't EVER want to find out!!))
My kids are homeschooled, but both my husband & 12 yo son went to a briefing held on base about the wildlife. I will be volunteering at that office, so I'll be sure to learn all they have to offer.
I'm seriously studying the next dog we'll get. I'm leaning more toward a Great Pyrenees or a cross of one. I have always wanted a Malamute, but don't the first thing about them. And to be honest, after reading repeatedly (sorry DreamChaser8) that they are dog aggressive AND the fact they are SO expensive, I doubt I'll ever get the chance to own one!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
Momma, you don't want to lose your dog just because of a bear if you don't have to, especially a dog that has no idea what a bear is. I don't worry about moose this time of year, as Rance said you see them (unless walking in the dark?). As he said also, the time to be more leery is in early summer when they drop their calves, but if no where to go past her, turn around and go the other way. I haven't figured out the bear issue either short of a gun going with, but what a pain. We just stay on the road, which is tree'd on both sides, but keep an eye out and have the dogs on a leash. There is no way to out 'run' a bear. We saw a few on the way here through Canada that were running and at first glance I thought a dog or something, but no they can clip at a good pace.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:59 PM

That's great to hear...you had me a little worried, there!
I have a great pyranees---he's an absolutely awesome watchdog, extremely protective. Pyranees have the happiest dispositions. We've never come upon a bear while we've been out together, I hope we never do.
He's great on the boat, though, and loves to fly.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 AM

Wrennie, where on earth did you GET your Pyr? I haven't been able to find one while up here!
My friend who has my 2 miniature horses just had to put her female Pyr down due to cancer. Just last week. It was that Pyr that made me fall in love with the breed & it's heartbreaking!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:16 AM

From a woman here in SE, four years ago. If you want, I can find out if she's going to have any more litters and dm her info to you.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, Wrennie...but what is "SE?"
And yes...I'd really appreciate if you'd check with your breeder friend!
Thank you SO much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska