U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-20-2007, 09:36 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,143 posts, read 2,911,419 times
Smile Weather Question? Seasons?highs & Lows???

Hello everyone!
The city data is the first forum I have ever participated in(and I have loved it so far ) and this is my first post in the ALASKA section.
So I apologize in advance if this is not the right area to ask the following:

I have heard different things about your temperatures.
And I was wondering what are your summers, fall, winter, spring like?
Are they distinct from each other? Also, is it true that the sun shines 6 months out of the year, and its dark the other 6 months???

Thanks you so much for your response and anything else you can contribute.
Have a great day!

COUNTRYLV22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-20-2007, 09:43 PM

14,633 posts, read 23,045,501 times
The state is so big there are extreme weather differences from one end to the other as well as side to side. Looks like we are in for some snow this next day or 2 for southcentral and southeast:

Yes the summer sun stays up longer...and in the Arctic (top of the state) you get 24 hours of sun. In the winter yes we get a few months with very little light on the horizon, for an hour or two. Southcentral area gets lot's of fall colors in Sept. Leaves will be out in May (I hope).

Unread 03-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
TO RANCE:

Hello!
Thank you so much for your response & the information, I guess I have to narrow down the area, where I might want to go , to get a better idea.
I would love to be able to have a garden for some part of the year, and I love the snow as well. I guess I want a little bit of everything. Ha Ha Ha!
By the way, I have seen your pictures, and they are amazing! They are breathtaking! Thank you for sharing them!!
Countrylv22

Unread 03-20-2007, 11:15 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,052,754 times
The SE portion of the state (sometimes called the panhandle) is predominantly rain forest, with summer highs in the 60's and 70's, with the occasional day in the 80's. Southcentral has a much more diverse climate due to size and interior distance from the coast. The ocean mitigates all temps, highs in the summer and lows in the winter. This holds true in all areas of Alaska. In the Southcentral, you have the Kenai Peninsula, Kodiak Island, the Mat-Su Valley, Prince William Sound and the Anchorage bowl. Temps can vary wildly on any given day.

The Southwest area includes the Alaska Peninsula, Bristol Bay, and Norton Sound. As large as the area is, temps are normally inside a 10-20 degree range through much of the area, except for some smaller interior villages.

The Aleutian-Pribilof Islands are the birthplace of the winds, and are the parents of all weather crossing North America from west to east. High winds, and stormy weather are the norm. Generally not much colder than 10-15 degrees for normal lows in winter, averaging about 30-35 normal daytime September to April/May.

Interior Alaska has the highest highs (can get up to low 90's) and the lowest low temps in winter (down to -60 on very cold days).

North Slope (Barrow/Prudhoe Bay) may get up to 50 in summer and averages -20 to -30 in the winter.

None of these areas are small. The Aleutians extend for 1500 miles to the Alaska Peninsula. The smallest named area, Southeast is about 300 to 400 miles in length, N to S.

The Interior can be designated as about 700 miles across, and 400 miles N to S, depending on the description.

Weather prediction is not an easy task here.

Gardening can be outstanding in Southcentral. World class veggies grown here. Anchorage plants and hangs planters full of flowers for the summer.

Weather in Alaska varies so widely and wildly, generalizations seldom apply.

Wish I could say more.

Unread 03-21-2007, 12:41 AM

You summed it up rather nicely!

Unread 03-21-2007, 09:11 PM

To JavaPhil:

Hello there!
Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it!
You mentioned that gardening in Southcentral is outstanding! That is good to hear! What type of veggies and fruits can you think of grow in the Southcentral area?
If I move there I would like to be as self sufficient as possible, not have to depend too much on waiting for things to arrive from other areas. Its also a health concern! If you are able to grow your own, you know what went into it!
Anyway, thank you very much!

COUNTRYLV22

Unread 03-21-2007, 09:14 PM

TO RANCE:

Hello!
You mentioned that the leaves are coming in MAY, is that the approximate time frame for Spring, for your area? How long is your Summer, from what month until what?

Thank you!!
COUNTRYLV22

Unread 03-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Hopefully I can till the old garden by or around June first. Then stuff will grow it's normal time frame or up until freezing, which can occur mid to end of Sept I guess. And green houses are big in my area, which gives you a head start and a later season.

Unread 03-21-2007, 11:14 PM

80 posts, read 187,548 times
Morning Update......Snow record broken

Juneau, Alaska

With 194.6 inches, the winter of 2006/07 is now the snowiest winter in Juneau records, beating the 1964/65 winter season of 194.3 inches.

16.2 feet of snow in Juneau this winter.....those lucky guys

I guess Global Warming didn't make it to Juneau as yet...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/alaskan/deepsnow.jpg (broken link)

Unread 03-22-2007, 01:13 AM

16 feet? Looks like most of it may have melted already. I'd like to see another foot around the house...but then I'd like to get the garden started asap too. Decisions decisions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska