U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM

5,964 posts, read 7,010,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, but why do people feel the need to have animal friends? Because they have been traumatized and neglected by humans. I am not against having pets in general, but I do think we should take care of humans first. Pets would then be more like a bonus so to speak.
Can you tell me what you, yourself, has done or is doing to take care of humans? Are you feeding them? Giving them money? Paying their bills? Just curious here how you think we should take care of humans first. There is a welfare system for those that have fallen on hard times and for those who are just too lazy to work or help themselves. There are charities that
help.

And most pet owners will tell you they'll trust their animal/s more then most humans. I don't feel any "need" to have animals. It's because I want to; I enjoy them.

But I would like to know what you are doing to help humans.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM

15,956 posts, read 15,553,155 times
Quote:
Yes, but why do people feel the need to have animal friends? Because they have been traumatized and neglected by humans. I am not against having pets in general, but I do think we should take care of humans first. Pets would then be more like a bonus so to speak.
Think of this hypothetical example: You go to the supermarket and when you leave, there is an homeless person sitting on the floor in front of it. So you pass that person, holding a big box of dog food, passing the eyes of the homeless as you pass that person without paying any attention to him or her
Not necessarily.

Some people simply feel that their quality of life is enhanced by their animal friends. I love mine very much--it's as simple as that.

I do give to charities but rarely to people on the street. One exception would be a couple of New Years Eves ago...I had a horrible cold and went to the store for some Nyquil. A (probably) homeless couple outside the store asked for some money to help them buy a bottle of Thunderbird or some such and get tanked. I gave them a bit because I appreciated their honesty.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 PM

21,016 posts, read 22,200,837 times
Quote:
funcionamento cães Podes falar-me em inglês, acho que será melhor, rapaz Alem disso, não es chefe do forum, quer dizer, quando gostamos de falar sobre Palin, sim vamos falar sobre ela

Isto não tem nada a ver com Palin embora. Não faz sentido em trazer-la em um cão fórum.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:22 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,940,869 times
Quote:
Think of this hypothetical example: You go to the supermarket and when you leave, there is a homeless person sitting on the floor in front of it. So you pass that person, carrying a big box of dog food passing before the eyes of the homeless as you pass that person by without paying any attention to him or her He or she must feel like ****.
You need a reality check. Many people on the street have been helped multiple times and refuse to take the few steps you ask to keep theirselves up. I know this for a fact, this has been an ongoing issue with a family member of mine. I repeatedly help only to watch them sit on their butt and fall back yet again. Their are more people out there caring than you believe. I have done volunteer work off and on most my life, yet you seem to want to guilt someone for having pets. I'm not buying it.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:23 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,457,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not necessarily.

Some people simply feel that their quality of life is enhanced by their animal friends. I love mine very much--it's as simple as that.

I do give to charities but rarely to people on the street. One exception would be a couple of New Years Eves ago...I had a horrible cold and went to the store for some Nyquil. A (probably) homeless couple outside the store asked for some money to help them buy a bottle of Thunderbird or some such and get tanked. I gave them a bit because I appreciated their honesty.
You should have just given them the Nyquil and bought the Thunderbird for youreself.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 PM

15,956 posts, read 15,553,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
You should have just given them the Nyquil and bought the Thunderbird for youreself.
I'm not sure I could choke that stuff down.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,457,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Does this guy know there aren't many NOAA stations in the middle of nowhere? Where people aren't around for hundreds of miles? Has he heard that the Bering is the "Birthplace of the Winds"? Or that weather can come up and change inless than 3 hours? Has he ever been in the weather beyond the city, without a "local" forecaster? Where radio stations aren't heard except in the immediate areas surrounding towns of 2,000 people or more?
Half the trail lies in areas outside of NOAA Radar coverage. But I can understand it's a difficult concept coming from a place with 10 people per square inch.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:37 PM

21,016 posts, read 22,200,837 times
Probably doesn't know where Nome or any other of the checkpoints are...

Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM

17,646 posts, read 11,238,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Does this guy know there aren't many NOAA stations in the middle of nowhere? Where people aren't around for hundreds of miles? Has he heard that the Bering is the "Birthplace of the Winds"? Or that weather can come up and change inless than 3 hours? Has he ever been in the weather beyond the city, without a "local" forecaster? Where radio stations aren't heard except in the immediate areas surrounding towns of 2,000 people or more?

The weather develops on the Bering. This is the place where we can lose 2-3 fishing boats every year. YOUR weather is directly influenced by the weather that develops on the Bering. My son has done 8 months on boats in the Bering. I have spent 9 years in small patrol craft in nasty weather, but nothing compares to the weather that can develop in hours on the Bering. A squall crossing St. Lawrence can turn into the nastiest front that you can conceive as the cold air pushes it south to the Aleutians and the winds that might be concurrent with that Arctic front are BRUTAL. But you know about winter weather, so all that time I spent on the Bering or off the Beaufort counts for not much in the eyes of a weather maven like you. People in this state are stupid, because they carry Arctic rated gear in their cars from September to May, but God only knows, no one freezes in Alaska. We get regular weather forecasts, just like America. The family that froze to death on the Parks Highway, well that's just an urban myth. The lore we teach our children, well that's overkill, because we're overprotective. People haven't died within 5 miles of Anchorage of hypothermia. Those deaths are urban myths too. We're just trying to scare our kids into staying home. People don't die of that out on the tundra every year. No dogs, just people. But hey, that's urban myth too. Too bad we don't have a lot of urban to go with those myths.
The guy clearly has no intelligence to insult, and just demonstrates his complete ignorance of Alaska with every post he makes. Weather can change within an hour, and nobody has ever yet predicted the weather accurately more than one day in advance except in the most general of terms.

The most "accurate" weather report I have heard actually came from George Carlin:

Quote:
If you take a look at tonight's weather map, you will see that we don't have one. So try to picture last night's weather map in your mind. The weather was dominated by a large Canadian Low, which should not be confused with a Mexican High.

Tonight's forecast will be dark. Continued dark throughout the night, turning into widely scattered light by morning.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:08 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,293,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Half the trail lies in areas outside of NOAA Radar coverage. But I can understand it's a difficult concept coming from a place with 10 people per square inch.
This guy comes from a place where they follow developing weather patterns and predict weather by satellite .......I assure you that they can see and follow weather patterns in Alaska too.....even your weather on the coast and areas not covered by NOAA !!!! Welcome to the 21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska