Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times

Advertisements

From Wikipedia:

Treason

Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as: "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aided or involved by such an endeavour.

At times, the term "traitor" has been levelled as a political epithet, regardless of any verifiable treasonable action. In a civil war or insurrection, the winners may deem the losers to be traitors. Likewise the term "traitor" is used in heated political discussion – typically as a slur against political dissidents, or against officials in power who are perceived as failing to act in the best interest of their constituents. In certain cases, as with the German Dolchstoßlegende, the accusation of treason towards a large group of people can be a unifying political message.

I know, Wikipedia is not the best source.

JavaPhil's person falls under the legal definition and notreesininceland would be more of the political definition. Prosecuting mal's person should have been relatively easy, but politics came into play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
If more Americans had had the courage and the moral fiber that Jane Fonda displayed it is fact that thousands of dead and wounded Americans would not have been, and probably millions of Vietnamese.

The rest of us were shamed. (And clearly many still are.)

Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,131 times
Mal, you misunderstand. I did not wish to make light of your contempt for Jane Fonda. What I was driving home is this: in the larger scheme of things she was very minor. I provided you a recent act of treason that, in my view, should exercise you more than flogging the old Fonda horse.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Mal, you misunderstand. I did not wish to make light of your contempt for Jane Fonda. What I was driving home is this: in the larger scheme of things she was very minor. I provided you a recent act of treason that, in my view, should exercise you more than flogging the old Fonda horse.
However... technically what Fonda did probably was treason, or at a minimum that can be argued reasonably; while what Bush did technically is not, simply because we elected him to lead. You of course are not talking about what is practical in reality.

Instead you have the audacity to try injecting morality into an argument with people who espouse an ideology to the exclusion of all else.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
However... technically what Fonda did probably was treason, or at a minimum that can be argued reasonably; while what Bush did technically is not, simply because we elected him to lead. You of course are not talking about what is practical in reality.

Instead you have the audacity to try injecting morality into an argument with people who espouse an ideology to the exclusion of all else.
Guilty as charged.

What Bush did is tantamount to treason (among other things).

Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 PM

218 posts, read 518,519 times
Gotta love when liberals throw "Morality" into the equation....

Both sides decide for themselves what is moral and immoral, I believe killing unborn humans is immoral aside from rape, incest or life threatening condition to the mother.

You can't base your argument on morality when everyone's view of morality is different and expect anyone to all of a sudden espouse your "ideology."

Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
If more Americans had had the courage and the moral fiber that Jane Fonda displayed it is fact that thousands of dead and wounded Americans would not have been, and probably millions of Vietnamese.

The rest of us were shamed. (And clearly many still are.)
And on that note Floyd, I will concede you have your opinion and I have mine.

But moral fiber would not have labelled the returning POWS from Hanoi as "Hypocrites and liars" after the war was over. I just pulled that line out of my overactive imagination.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
And on that note Floyd, I will concede you have your opinion and I have mine.

But moral fiber would not have labelled the returning POWS from Hanoi as "Hypocrites and liars" after the war was over. I just pulled that line out of my overactive imagination.
Some were. I don't off hand recall Fonda saying that, nor do I care one way or another if she did or didn't.

The point was that what she did to help stop the killing was the right thing to do. It saved lives. I am embarassed that I didn't try to do as much as Fonda did.

I am astounded that all these decades later there are people who still don't have a clue though!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
Gotta love when liberals throw "Morality" into the equation....
Somebody has to, and it sure isn't going to be you... :-)
Quote:
You can't base your argument on morality when everyone's view of morality is different and expect anyone to all of a sudden espouse your "ideology."
Ah yes, trying to obfuscate the issue by changing the subject to an issue where what is or isn't moral is open to debate. But in this case there need not be much disagreement, simply because there was never any moral reason to engage in the years we spent killing millions of Vietnamese people, not to mention that there was no morality in sacrificing the lives of tens of thousands of young Americans who thought they were "doing their duty".

Or do you really want to try claiming some part of that was on even an island of moral grounds???

Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM

218 posts, read 518,519 times
I was referring to the comments about Bush lying us into a war and him being characterized at treasonous not about the Vietnam war. Sorry for the confusion.

Some view Saddam Hussein as an evil dictator and regardless of the outcome of the search for WMD's there were justifications for war.

I know most liberal media won't even report the fact that the Iraq War is essentially won, I'm not saying it was pretty or that it was well managed, because it wasn't. I do believe though that the Iraqi people as a whole will be better off tomorrow than they were yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska