Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times

Advertisements

1500 miles? When did the race get this long?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Even a third grade child would find 5 frozen dogs unacceptable.....look.....you attempt to make pulling a sled 1500 miles through torturous conditions with someone mushing you on sound like "strenuous exercise"....like jogging or running on a tread mill.....are you serious ?
No, you are the one making a completely unsubstantiated claim. 5 dogs out of 1000 is 0.5%. Where is your proof that this is an unacceptably high our unusual mortality rate for any given population of dogs? In fact, given a population of 1000 dogs at almost any animal shelter in the US, I can gaurantee they can expect a higher than 0.5% mortality rate.

Oh that's right, never mind, you are mathematically challenged.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
1. The only aerial shooting of wolves is done and sanctioned by the department of fish and game. Not by some "kill-crazy" wolf hating fanatic.

2. It is against the law for any hunter with a license to hunt from a plane. It is against the law for any hunter to fly and shoot on the same day. Alaska state law.

3. Any hunter violating any rules on hunting doesn't only face the wrath of the state, but from other hunters and citizens. The game laws are in place to insure that game is taken properly, within the sanctioned areas and by the laws set forth by the State of Alaska.

4. Licenses to hunt wolves from planes are NOT available. In any way, form or fashion. Aerial predator control (as stated so many times before in so many other forums addressing this particular issue) is performed by the state Department of Fish & Game.

Which of these previous points do you not understand? Let me know, I can break them out from the law books for you.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Palin was proud to announce that she is an advocate for aerial wolf hunting from a helicopter. Like this is actually hunting ? Chasing a wolf in a helicopter till it drops from exhaustion and then shooting it in the head while it lies there helpless. I am not against hunting but to label this as either hunting or sport is ridiculous !!!
On second thought, never mind, you have utterly discredited any past or future post made by you on this subject. There is no aerial hunting of wolves or any other animal in Alaska. Your words are simply a collosal jumble of meaningless drivel.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
No, you are the one making a completely unsubstantiated claim. 5 dogs out of 1000 is 0.5%. Where is your proof that this is an unacceptably high our unusual mortality rate for any given population of dogs? In fact, given a population of 1000 dogs at almost any animal shelter in the US, I can gaurantee they can expect a higher than 0.5% mortality rate.

Oh that's right, never mind, you are mathematically challenged.
Isn't any single lost dog one too many? We are not talking about ants or algae, but highly developed mammals

Old 03-24-2009, 02:01 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,088 times
sorry you guys have to deal with peta. i remember here in oklahoma they wanted a town to change its name from slaughterville to veggiville.
Slaughterville, OK was named after a grocery store run by James Slaughter in the early 20th century. That name was the subject of controversy in 2004 when People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) asked Slaughterville administrator Marsha Blair to rename the town.
“I am writing on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, our 800,000 members and supporters, and other compassionate Americans to ask Slaughterville to change its name — which conjures up images of the violent and bloody deaths of terrified chickens, pigs and cows — to Veggieville, a friendly name honoring a heart-healthy and compassionate alternative to animal corpses,” the letter said. PETA promised to donate $20,000 in veggie burgers to the town school district. However, the town does not have a school district all its own.
Members of Slaughterville's town council amicably heard presentations by members of PETA before voting against the suggestion. More than a dozen people at the standing room only meeting offered opinions on why the town should keep its name. Even with negotiations of stray animal shelters, or a spay/neuter program for low-income Slaughterville residents, the town still rejected the request. PETA, in effort to win the town over, gave away free veggie burgers and information about the vegan lifestyle before the town council meeting. The citizens of Slaughterville voiced their opinion by serving free hot dogs and brandishing signs that read, “Beef: it's what's for dinner.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
You have to love the experts on Alaska and they way we live by people from outside...

Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree. In Germany hunting has basically come to be considered OK only where it serves to replace missing predators such as bears and wolves which would keep deer in check in a natural way. But hunting as a sport is pretty much frowned upon by society.
You must be an urban person then, because I chat now and then with some Germans, from more rural areas, hunting is alive and well in Germany...odd how those most oppose to hunting and such are those the furthest disconnected from the natural world.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Well....there were SEVERAL interviews on TV during the campaign where she spoke about this and her involvement in this "sport"......over 300 million of us saw it.....and no ....I'm sure it wasn't Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live. I'm surprised you missed it.......perhaps if you had electricity in your cave you might have been able to see it on TV too ?
No, she didn't. That is another lie by someone who spews only lies. Typical lesser-48er scum.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
sorry you guys have to deal with peta. i remember here in oklahoma they wanted a town to change its name from slaughterville to veggiville.
Slaughterville, OK was named after a grocery store run by James Slaughter in the early 20th century. That name was the subject of controversy in 2004 when People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) asked Slaughterville administrator Marsha Blair to rename the town.
“I am writing on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, our 800,000 members and supporters, and other compassionate Americans to ask Slaughterville to change its name — which conjures up images of the violent and bloody deaths of terrified chickens, pigs and cows — to Veggieville, a friendly name honoring a heart-healthy and compassionate alternative to animal corpses,” the letter said. PETA promised to donate $20,000 in veggie burgers to the town school district. However, the town does not have a school district all its own.
Members of Slaughterville's town council amicably heard presentations by members of PETA before voting against the suggestion. More than a dozen people at the standing room only meeting offered opinions on why the town should keep its name. Even with negotiations of stray animal shelters, or a spay/neuter program for low-income Slaughterville residents, the town still rejected the request. PETA, in effort to win the town over, gave away free veggie burgers and information about the vegan lifestyle before the town council meeting. The citizens of Slaughterville voiced their opinion by serving free hot dogs and brandishing signs that read, “Beef: it's what's for dinner.
Gee, that's embarrassing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska