Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Subsistence is food production.
Not a sport.
It is amusing to see how Americans weaned on supermarket packaged meat turn squeamish when they stop to think about how it got into that neat package in the first place.

Where I grew up, if you wanted to buy chicken, you went to the market, picked out the bird, have it slaughtered right before your eyes, and took the whole bloody mess home. Even today most of the non-Western world still lives like this.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,652,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Where I grew up, if you wanted to buy chicken, you went to the market, picked out the bird, have it slaughtered right before your eyes, and took the whole bloody mess home. Even today most of the non-Western world still lives like this.
Where I grew up it was even simpler! My dad would ask my mom if she wanted a frier or a boiler. A young rooster was fried chicken and an old hen that wasn't laying as many eggs any more would go into the stew pot. My dad would wait until after sundown, go to the chicken house and pick a chicken off the roost. An experienced chicken farmer can easily determine how many eggs a hen is about to produce in the next few days, and a not so productive hen is selected.

The chicken's neck is wrung or it's head was cut off, depending on the preference of the person preparing the bird. Then we would all help pluck and clean the chicken.

And it would be dinner tomorrow.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
This is a different twist that will upset the clueless left....

DefendersofWildFood.org

Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
Alaska's wolf man, and Shadows on the Koyukuk are a couple of books that talk about the boom-bust cycles that Marty talked about and the effects it has on native villages.
GOOD READS!!!
Very good book, my cabin is up by where he ran his trapline on the Toklat River and Totek Hills. Still lots of wolf in the area, this last week when I went out, there was a pack passing though and left tracks up my runway.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Where I grew up it was even simpler! My dad would ask my mom if she wanted a frier or a boiler. A young rooster was fried chicken and an old hen that wasn't laying as many eggs any more would go into the stew pot. My dad would wait until after sundown, go to the chicken house and pick a chicken off the roost.
The chicken's neck is wrung or it's head was cut off, depending on the preference of the person preparing the bird. Then we would all help pluck and clean the chicken.

And it would be dinner tomorrow.
What you describe would be the case in the villages. In the towns we had the outdoor markets. But no boiled or fried stuff for us. We do the real fiery thing. This is the signature dish of my home -

Chicken Xacuti - Wellsphere

Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
In the villages in Alaska they go out in the rivers, or bays and catch the fish. They go into the woods and shoot the moose, or caribou.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
In the villages in Alaska they go out in the rivers, or bays and catch the fish. They go into the woods and shoot the moose, or caribou.
Do you think Alaskans are unique in this? Do you think people elsewhere do not fish and hunt? There is a term for this kind of mindset (hint: the words 'frog' and 'well' are part of it).

Last edited by notreesininceland; 03-10-2009 at 11:56 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Yeah, I have sorta suspected that the wolf notion of "if it ain't part of the pack, it's part of the food chain" mentality, that gets the wolf in trouble. Man, reserves that thought process for himself. I know that this time of year, my pack will get larger, my wife and I, our dogs and cats, one cockatiel, friends, and the Hummingbirds will be arriving in less than a month, they show up in our woods in great numbers, in the height of summer we will go through a liter of nectar (sugar water) a day, we protect these things, including shooting the crows that eat the baby Hummers. And, because we feed songbirds et al, by extention we feed squirrels and rabbits, and, by extention again this nesting pair of Red Shouldered Hawks that live in a very large Poplar tree down by our creek, that eat the squirrels, doves, and rabbits. Our pack grows a little larger each year, we just got a new puppy. (part beagle, terrier, polish pee hound, rhinoceros, cat, anteater, cookie monster, sneak thief, and cuddle bunny- I think that means "mutt") True to form, our male GSD is training the puppy on acceptable household behavior, he did the same for his daughter when she was a little puppy.
You are bringing hummers...bring them this way...so miss my hummers...our new puppy is GSD training older cockers to be chew...throw toys...not nice right now....our squirrels moved from one side of yard to the other, because cut down two of their trees...we are bad people....

Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
Quote:
Do you think Alaskans are unique in this? Do you think people elsewhere do not fish and hunt? There is a term for this kind of mindset (hint: the words 'frog' and 'well' are part of it).
If you know people do this elsewhere...hunt, fish...you talk of chickens...no different, except way of life here with whatever food is in your end of the world if that is your 'prey' of choice whether domestic or wild...Alaska is vast, you cannot differentiate and inflict views in a specific area because of the vastness...life is as it is in the area you are in...you do as you need to ...don't judge...

Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree that they do. But buying a live chicken at a market is not the same as hunting and fishing for wild game that may or may not be there for you.

It is definitely a step closer to reality than most in the US who buy their pre-packaged or even pre-cooked chicken strips at the local grocery.

I'm not judging you and I'm sorry you took offense. But I will not apologize for trying to point out the difference of a subsistence lifestyle in an arctic environment.

It's a whole new deal when you have to not only survive the frigid cold, but also hunt in the process. It's a completely different deal when you go out to check your nets and have to chop through 3 feet of ice just to see if your net is empty or not. It's a little different when you return to a moose kill for the rest of your meat only to be met by an angry grizzly who has claimed it for himself. Until you have fallen through the ice at -20 degrees by yourself while checking traps and have to survive the night with no shelter and soaking wet you will not know the type of life of an arctic subsistence hunter.

This is not understood by the polished actresses who pass judgment on the Alaskan people.

I no longer live that lifestyle, but I have lived it, and I know it. I will not apologize for explaining the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska