Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM

126 posts, read 299,536 times

Advertisements

As far as my hubands work experiece he has been a [unlicensed]plumber for 12 years in Houston.He also has warehouse experience,he was a surveyor[construction,Brown and Root]as well as ranch work.As far as my 2 oldest sons they have experience in factory work,fastfood,fencing ,masonry. As far as housing goes we were living on a mexican ranch,in Mexico were most houses consist of 2 rooms w/only 3 walls open to the outside,an outdoor kitchen and a outdoor bucket bath[ahhh the luxury of a mexican ranch lol!]We are not looking far a big house,nor are we looking to make $250,000 a yr.We are a normal family used to living day by day on whatever we can scrap up,we do not have high standards of living or unreallistic expectations of what to expect there.We are not looking to be wealthy we just are looking to survive.There are no jobs here and hasn't been for a long while.Besides we've been planning this for 2 yrs. we have been making preperations,finding out all we could,now we're just trying to make human contact,and are praying that everyone there is not a bunch of stuck up unfriendly yankees as we ourselves are open hospitable southerners used to the same lol.No in reality we are very commited,our hose is sold,the plane tickets are bought,and things are not looking to bright down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNana View Post
Oh my. I sincerely hope you are only joking. Alaska is beautiful, the people are friendly, but it is not responsible to move a family of nine, with no jobs, no place to live, and a skill set that doesn't match the local economy. Please re think your plan. Perhaps send the three job seekers up first.
Of course we have been doing job research there!,we are at least partly responsible,as well as we have enough money to survive for a short while.This isn't the 1st time we've up and relocated hunderds or even thousands of miles away.Up until 2 wks ago we were living on the southern border of Michiocan,Mex.The only difference is this time we sold our home and are going to Ak on the down payment we recieved. We are not worried about our ability to make it in Ak we were just hoping for a little contact and help but our survival does not depend on it,it just would be nice to at least have contacts up there[in Mex we were totally depended on our oldest sons translating for us].

Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharuadan View Post

Of course we have been doing job research there!,we are at least partly responsible,as well as we have enough money to survive for a short while.This isn't the 1st time we've up and relocated hunderds or even thousands of miles away.Up until 2 wks ago we were living on the southern border of Michiocan,Mex.The only difference is this time we sold our home and are going to Ak on the down payment we recieved. We are not worried about our ability to make it in Ak we were just hoping for a little contact and help but our survival does not depend on it,it just would be nice to at least have contacts up there[in Mex we were totally depended on our oldest sons translating for us].
You say you have enough money for a short while. May I ask what a "short while" is? Feeding 9 people is one heck of an expense, along with rent/deposit, gasoline, etc. You may have a rough time finding a place big enough for that many family members. I would strongly urge you to do more research unless you have thousands put away to last "at least" 8 months or more. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,727,193 times
As far as housing goes we were living on a mexican ranch,in Mexico were most houses consist of 2 rooms w/only 3 walls open to the outside,an outdoor kitchen and a outdoor bucket bath[ahhh the luxury of a mexican ranch lol!]We are not looking far a big house,nor are we looking to make $250,000 a yr.We are a normal family used to living day by day on whatever we can scrap up,we do not have high standards of living or unreallistic expectations of what to expect there.

I do so hope this is a joke...you will freeze to death the first winter. And 9 family members??? Landlords are a bit different and you may find it very difficult to find even a large apartment or house owner that will allow 9 people in.

We are not worried about our ability to make it in Ak we were just hoping for a little contact and help but our survival does not depend on it,it just would be nice to at least have contacts up there[in Mex we were totally depended on our oldest sons translating for us].

Ahhh ....anyone know of Mexican/Spanish translators??? Please do some more home work and just that you have the down payment on your house does not mean the sale will go thru...think several times before you commit to this.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Okay, more information is good. I think most here do not want you to come here and fail so we express our concern when someone new comes in and asks for information on jobs, places to live and says they're moving up in 2 weeks. My first thought was, did you decide to do this yesterday? With the added information, we see a more broad skill set that could fit jobs here. However, as said earlier, layoffs are occurring so getting a job can take longer than normal.

You mentioned mobile homes. Here are a couple of links to local parks:

Dimond Estates Mobile Home Park

Southwood Homes - Alaskan Mobile Home Parks

Here's a listing:

Alaska Mobile Home Parks - Alaska Manufactured Home Communities - AK

I have no idea what's there. In general, housing will cost you anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500 in Anchorage. Mobile homes may be cheaper, but I have no idea. Food will cost you from 25% to 100% more than the Texas area at a guess. Some items will be priced about the same, but fresh fruit and veggies can be double or more.

Like everywhere else, vehicles are selling poorly, so you might get a good deal on a car, especially a van or other low miles/gal vehicle. There are several new and used car lots. Many here also buy in the Seattle area and have it barged up or drive up.

Hope this helps and good luck with your adventure.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,920,669 times
I don't see a family of 9 living on less than $2-3,000 per month. Housing, utilities, food, etc. And that's a minimum. My heating bill alone was $235 for January and that was for a condo in Anchorage for just 2 of us.

We don't want to discourage you from moving, just want you to know that there are many storys out there of families moving to Alaska with a dream of a fresh start only to have wasted their savings while looking for a job that may only pay $8/hour.

It was 20 below in Anchorage this winter. Do you have warm clothes for your entire family?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
I'll put the positive spin on this. You can do it. You guys sound like you don't need much. Your coming at a good time of year, pre-tourist season. So there are some short term accomodations that aren't outrageous. WalMart type jobs are out there. Summer tourist jobs are coming up. Always McDonalds etc.

craigslist: alaska classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Craigslist is a very good resource for some of the stuff/contacts your looking for. I'm sure your aware their are lots of scammers out there. Don't send anyone money in advance for housing.

The one problem I see is 9 people in one housing unit. If you don't mind some of the seedier parts of town like Mountain View I'm sure you can find a landlord that will rent to you. I've seen 8 Filipinos in a one bedroom apartment so I know it can be done. Then once you get jobs and a vehicle you can get out and start looking for something better.

You have a tough row to hoe. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Okay, more information is good. I think most here do not want you to come here and fail so we express our concern when someone new comes in and asks for information on jobs, places to live and says they're moving up in 2 weeks. My first thought was, did you decide to do this yesterday? With the added information, we see a more broad skill set that could fit jobs here. However, as said earlier, layoffs are occurring so getting a job can take longer than normal.

You mentioned mobile homes. Here are a couple of links to local parks:

Dimond Estates Mobile Home Park

Southwood Homes - Alaskan Mobile Home Parks

Here's a listing:

Alaska Mobile Home Parks - Alaska Manufactured Home Communities - AK

I have no idea what's there. In general, housing will cost you anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500 in Anchorage. Mobile homes may be cheaper, but I have no idea. Food will cost you from 25% to 100% more than the Texas area at a guess. Some items will be priced about the same, but fresh fruit and veggies can be double or more.

Like everywhere else, vehicles are selling poorly, so you might get a good deal on a car, especially a van or other low miles/gal vehicle. There are several new and used car lots. Many here also buy in the Seattle area and have it barged up or drive up.

Hope this helps and good luck with your adventure.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Good luck to you. Stiff is right about Craigslist; you also might want to look on coolworks.com.

The concerns that people have expressed here are very valid ones, but you sound determined and resourceful.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,881,664 times
Exclamation For The Unemployed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharuadan View Post
My family and I are finally on our way!,we've sold our house,lived on a ranch,learning how to tend to animals[fresh cow milk was awesome],learned plowing,irrigation,everything one does on a ranch by hand,no machines.Anyhow we will arrive in Anc. on April 2nd.Can anyone offer any helpful advice,know of any cheap housing,Im looking for a trailer,also need car,hopefully van[We have 9 people in all],My husband and 2 oldest sons will need work.Can anyone give me any info that will help?I'm looking forward to getting there,we've dreamed of this a long time.thanks.
I believe most of the ranching in Alaska would be in the Matanuska Valley, north of Anchorage some 50 miles. (Palmer, Wasilla) But nowhere near the levels that you find in Texas. (I wouldn't even pursue a job along those lines here) Houses and housing in Anchorage is very expensive...I have friends who've moved away from there because of that. (and the associated property taxes). Less so in the smaller towns and cities just to the north of Anchorage: Birchwood, Eagle River, Chugiak, Palmer, Wasilla. There are plenty of used car lots all over Anchorage. (also in Wasilla and Soldotna), and also dozens of used cars listed for sale by private party in the local papers. You won't have a problem finding a car...

About jobs: here's a little tip for your consideration: think about becoming a corrections officer with the State of Alaska Dept of Corrections. Most people will not consider this. Why not? Because they have pre-conceived false (negative) ideas of what it is like. Most of the time, they are wrong. Yes, there are bad and stressful days, but the good days vastly outnumber the bad. Consider this: starting pay is $18.03/hr to $24.88/hr (depending on location), you work one week on (seven 12-hr days in a row), then you get the entire following week off, to do whatever you want, and go wherever you want..., (generally called the "one on/one off" work schedule), there is a retirement pension plan, there is full medical and dental insurance, and you need absolutely NO EXPERIENCE...just a willingness to show up and work. It doesn't matter whether you are male or female. They will train you and supply you with everything you need, including clothing and gear. Most of the guys I know and work with are making between $22 and $28/hr, after 7 or 8 yrs of promotion and experience on the job. This is pretty darn good pay, considering...
These positions are in several different cities in Alaska...some remote, some not. Why am I telling you this? Because...it sounds like you are willing to do anything to get rooted here, and are determined to come here anyway, regardless of what you will find. You could do A LOT worse than what I'm suggesting. There seems to be always a shortage of applicants...somehow most people think it's a bad place to work...it's NOT! I think most are making a huge mistake when they pass this by...the state is GREAT to work for. And being home for what amounts to 6 months a year is a HUGE plus, and just knowing your entire family is covered in case of a medical emergency...

Department of Corrections

I think you owe it to yourself to at least check it out, think about it. (especially if you have no job anyway)
Since I actually work for these guys (not as an officer), I will add this little disclaimer to "CMA" (in case they figure out who I am here): the above comments are strictly my opinion, nobody told me to write any of this, it may not be 100% accurate in all details, and is not neccessarily the opinion of the S.O.A., and/or the Dept of Corrections! (but...to the best of my knowledge, I've told you the truth!)

Good luck!
Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska